Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am ashamed to say that I have not yet read......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think what books you read in high school vary by state. I know at our school they cycled the books on a 4 year rotation so everyone was pretty much reading the same thing. Maybe to prevent cheating??

All I remember reading tho was The Crucible, Animal Farm(although I read both that and 1984 in middle school), The Scarlet Letter, all of Shakespeare, and To Kill a Mockingbird. And I graduated in 2002.

Comment

At least at my school it really varied by teacher. Some teachers didn't even do the book reports.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by jester05jk View Post
        I think what books you read in high school vary by state. I know at our school they cycled the books on a 4 year rotation so everyone was pretty much reading the same thing. Maybe to prevent cheating??

All I remember reading tho was The Crucible, Animal Farm(although I read both that and 1984 in middle school), The Scarlet Letter, all of Shakespeare, and To Kill a Mockingbird. And I graduated in 2002.
        All of Shakespeare!!! I see you're in the Baltimore area & I grew up around here too. Back in the 80s we handled one Shakespeare play each year, and they were the more famous/important ones.

Oh, and I just remembered "Of Mice and Men" was assigned in 10th and I read "Grapes of Wrath" in 11th grade.
        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          At least at my school it really varied by teacher. Some teachers didn't even do the book reports.
          I loved my 12th grade English teacher. An English term paper is required for graduation in the state, so we had to do one. however Mr. Fieldhouse understood how busy we were and that he wasn't going to force another "research" paper on us. His plan worked well with his "sped-ed" class (yes, his actual words), so we were permitted to turn in a term paper that was completely made up. Of course it had to have proper foot-noting, quotes, and a properly formatted bibliography even if we did make up the sources. I took my idea from him when he made a remark earlier in the year about how Isaac Asimov could never have written all the books attributed to him. I checked it out and even at that time (1984), Asimov had written well over 300 books. So my report was written in 2020, after Asimov's death and the discover that he was actually a whole society or "Association of Scientists, Inventors, Mathematicians and Other Vocations" who all decided to write under one psuedonym.
          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

There are so many books that I haven't read that I don't even know where to begin..I can say I've read Dracula and The Catcher in the Rye. And I haven't read War and Peace, either...don't know if I want to get into that one..

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              That sounds exactly like the 2 schools I went to lol.

Comment

Originally posted by tweetygirl0606 View Post
                There are so many books that I haven't read that I don't even know where to begin..I can say I've read Dracula and The Catcher in the Rye. And I haven't read War and Peace, either...don't know if I want to get into that one..
                Catcher in the Rye! I remember hearing so much about it I guess after Lennon was shot, and I decided to read it myself and it remains one of the most great novels I've ever read. It's amazing it was written in the 40's and I could relate to the kid in the book 100%. But I don't understand the author? Why did he become some recluse?? I heard he died about a year ago.

Comment

The Haunting of Hill House byShirley Jackson. Someone's post in their collection thread remeinded me that I had not read this one. And the TBR continues to grow (after I'd whittled it down so far...).
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Yes you must read haunting great book.If you have not read it her short stry collection is awsome to.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                      The Haunting of Hill House byShirley Jackson. Someone's post in their collection thread remeinded me that I had not read this one. And the TBR continues to grow (after I'd whittled it down so far...).
                      I've wanted to read this however my library system does not have this book and they cannot locate one for me...
                      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Squire and cope, you must both read The Haunting of Hill House. If you don't own a copy, you should be able to find some copy for a few bucks somewhere. It is one of the finest haunted house stories ever written.

Comment

You can find it cheap on Amazon if you want to purchase it. I still need to read it as well
                          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                          Spoiler!

Comment

I know, I keep debating whether I want to do that or get a really nice copy of it. I could always find a $.01 copy of it, and throw it in my paperback collection, I guess, til I decide...
                            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

The Wilds by Richard Laymon.

I heard a while ago that this was going to be released again in paperback - was that Leisure?
                              Tasmaniac Publications - dedicated to quality horror and crime
                              http://www.tasmaniacpublications.com

Comment

I hadn't heard that about The Wilds, but that would be cool. If it was Leisure who was going to publish it (Which I am quite sure would be correct as they published a lot of his paperback stuff) then we'll have to see if another publisher picks it up being Leisure/Dorchester Publications/DP (They started using DP to fool people into not realizing it was Dorchester) is basically a dead company at this point. There is a large boycott of their stuff, which I fully support and won't be buying a single thing published by them except from places like Half Price Books since I know those books were paid for already (though whether the authors were paid is another question).n Even then, unless I REALLY want the book I won't even buy a Leisure book from any source at all
                                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                                Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                                X