Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post

And we are back over 500. Hazardous air goes up to 499. We are in the Beyond Index range.
    Thought I would update people. Yesterday we moved from Beyond Index to Hazardous and late last night we moved to Very Unhealthy. We are now nearing unhealthy, so things are improving. The current estimates are that we will clear out late Friday/Early Saturday. Evacuations are beginning to be lifted so people are now returning to some areas to find if have a home to return to. I believe the count of towns partially or fully burned stands at 8 with an estimate of over a thousand structures lost. Current death toll is 10 with 22 currently known to be missing. These counts could be wildly off as people were evacuated to areas that then had to be evacuated as the fire progressed. Truth is that there is no real count of persons unaccounted for but hopefully it will remain low. These numbers are for Oregon and Washington. I have not followed to situation in California which has also been hammered.

Comment

Thought I would update people. Yesterday we moved from Beyond Index to Hazardous and late last night we moved to Very Unhealthy. We are now nearing unhealthy, so things are improving. The current estimates are that we will clear out late Friday/Early Saturday. Evacuations are beginning to be lifted so people are now returning to some areas to find if have a home to return to. I believe the count of towns partially or fully burned stands at 8 with an estimate of over a thousand structures lost. Current death toll is 10 with 22 currently known to be missing. These counts could be wildly off as people were evacuated to areas that then had to be evacuated as the fire progressed. Truth is that there is no real count of persons unaccounted for but hopefully it will remain low. These numbers are for Oregon and Washington. I have not followed to situation in California which has also been hammered.
      Wow!!!! You guys have been through enough. Hopefully this ends soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

Wow!!!! You guys have been through enough. Hopefully this ends soon.
        The Northwest appears to be finally turning the corner. I believe California is still not seeing relief.

Comment

I saw some images on the news early yesterday morning and there was literally nothing left were the fires had been. Just white ash like you'd see in fireplace or camp fire after it had burned all night. These fires must be extremely hot and I can only image the amount of heat the firefighters are exposed to. Glad our fellow forum members who live in the area are safe and hopefully conditions will improve for all very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

I saw some images on the news early yesterday morning and there was literally nothing left were the fires had been. Just white ash like you'd see in fireplace or camp fire after it had burned all night. These fires must be extremely hot and I can only image the amount of heat the firefighters are exposed to. Glad our fellow forum members who live in the area are safe and hopefully conditions will improve for all very soon.
            I spoke too soon about things getting better. Yesterday afternoon we shot up to around 400 and remain there. Current estimated are late Friday and Saturday for clearing out.

On a bright note, you know it is going to be a good when you awake to find that Audible has quietly released a sequel to a great story from one of your favorite authors. Today I saw that the sequel to John Scalzi's The Dispatcher is available. It is titled Murder by Other Means and I am putting my current read on hold to fit this one in because I can't wait!

Comment

I spoke too soon about things getting better. Yesterday afternoon we shot up to around 400 and remain there. Current estimated are late Friday and Saturday for clearing out.

On a bright note, you know it is going to be a good when you awake to find that Audible has quietly released a sequel to a great story from one of your favorite authors. Today I saw that the sequel to John Scalzi's The Dispatcher is available. It is titled Murder by Other Means and I am putting my current read on hold to fit this one in because I can't wait!
              Thanks for the heads up, Martin! I loved The Dispatcher so I need to add this title as well.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, Martin! I loved The Dispatcher so I need to add this title as well.
                With the changes to Audible + it was free as well!

Comment

With the changes to Audible + it was free as well!
                  Sweet.

Comment

Sweet.
                    I am loving the Audible + change. I have several Lansdale books added to my library as well as several others free!

Comment

I am loving the Audible + change. I have several Lansdale books added to my library as well as several others free!
                      I've added a couple of titles as well from there. Although not free, I'm currently listening to The Sandman.

Comment

Hopefully it'll see a print edition soon...the red portions seem to suggest it will:

"Why in audio first? Because, as with The Dispatcher, Audible paid for me to write it (this is why it’s an “Audible Original”), so they get first dibs on it."

It also mentions a third installment:

https://whatever.scalzi.com/2020/08/...-audible-plus/
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I've added a couple of titles as well from there. Although not free, I'm currently listening to The Sandman.
                          Actually, I believe The Sandman was free with Audible+. I usually use credits so forget what's free and isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                            Hopefully it'll see a print edition soon...the red portions seem to suggest it will:

"Why in audio first? Because, as with The Dispatcher, Audible paid for me to write it (this is why it’s an “Audible Original”), so they get first dibs on it."

Makes sense if they're the ones writing the checks.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Note self. Check Scalzi's blog more often.

Comment

Actually, I believe The Sandman was free with Audible+. I usually use credits so forget what's free and isn't.
                                That one cost me a credit. I still want to get to it before Pale Battalions GO is released. Two books ahead it at this time so I should be good.

Comment

Working...
                                X