Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post

A couple of lifetimes ago I had a girlfriend attending University of Puget Sound. We ventured up into Seattle to meet some people at a bar. The only thing I remember about the bar is that it was near the Space Needle and had a live Parrot. When we were in the area the group all wanted to go to Starbucks. We went to one and there was a line and the coffee was strong to the point of being undrinkable. On the way out I noticed that across the street was another Starbucks with just as long a line. At the time I thought "this place will never make it." I may have been wrong but the way they make their coffee still sucks!
    It's an acquired taste, and after over 30 years in Seattle, it's long since acquired. Now if I try any type of espresso drink that doesn't have that burnt, acrid bite that Starbucks has, I think, Whoa, this is way too smooth and bland. In truth, that smoothness likely signifies a better quality coffee drink, but once the flavor buds lock in on "what's right" it's hard to convince them that they're wrong. I'm not the only one, though...this area used to have two other chains -- Tully's Coffee and Seattle's Best Coffee, both which had that smooth-profile coffee -- and both have, I believe, long since shut down all (most?) their retail cafe operations. Now it's just primarily Starbucks and the indies.

And if you think that the Seattle area gets snobby and haughty about their coffee, you don't know the meaning of snobbery until you've visited this mecca of coffee pretension:

https://www.starbucksreserve.com/en-...ations/seattle
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

It's an acquired taste, and after over 30 years in Seattle, it's long since acquired. Now if I try any type of espresso drink that doesn't have that burnt, acrid bite that Starbucks has, I think, Whoa, this is way too smooth and bland. In truth, that smoothness likely signifies a better quality coffee drink, but once the flavor buds lock in on "what's right" it's hard to convince them that they're wrong. I'm not the only one, though...this area used to have two other chains -- Tully's Coffee and Seattle's Best Coffee, both which had that smooth-profile coffee -- and both have, I believe, long since shut down all (most?) their retail cafe operations. Now it's just primarily Starbucks and the indies.

And if you think that the Seattle area gets snobby and haughty about their coffee, you don't know the meaning of snobbery until you've visited this mecca of coffee pretension:

https://www.starbucksreserve.com/en-...ations/seattle
      Seattle's Best was my Seattle coffee go to for a while. Starbucks actually bought them and destroyed them from the inside. If I recall correctly the Lawyer Michael Avenati(SP?) and a TV star whose name I do not recall tried to buy Tully's out of bankruptcy. After succeeding in the bankruptcy proceedings the then failed miserably and were shut down. Someone bought the name Tully's and markets coffee under that name but it has nothing to do with the original company. The best coffee is being roasted in Cannon Beach Oregon at Sleepy Monk Coffee – Sleepy Monk Coffee Roasters - Cannon Beach, Oregon.

Comment

Seattle's Best was my Seattle coffee go to for a while. Starbucks actually bought them and destroyed them from the inside. If I recall correctly the Lawyer Michael Avenati(SP?) and a TV star whose name I do not recall tried to buy Tully's out of bankruptcy. After succeeding in the bankruptcy proceedings the then failed miserably and were shut down. Someone bought the name Tully's and markets coffee under that name but it has nothing to do with the original company. The best coffee is being roasted in Cannon Beach Oregon at Sleepy Monk Coffee – Sleepy Monk Coffee Roasters - Cannon Beach, Oregon.
        I haven't tried that coffee, but my in-laws live on the Oregon coast (though much further south than Cannon Beach), so I'll give it a shot the next time we're down there.

Comment

A couple of lifetimes ago I had a girlfriend attending University of Puget Sound. We ventured up into Seattle to meet some people at a bar. The only thing I remember about the bar is that it was near the Space Needle and had a live Parrot. When we were in the area the group all wanted to go to Starbucks. We went to one and there was a line and the coffee was strong to the point of being undrinkable. On the way out I noticed that across the street was another Starbucks with just as long a line. At the time I thought "this place will never make it." I may have been wrong but the way they make their coffee still sucks!
          The next thing you'll be telling us is that those pals were Cobain, Grohl, and Vedder.

I've always thought of coffee as something my parents and grandparents drank. I guess I just never grew into it. Plus, it's not naturally sweet and that doesn't appeal to me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

The next thing you'll be telling us is that those pals were Cobain, Grohl, and Vedder.

