Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post

That's actually the most recent version of those. He did them 2 or 3 times before that. There were even some Christmas themed ones. I don't have any photos of those though.
    I would love to seethose!

Comment

Assuming I were blind; you and I couldn't have a deep discussion regarding a book because you physically read it and I only listened to it. I don't know you from Adam, but as any audiobook listener, that statement deeply offends me.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
        Asked a coworker what books they have recently read and was told about books they listened to in the car. I may have come off as slightly snobbish when I responded that I don't consider listening to audiobooks as reading. To me, they are two different things. I personally never listen to audiobooks. I don't find the same enjoyment level as when physically reading a book and don't want the story spoiled by potentially not liking the narrator. If I am driving or doing some other physical activity that prevents reading, I would much prefer to just listen to music and find time later on to actually sit down and read. Anyone feel the same way or have I pushed into snobsville?
        I certainly do not take offense from your comment but could not disagree more. I normally have about an even split between audio and physical books. For me the experience is similar as I am taking in a story either way. With both I find that distractions can reduce the effectiveness of how I take in the story. I will not read a physical book, nor will I read an audiobook if I am not in a position to take in and comprehend the story. I find I am less able to hold my attention to a story tougher when using an e-reader. For that reason I generally only consume short stories using that method. Do I look down on those who find enjoyment in that medium? No, but it is not for me. Your views on audio books does not lessen the experience for those who choose to read stories in that medium. After I have finished a book the lasting impact the story has on me is based solely based on the source material not the medium. So why is it different other than personal tastes? Your views on how you choose to read are yours and thusly are correct for you. Is telling someone that the way they choose to read is not reading because you do not get enjoyment out of it that they do snobbish? Probably. If someone told me that I would put as much stock in it as I have on the many occasions people have told me I should read a real story instead of that Stephen King crap. Truth is I like Stephen King and they do not. I have no problem with that but they do.

Comment

Sorry Brian861. Wasn't my intent to offend at all and didn't really consider it from a disability perspective such as blindness. I'm also sure that there a tons of people who love audiobooks and listen to them exclusively rather than reading a physical copy. I guess that I was just trying to make the point that I feel physically reading a book and listening to an audiobook are two different experiences and that I don't really care for audiobooks in general. I'm sure that I could've worded that opinion better. Thanks for the differing perspective and giving me more to think about when it comes to this topic.

Comment

I guess that I was just trying to make the point that I feel physically reading a book and listening to an audiobook are two different experiences and that I don't really care for audiobooks in general.
            I feel the same, and am not a fan of the experience that audiobooks provides, though I recognize many people are, both active readers and not. Perhaps one day if my eyes or concentration are such that I can no longer visually read my books, then I'll need to revisit the audiobook option. But presently, I find the experience of audiobooks -- of being read to aloud for hours by another individual, rather than visually ingesting the material on my own -- almost infantilizing, and that annoyance gets in the way of my enjoyment of the material. Before anyone takes offense, my take on it is not at all to suggest others are being infantilized by audiobooks or disparage the form, but rather only how they make me feel, and clearly that's my own personal hangup that I'll likely have to deal with someday if my eyes ever take a turn for the worse. I'm glad that there are different vehicles for different people and people of different needs, but while some work for some others, some do not...different strokes for different folks.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Sorry Brian861. Wasn't my intent to offend at all and didn't really consider it from a disability perspective such as blindness. I'm also sure that there a tons of people who love audiobooks and listen to them exclusively rather than reading a physical copy. I guess that I was just trying to make the point that I feel physically reading a book and listening to an audiobook are two different experiences and that I don't really care for audiobooks in general. I'm sure that I could've worded that opinion better. Thanks for the differing perspective and giving me more to think about when it comes to this topic.
              No worries. Definitely an overreaction on my part. I've listened to three books while messing around in my library over the last 3 days or so. So, I felt I was killing two birds with one stone. Otherwise, nothing would haven't gotten read during that time.

In an ironic twist, my wife can't stand to be read to so she and Ron are in the same camp there. She's a Kindle reader as there's no way would we could keep up with her reading physical books nor have the space for them all. The woman has probably read 10,000 books or better.

Comment

I think audiobooks are awesome for long road trips. I'm much more alert and resistant to that highway trance that comes with those unending rolling lanes. But I still think that reading words off a printed page is the best way to experience a book. Anything that comes between the written word and the reader can impact the experience. If you have an annoying voice or a bland reader, those words won't hit home the same way the author intended. Audiobooks are still far superior to movie adaptations or *gasp* not reading at all.

That said, I experienced King's 1408 as an audiobook read by King and it was amazing. You can hear it on Blood and Smoke. I read the short story and it paled compared to King's read.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

No worries. Definitely an overreaction on my part. I've listened to three books while messing around in my library over the last 3 days or so. So, I felt I was killing two birds with one stone. Otherwise, nothing would haven't gotten read during that time.

In an ironic twist, my wife can't stand to be read to so she and Ron are in the same camp there. She's a Kindle reader as there's no way would we could keep up with her reading physical books nor have the space for them all. The woman has probably read 10,000 books or better.
                  My wife and I used to read out loud to each other. We started when we began living together and she was reading a self help book while I read It. She set her book down and asked me to read her my book. She fell asleep while I was reading her the library scene. She went right into a nightmare about Pennywise. I also read her Gerald's Game. The funny thing was we decided to read this one out loud after I had read the set-up. I just gave her a synopsis of the beginning and read the rest. After I finished the book my mom borrowed it to read. When she returned the book she asked if I really read this out loud to Lynn. She could not believe I read the beginning out loud. I had to laugh and explain I would have no problem reading it but I did not.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                    I think audiobooks are awesome for long road trips. I'm much more alert and resistant to that highway trance that comes with those unending rolling lanes. But I still think that reading words off a printed page is the best way to experience a book. Anything that comes between the written word and the reader can impact the experience. If you have an annoying voice or a bland reader, those words won't hit home the same way the author intended. Audiobooks are still far superior to movie adaptations or *gasp* not reading at all.

