Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

I had an incident earlier this summer when postal service was really bad. Someone purchased a set of DVD's from me and they paid pronto. I sent it out right away and Inc!uded the tracking number along with a note explaining that due to COVID postal service has been slow. Every other day they emailed me demanding I find out where there package was. Each time I explained to them again and told them to refer to their tracking information. Finally they got really belligerent and threatened to leave me a bad review. I told them to go ahead as I have all of their emails and that what they were doing constituted as harassment. I then told them to never ever purchase anything from me again because I wouldn't sell them anything even if I was desperate for money. The emails stopped and after their package arrived they left me a wonderful review.
    Glad your situation worked out well. It's unfortunate some people feel so free to harass and verbally abuse with such casualness, protected behind their screen and eBay's buyer-friendly policies, but it is what it is, and if I suppose if one continues to sell they just have to do so with that understanding that those kind of folks are out there. I do think my situation involved mental illness...I can't conceive of any other reason he flew off the handle to such an extreme, bizarre degree before the book had even been sent (and purchase was subsequently and immediately refunded). To be fair, though, I've been on eBay since 1988, and have only had a handful of truly negative experiences -- always as a buyer, never as a seller -- which I guess is why encounters like this one stick out so much.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I've been lucky that I haven't really had any issues as a seller on eBay. My issues are usually very minor. I once had to reach out to a buyer about payment since they had won the book auction a week prior and the buyer responded that they no longer wanted the book because they found it cheaper somewhere else. I wanted to send a reply stating that wasn't how things worked on eBay, but merely cancelled the transaction and won't sell to that person again. Mind you, they won the auction at a whopping $11.50. I wound up relisting the book and selling it for more so it worked out okay. So like I said, very minor.

Unfortunately, when one is dealing with customer service issues, one is gonna have to deal with some people who are going to waste your time, some people who think that by being a bully they can get what they want, and then some people who do have some mental health issues. My day job is customer service related and I've seen all kinds of situations throughout the years. People are generally good and nice, but man, sometimes...not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Glad your situation worked out well. It's unfortunate some people feel so free to harass and verbally abuse with such casualness, protected behind their screen and eBay's buyer-friendly policies, but it is what it is, and if I suppose if one continues to sell they just have to do so with that understanding that those kind of folks are out there. I do think my situation involved mental illness...I can't conceive of any other reason he flew off the handle to such an extreme, bizarre degree before the book had even been sent (and purchase was subsequently and immediately refunded). To be fair, though, I've been on eBay since 1988, and have only had a handful of truly negative experiences -- always as a buyer, never as a seller -- which I guess is why encounters like this one stick out so much.
        Yeah, most of my experience on EBay has been very positive. This last incident was only the second time in 15 years that I told someone to never order from me again. The first time the guy just was unhinged from the start. All because he had to pay shipping when the package arrived at his house because the label fell off. He accused me of shipping him a book without paying postage. Even though I sent him a tracking number. I told him if you had just been nice about it instead of starting off with accusations I would have sent you a refund no questions asked but since he started right off the way he did I told him I wouldn't do business with him again.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
          PS is having a nice sale, however, be aware of the cost of shipping.
          During the big shutdown in Calif that lasted approx 3 months where I live I saw one book and a 3 book set at the PS Publishing PS2 site. I was very tempted and did not make a purchase. Now looking back I'm kicking myself. The 3 book set was a PC set for 59 Euro. I'm not sure what the shipping was at the time. Today the shipping would be 15 Euro for one book. It could be a long time before I order again from PS Publishing. I will add my last order from them for one book was a borderline major disappointment.

Cap
          Last edited by c marvel; 10-31-2020, 02:55 AM.
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post

During the big shutdown in Calif that lasted approx 3 months where I live I saw one book and a 3 book set at the PS Publishing PS2 site. I was very tempted and did not make a purchase. Now looking back I'm kicking myself. The 3 book set was a PC set for 59 Euro. I'm not sure what the shipping was at the time. Today the shipping would be 15 Euro for one book. It could be a long time before I order again from PS Publishing. I will add my last order from them for one book was a borderline major disappointment.

Cap
            It's best in the current climate to try and order overseas publisher's books from domestic sources. Understood not always possible and the shipping cost can kill any appeal to a sale.

Comment

I usually order my PS titles from Camelot, however I would like to be able to take advantage of their sales. Last year around Christmas they had a fantastic sale and the shipping was reasonable. I think I read on their site that rates for the Royal Mail had been increased. Probably be a long while before I buy direct again. I also buy Swan River and Tartarus Press books from camelot.

Comment

I love Camelot Books. They really went out of their way last year for me. I ordered a group of books, for Christmas, for my daughter and Kim was a joy to deal with.
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Thanks! I'm willing to mail you a laser printer version signed and number by her husband. 1/1 - taking all offers. I'll even fold it into thirds for you.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                  She did a nice job on it, Jason.

Comment

Yep, that's them. 2013? Have I been around here that long to remember those? (Yep - right there - joined Oct 2013 . . .)

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                    GAK.jpg

Here They are LOL! I was so glad I bought these. I was hoping it would become an annual thing. The date on these is 2013. I think you are right Martin, I did hear he had pasted away.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                      Thanks! I'm willing to mail you a laser printer version signed and number by her husband. 1/1 - taking all offers. I'll even fold it into thirds for you.

LOL. No folding!

Comment

Happy Halloween!
                        covid-halloween.jpg

Comment

Happy Halloween!

Love the pumpkin!

Comment

Here's a random thought on the movie Freaky, coming soon from Blumhouse.

It probably would have been a really good horror film, if...

It had been done with a serious tone. Disappointing that it is a comedy in the same category of Happy Death Day. That too was marred by its tone, but I was okay with it for the most part (thought the sequel was very weak, though). But this current film, with Vince Vaughn being funny, etc....the concept begs for a serious treatment (I guess you could say it is a riff on one of my favorite films, Satan's Little Helper) instead of a broad-comedic one...

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                              Yep, that's them. 2013? Have I been around here that long to remember those? (Yep - right there - joined Oct 2013 . . .)

That's actually the most recent version of those. He did them 2 or 3 times before that. There were even some Christmas themed ones. I don't have any photos of those though.
                              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Asked a coworker what books they have recently read and was told about books they listened to in the car. I may have come off as slightly snobbish when I responded that I don't consider listening to audiobooks as reading. To me, they are two different things. I personally never listen to audiobooks. I don't find the same enjoyment level as when physically reading a book and don't want the story spoiled by potentially not liking the narrator. If I am driving or doing some other physical activity that prevents reading, I would much prefer to just listen to music and find time later on to actually sit down and read. Anyone feel the same way or have I pushed into snobsville?

Comment

Working...
                                X