I've always thought of coffee as something my parents and grandparents drank. I guess I just never grew into it. Plus, it's not naturally sweet and that doesn't appeal to me at all.
            I am older than that so the Seattle Grunge scene had not begun back then, Cobain was probably still in Aberdeen. I do not care for sweet so I love a well roasted coffee made strong but no to the point of bitterness. This rules out Starbucks and all the companies out there trying to mimic them.

Comment

Here’s something that I only learned a few years ago: Lighter roast coffee has more caffeine than dark roast coffee, because the roasting process leaches out the caffeine. So if you want a jolt in the morning, go with a lighter blend…seems contradictory, but there it is.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                Here’s something that I only learned a few years ago: Lighter roast coffee has more caffeine than dark roast coffee, because the roasting process leaches out the caffeine. So if you want a jolt in the morning, go with a lighter blend…seems contradictory, but there it is.
                The roasting is measured by the points when the bean cracks and each crack reduces caffeine. Full roast coffee is roasted to the end of the second crack. This coffee has the most flavor and the least caffeine. When made right it tastes fantastic. Starbucks has convinced people that more coffee is better and it is much too often brewed to the point of destruction.

Used to manage a store that had a tenant who was a local version of Starbucks. Unfortunately they mimic Starbucks in how they prepare their coffee but talking to the owner Jim I learned a lot. They also make there own treats. They have what is probably the best cookie I have ever had. It is a Praline pecan cookie and is called "Jimbo's Hippy Cookie". I asked Jim about the name once and he said it was the name of a customer who asked them to make a Praline cookie. They are still around Home | jimandpattys. Ad if you want caffeine their Black Tiger blend will kick your butt! These guys also do not roast coffee. They buy from a local roaster and create unique blends.

Comment

My Daughter is a coffee snob, I am not. 33 years of Army coffee has ruined my palate. I have had, brown, green and gray coffee. I once had coffee that had gasoline remnants mixed in with it. My three favorite places to get coffee, in no order, are MacDonald's, WAWA, 7-11 LOl!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                    My Daughter is a coffee snob, I am not. 33 years of Army coffee has ruined my palate. I have had, brown, green and gray coffee. I once had coffee that had gasoline remnants mixed in with it. My three favorite places to get coffee, in no order, are MacDonald's, WAWA, 7-11 LOl!!
                    What is WAWA?

Comment

What is WAWA?
                      It's like Heaven, but they let anybody in LOL!!
                      https://www.wawa.com/about/locations/store-locator

Comment

It's like Heaven, but they let anybody in LOL!!
                        https://www.wawa.com/about/locations/store-locator
                        They have some nice sandwich selections. According to their website they will not deliver Washington.

Comment

I am older than that so the Seattle Grunge scene had not begun back then, Cobain was probably still in Aberdeen. I do not care for sweet so I love a well roasted coffee made strong but no to the point of bitterness. This rules out Starbucks and all the companies out there trying to mimic them.
                          Tongue in cheek, my friend as I figure you're well my senior. You had me at cookie in other post though

Comment

Only the best for the men and women in uniform, uh Mike LOL. I'm sure that MRE coffee was to die for, literally!

Comment

The roasting is measured by the points when the bean cracks and each crack reduces caffeine. Full roast coffee is roasted to the end of the second crack. This coffee has the most flavor and the least caffeine. When made right it tastes fantastic. Starbucks has convinced people that more coffee is better and it is much too often brewed to the point of destruction.

Used to manage a store that had a tenant who was a local version of Starbucks. Unfortunately they mimic Starbucks in how they prepare their coffee but talking to the owner Jim I learned a lot. They also make there own treats. They have what is probably the best cookie I have ever had. It is a Praline pecan cookie and is called "Jimbo's Hippy Cookie". I asked Jim about the name once and he said it was the name of a customer who asked them to make a Praline cookie. They are still around Home | jimandpattys. Ad if you want caffeine their Black Tiger blend will kick your butt! These guys also do not roast coffee. They buy from a local roaster and create unique blends.
                              Only been in Starbucks once with a coworker. Had the hot chocolate and it sucked. We have convenient stores here called QuikTrip. Best hot chocolate ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Tongue in cheek, my friend as I figure you're well my senior. You had me at cookie in other post though
                                The Jimmie's Hippie Cookies are amazing. Probably been 10 years since I had one. This conversation may make me venture over to get one!

Comment

Working...
                                X