That said, I experienced King's 1408 as an audiobook read by King and it was amazing. You can hear it on Blood and Smoke. I read the short story and it paled compared to King's read.
                    As much as a bland narrator can hurt the story, I great narrator can bring the story to life!

Comment

Interesting discussion on audiobooks vs. physical.

I have never listened to an audio book (as in novel-length), but I do recall listening to something shorter because I could only get the stories in that manner (it was for a Stephen King set of short stories, I want to say it was called Six- something and one of the stories was "In the Death Room"). (Actually, just noticed in the thread that the name was Blood and Smoke)

Expanding the issue a bit, I'm thinking that I could get away with nonfiction, technical stuff on audio, but not necessarily fiction. I've discovered I can read comics digitally, no problem...in fact, because space is starting to become an issue, I prefer sometimes using Comixology instead of print. I even read them on a desktop. However, I have learned I cannot read a book digitally (at least not currently, maybe I'll get used to it). I purchased Robert Iger's memoir as an e-book, started reading it, and just disliked the experience. Knowing the alternative was available just made me want the print version. I tried the e-format because of the pandemic.

I agree with those who say reading and listening are two different things. Reading is the intellect setting its own pace and making decisions in terms of what is important and what can be considered disposable (i.e., what sentences need to be re-read, what points need to be pondered before continuing, and so on). Listening is a more passive intellectual experience, but completely valid on its own, and in one sense, better, because sometimes it is good to simply sit back and listen; it forces one to pay attention and to be quicker about analysis (it also favors those who have a strong vocabulary, thus creating an incentive to have one; I unfortunately do not have a wide lexicon at my disposal, but I do my best). I should point out I have essentially reiterated what others have said here about the differences, but I felt like writing it out in my own words, I guess...
                      Last edited by JJ123; 11-05-2020, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
                        Interesting discussion on audiobooks vs. physical.

I have never listened to an audio book (as in novel-length), but I do recall listening to something shorter because I could only get the stories in that manner (it was for a Stephen King set of short stories, I want to say it was called Six- something and one of the stories was "In the Death Room"). (Actually, just noticed in the thread that the name was Blood and Smoke)

Expanding the issue a bit, I'm thinking that I could get away with nonfiction, technical stuff on audio, but not necessarily fiction. I've discovered I can read comics digitally, no problem...in fact, because space is starting to become an issue, I prefer sometimes using Comixology instead of print. I even read them on a desktop. However, I have learned I cannot read a book digitally (at least not currently, maybe I'll get used to it). I purchased Robert Iger's memoir as an e-book, started reading it, and just disliked the experience. Knowing the alternative was available just made me want the print version. I tried the e-format because of the pandemic.

I agree with those who say reading and listening are two different things. Reading is the intellect setting its own pace and making decisions in terms of what is important and what can be considered disposable (i.e., what sentences need to be re-read, what points need to be pondered before continuing, and so on). Listening is a more passive intellectual experience, but completely valid on its own, and in one sense, better, because sometimes it is good to simply sit back and listen; it forces one to pay attention and to be quicker about analysis (it also favors those who have a strong vocabulary, thus creating an incentive to have one; I unfortunately do not have a wide lexicon at my disposal, but I do my best). I should point out I have essentially reiterated what others have said here about the differences, but I felt like writing it out in my own words, I guess...
                        Well stated opinion but Mine varies slightly. I find that I must actively pay attention weather reading via a physical book or an audiobook, Over the last several months my mind wanders more than usual. This has caused me to have to re-read portions of physical books and to re-listen to portions of Audio books. If I am not in a position to focus the reading experience is very different but the things that impact my focus impacts both audio and physical books. I can read a book or listen to an audio book while my mind is not present with equal ease. I will not remember what I read in either case.

On a side note. For those here who would like to try an audio book I have an offer. The offer is for anyone whether they currently have an audible subscription or not. Audible allows subscribers to gift one boo from their personal library to anyone. The book is then owned by the recipient without any commitment. I have over 300 books in my library. If a few people her would like to receive a book from just say so here. I will then create a thread with all my audiobooks listed (Some really good and some real trash). Persons would then be able to PM me with their choice and an email address. I will send the book their way.

Comment

So this is what I’m doing with my Saturday!

Comment

I am not surprised but I am slightly saddened. Based on years past, my choices are nor, are limited to whatever is considered to be appropriate.

The cool thing is that Paul Revere hasn't trotted down my street yet.
                            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                              So this is what I’m doing with my Saturday!
                              I think I'm finally caught up on all mine. If you need more, Brodart is offering covers for 35% off through the 19th.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

I think I'm finally caught up on all mine. If you need more, Brodart is offering covers for 35% off through the 19th.
                                I didn’t get very far today, but I’m going to need more. Thanks for the heads up. I’m going to put in a larger order to make sure I have extras on hand. After 10 years of collecting I’m finally getting around to putting covers on everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X