No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben have you tried working with your County/City Social Services office?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      Does anyone in Florida have any contacts for help with residential long term treatment for an adult with mental illness? My son, who is an adult whom I have guardianship over, need help. We cannot find any long term care for him.

This is an open and honest request. We have called every number we can find for years, months, and days with no help.

I hate putting this here but we are desperate.
      I would also seek out his local Facebook pages (we have a few for the towns around me). I see people asking for all sorts of medical resources there, and there are always people with good info on local resources.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Here in the Sunshine State there just aren't resources.

i am very frustrated but need to accept those facts. We are on our own with him until something new comes along.

I appreciate all of the positive responses.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I don’t know if your employment status would allow it — retired? telecommuter? transfer? — and such a solution is somewhat extreme, but if your state’s resources are the key issue, are you able to move to another state with more (any?) resources for your dilemma?
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Good thought and have explored it. NJ, CA, MN, and a few other States appear to offer actual services. We have one income and career we could transfer but the other one (mine) would need to be rebooted. Finances are actually holding us back from this leap. It's hard to change careers after 20 years.

However we may still make the jump. We are pretty crazy in regards to our kids.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
            I don’t know if your employment status would allow it — retired? telecommuter? transfer? — and such a solution is somewhat extreme, but if your state’s resources are the key issue, are you able to move to another state with more (any?) resources for your dilemma?

Comment

Good thought and have explored it. NJ, CA, MN, and a few other States appear to offer actual services. We have one income and career we could transfer but the other one (mine) would need to be rebooted. Finances are actually holding us back from this leap. It's hard to change careers after 20 years.

However we may still make the jump. We are pretty crazy in regards to our kids.
              Do some serious research before jumping to NJ or CA. I live in NJ, and the property taxes will blow your mind coming from Florida. We have State Income Tax, too. Pretty sure CA has both crazy housing prices and high taxes.

Comment

Agreed. We are aware and is one reason we haven't done this yet. We have explored outlying towns in NJ, NY, ME, and CA with the understanding of state and property taxes.

We do not make enough cash to move to a large urban center in any State which has services...unless we live in our car.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Do some serious research before jumping to NJ or CA. I live in NJ, and the property taxes will blow your mind coming from Florida. We have State Income Tax, too. Pretty sure CA has both crazy housing prices and high taxes.

Comment

Virginia might be good Ben. The tidewater Area, Richmond, I would stay away from NOVA to expensive and the rural areas are too poor to offer the kinds of services you need for your family. Good Luck.
                  Last edited by mhatchett; 08-20-2020, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Agreed. We are aware and is one reason we haven't done this yet. We have explored outlying towns in NJ, NY, ME, and CA with the understanding of state and property taxes.

We do not make enough cash to move to a large urban center in any State which has services...unless we live in our car.
                    I would look at PA too. You can live a lot cheaper an hour away from Philadelphia, and still be close to all the services in Philly and South Jersey. If you want to PM me with the types of service you're looking for, I can run it by my wife and see if she has any suggestions. She works in a private Psych Hospital, and has a lot of connections in the area.

Comment

Happy 100th birthday to Ray Bradbury. If not for him I might not be the reader that I am.

Comment

Martin - I sent you a pm. Did you find it? ~Steve
                        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                          Martin - I sent you a pm. Did you find it? ~Steve
                          I swear I remember getting one from you wighin the last few days and responding. I now do not see it in my inbox or sent messages box. I also can't remember what it was about. Please send again.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I swear I remember getting one from you wighin the last few days and responding. I now do not see it in my inbox or sent messages box. I also can't remember what it was about. Please send again.
                            I resent it Martin. ~Steve

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post

I resent it Martin. ~Steve
                              Got it and responded again. The message says it is a visitor message. That appears to prevent me from seeing it after I respond. I do not see your original note or my reply. If you do not get it I will send an email.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Got it and responded again. The message says it is a visitor message. That appears to prevent me from seeing it after I respond. I do not see your original note or my reply. If you do not get it I will send an email.
                                Martin - What you mention here sounds like an issue that should be reported to Dan Hocker since I still do not see a reply from you here in the CD Forums. ~Steve
                                Last edited by c marvel; 09-02-2020, 04:27 PM. Reason: I had to change my reply to give correct info-That's why.

Comment

Working...
                                X