Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am ashamed to say that I have not yet read......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never read the book but Will agree with Siep on the movie, NOT AT ALL SCARY and most certainly extremely boring.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
      I wonder what it takes to scare Frik if that movie did not.
      One movie that really scared me was Wait Until Dark, with an amazing performance by Audrey Hepburn.

Actually, I should say, the climax of the movie scared me. I remember sitting on the edge of my seat (literally), hands in front of my eyes....peeking....looking away again...
      That was scary.
      The Exorcist had the occasional booh-moments, but it just wasn't scary...to me.

sk

Comment

That is one creepy looking guy.I might have to check out that movie.

Comment

Another movie for my TBW list! Thanks, Siep! (Loved Way of the Arrows, BTW.)
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Wow TBR and TBW.If I started a TBW pile it would be bigger then my TBR pile.

Comment

Originally posted by Teriw View Post
              I dont agree. Just because your ashamed you haven't read something doesn't mean you think you SHOULD read it. The ones I picked are ones I REALLY wanna read but ya can't read em all at once.
              I understand what you're saying... perhaps it comes down to semantics. To me, a sense of shame originates from outside influences - if I neglect to brush my teeth, I don't feel ashamed, even though it's something I should have done. I just didn't do it. No biggie. Now, extend that to going out in public with bad breath and food stuck in my teeth - then yes, I would be ashamed of the way I'm presenting myself to other people because of something I failed to do.

Or I could not take a shower for a few days and walk around the house with smelly armpits - no problem. But if I then go out in public and am aware of the way I smell and I start thinking of how other people will react when they smell me and realize I haven't taken a shower, then yes, I would feel a sense of "shame" for not having taken a shower - but only because it's the "acceptable" thing to do in society. In private, it doesn't matter at all.

So to me, whether or not I've read a book has no bearing or influence on the outside world, and therefore there is no "shame" for me for not having done so. That's where I'm coming from, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
                S'all good, however; I'm still giving Xiabei Rep Points for a brilliant analysis on how he/she sees the question
                Thank you. This male appreciates it.

I suppose I do tend to overthink things sometimes, though; see my response to Teriw.

Comment

Maybe so, but it's damn good reading just the same

Comment

Originally posted by Xiabei View Post
                    I understand what you're saying... perhaps it comes down to semantics. To me, a sense of shame originates from outside influences - if I neglect to brush my teeth, I don't feel ashamed, even though it's something I should have done. I just didn't do it. No biggie. Now, extend that to going out in public with bad breath and food stuck in my teeth - then yes, I would be ashamed of the way I'm presenting myself to other people because of something I failed to do.

Or I could not take a shower for a few days and walk around the house with smelly armpits - no problem. But if I then go out in public and am aware of the way I smell and I start thinking of how other people will react when they smell me and realize I haven't taken a shower, then yes, I would feel a sense of "shame" for not having taken a shower - but only because it's the "acceptable" thing to do in society. In private, it doesn't matter at all.

So to me, whether or not I've read a book has no bearing or influence on the outside world, and therefore there is no "shame" for me for not having done so. That's where I'm coming from, anyway.
                    I really do hope you are showering and brushing your teeth though, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Teriw View Post
                      I really do hope you are showering and brushing your teeth though, lol.
                      I knew that was coming, haha. I kept thinking I should have used different examples!

Comment

Originally posted by Xiabei View Post

Very well put!

Comment

Yea.I agree.The shower thing is funny.Every July I spend a week at Boyscout camp.The only indoor building is the mess hall.By Thursday it smells like wet dog.The kids think if you are swimming that should take care of the smell.Well boys will be boys.

Comment

Yea.I agree.The shower thing is funny.Every July I spend a week at Boyscout camp.The only indoor building is the mess hall.By Thursday it smells like wet dog.The kids think if you are swimming that should take care of the smell.Well boys will be boys.
                            Speaking of smelly kids, I remember my 4th Grade teacher telling our class that we need to start showering in the morning using deodorant.

Comment

Anyway if you like it read it if not stop and move on.I had to do that with Weaveworld last week.It's like Ghost Story.I have not read it yet.Plan to this year.However I find Straubs shorter works more enjoyable then his longer books.

Comment

Anyway if you like it read it if not stop and move on.I had to do that with Weaveworld last week.It's like Ghost Story.I have not read it yet.Plan to this year.However I find Straubs shorter works more enjoyable then his longer books.
                                I remember reading Weaveworld a long time ago; may have to check it out again. Haven't thought of that one in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X