No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After hitting a low AQI last light of 194, mine's back up to 234...not the beginnings of the slow, days-long (but progressive) dissipation they'd forecasted for today. Maybe tomorrow...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      After hitting a low AQI last light of 194, mine's back up to 234...not the beginnings of the slow, days-long (but progressive) dissipation they'd forecasted for today. Maybe tomorrow...
      The estimates for improved air here has now been pushed back to Thursday. It was announced here to day that garbage pickup is being suspended until it is no longer considered hazardous to be outside. AQI hear is running in the low to mid 400's currently. Good news is that evacuations in Clackamas county (south of here) are being reduced. The fire to my north east continues to expand but has slowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

The estimates for improved air here has now been pushed back to Thursday. It was announced here to day that garbage pickup is being suspended until it is no longer considered hazardous to be outside. AQI hear is running in the low to mid 400's currently.
        Yikes, still? I feel bad complaining when ours is just half that.

Comment

Yikes, still? I feel bad complaining when ours is just half that.
          I am looking at from the standpoint that I am not in harms way, just some bad air. I am keeping interior doors closed which keeps the smoke smell in the main living area and it has cooled down enough that I can keep the AC off. That helps as well as not going outside unless it is necessary.

Comment

The air quality index at my house has dropped to under 500 for the first time in over 24 hours, yea!
            And we are back over 500. Hazardous air goes up to 499. We are in the Beyond Index range.

Comment

And we are back over 500. Hazardous air goes up to 499. We are in the Beyond Index range.
              The air quality index here is not as bad as what Martin describes although it is very bad. I wear a mask every time I leave my room now. I've read enough to know I don't want the bad fire/smoke related particles getting into my lungs.

Cap
              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post

The air quality index here is not as bad as what Martin describes although it is very bad. I wear a mask every time I leave my room now. I've read enough to know I don't want the bad fire/smoke related particles getting into my lungs.

Cap
                It does not take me long if I go out to start coughing. Keeping to AC off is helping in the house. Stay safe!

Comment

Two complaints for the day:

1). Up to 269 AQI today. So much for last night's rain helping the air quality.

2). I hate it when I forget about eBay auctions on my Watch List. Just lost a S/L/slpcsd HC of TEN-WORD TRAGEDIES that went for fifteen bucks this morning. I really wanted that one, damnit.

Comment

Two complaints for the day:

1). Up to 269 AQI today. So much for last night's rain helping the air quality.

2). I hate it when I forget about eBay auctions on my Watch List. Just lost a S/L/slpcsd HC of TEN-WORD TRAGEDIES that went for fifteen bucks this morning. I really wanted that one, damnit.
                    You are gaining on me. We are down to 363 from over 400 this morning.

Fifteen bucks would have been a great price for that book, sorry you missed it.

Comment

Fifteen bucks would have been a great price for that book, sorry you missed it.
                      It would have been much less painful a loss had it gone for forty or sixty bucks, a fair price for a signed/limited PS anthology with the expected drop in value. But $15...? Not only is it a tough loss and you're kicking yourself for forgetting about it, but you know there's slim chance that a copy of that book at the price will ever show up again.

I really wish eBay's Watch List could sent Push Notifications or text alerts when Watched items are close to ending. Maybe it can, I don't know...but if so, I've never figured out a way to activate that option.
                      Last edited by RonClinton; 09-15-2020, 06:18 PM.

Comment

It would have been much less painful a loss had it gone for forty or sixty bucks, a fair price for a signed/limited PS anthology with the expected drop in value. But $15...? Not only is it a tough loss and you're kicking yourself for forgetting about it, but you know there's slim chance that a copy of that book at the price will ever show up again.

I really wish eBay's Watch List could sent Push Notifications or text alerts when Watched items are close to ending. Maybe it can, I don't know...but if so, I've never figured out a way to activate that option.
                        Sucks you missed that crazy deal. I bet the seller is pissed as well! There's one on eBay from Thriftbooks for $26, but I'm betting it's unsigned.

Comment

The saving grace to this unfortunate situation today is that the same seller initially had a few of their books on a Buy-It-Now basis, and I was able to grab the signed/limited HCs (with matching numbers) of both TALES OF GREYSTONE BAY and HE'LL COME KNOCKING AT YOUR DOOR from Robert McCammon, two books I've really wanted but had passed at original offering.

Got them for $20/ea. So, honestly, I can't exactly complain, as that's a helluva deal, too, and were I forced to choose, I'd rather have the McCammons than the TRAGEDIES anthology.

Just would've been nice to have all three.

Comment

The saving grace to this unfortunate situation today is that the same seller initially had a few of their books on a Buy-It-Now basis, and I was able to grab the signed/limited HCs (with matching numbers) of both TALES OF GREYSTONE BAY and HE'LL COME KNOCKING AT YOUR DOOR from Robert McCammon, two books I've really wanted but had passed at original offering.

Got them for $20/ea. So, honestly, I can't exactly complain, as that's a helluva deal, too, and were I forced to choose, I'd rather have the McCammons than the TRAGEDIES anthology.

Just would've been nice to have all three.
                            I agree! That's a worthy score! I bought both of those and have yet to read them. Much to my shame. But my TBR pile is formidable. So congrats are in order.

Comment

It can. I was at work today and got a notification about this book as I was watching it. Of course I was dealing with a spill and in a very load area of the building and had ear plugs in so I didn't hear my pho e and when I saw the notification 2 hours had passed and the auction was over. I guess it wasn't ment to be for me either.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

It can. I was at work today and got a notification about this book as I was watching it. Of course I was dealing with a spill and in a very load area of the building and had ear plugs in so I didn't hear my pho e and when I saw the notification 2 hours had passed and the auction was over. I guess it wasn't ment to be for me either.
                                Well, shoot, I need to figure out how to get those push notifications for Watched items started.

EDIT: I figured it out. Will see how it goes, see if I keep notifications coming or if it’s just too annoying to get them all the time...though maybe that’d train me to be more selective about which auctions I actually need to Watch.
                                Last edited by RonClinton; 09-16-2020, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X