Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I have the single volume on preorder. The SL was out of my price range when I ordered it. Perhaps I should upgrade ...

Actually I have an unsigned two volume edition on order. Thinking I should try for the signed one.
    The difference between the unsigned set and the signed two-volume set is $50, or just $25 per book. That made it easy for me.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I've been waiting for that for a long, long time. Almost cancelled it a time or two, but I'll wait a little longer lol!!

Comment

I'm Trying to think but nothing happens!

Comment

Anybody get in on Sub Press's PC sale today? I got up early, had my computer prepped, did my finger exercises...and got nothing. I was hoping for a lettered of A Long December by Mr. Chizmar, and then hopefully a McCammon lettered, but, alas, it was not meant to be. Chiliad by Barker is still available and I'm mulling it over, but probably will wind up passing.

Comment

I don't know if I missed a bunch of things, but I didn't see anything for me. Better luck next time.

Comment

There was quite a bit that had caught my eye and at good prices. I was just a little too slow. Not the end of world as I'm sure my wallet could use a breather.

Comment

I chose to pass.

Comment

Forgot about it and slept right through it, and 5am was just too early for my body's alarm clock to work. Oh well, given that I just wanted a couple things and that it sounds like a tidal wave of buyers were there when the doors opened, it probably wouldn't have worked for me anyhow (at least, that's what I'm telling myself).

Comment

I was mildly interested in one title. Just before I went to bed this morning I decided to forget about it. Besides I've never liked PC copies.

cap
                    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

When I looked the only book left that I was interested in was The Queen of Bedlam by Robert McCammon Lettered PC, but by the time I could pull the trigger it was gone too. :-(

Comment

Got one book out of a handful I was interested in. Already got a shipping notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                          There was quite a bit that had caught my eye and at good prices. I was just a little too slow. Not the end of world as I'm sure my wallet could use a breather.
                          I'd like to reiterate this sentiment.

Comment

Philip Kerr, author of Bernie Gunther novels, dies aged 62

The Scottish crime writer Philip Kerr, best known as the creator of the fictional detective Bernie Gunther, has died at the age of 62.

His death on Friday was confirmed by his publisher. Tributes poured in on social media for the award-winning author who penned a series of historical thrillers set in Germany during the second world war and cold war.

The author Ian Rankin tweeted: “Numbed by the news that Philip Kerr has died. His Bernie Gunther novels are extraordinary, a mix of great storytelling and brilliant research, with a believable (a)moral hero.”

Kerr, who wrote more than 30 books, including 12 Bernie Gunther novels as well as standalone thrillers and non-fiction, was married to fellow novelist Jane Thynne, with whom he had three children.

His wife wrote on Twitter: “RIP beloved Philip Kerr. Creator of the wonderful #BernieGunther. Genius writer and adored father and husband. 1956-2018.”

Kerr’s publisher Quercus Books said: “We are very sad to have lost Philip Kerr today, a wonderful man and a great author. We are thinking of @janethynne and all his family, friends and colleagues at this difficult time.”

Edinburgh-born Kerr studies law at university before working as a copywriter at a number of advertising agencies including Saatchi & Saatchi. He is said to have spent much of his time in the job researching an idea for a book about a Berlin-based policeman.

Following several trips to Germany his first novel, March Violets, was published in 1989 and Bernie Gunther was born. .

Kerr went on to trace the career of the tough-talking detective from 1930s Berlin through the horrors of the Third Reich, into the post-war era and to the cold war.

He also wrote the Scott Mason novels and a number children’s books under the name P B Kerr including the Children of the Lamp series.

Comment

That's really too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                                I do have an ARC and it's signed. And I wasn't over the moon about it, but I did like it quite a bit. I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone other than our friend Ron Clinton. .
                                True dat.

By the way, did you hear about the recent blowup on GoodReads wherein Malerman’s wife chastised — apparently rather vociferously and rudely — a reviewer who was not particularly fond of UNBURY CAROL? I caught wind of it on Twitter...doesn’t sound like he won many fans with that one, though he did ultimately apologize for her. Apparently her comments have since been deleted.

Comment

Working...
                                X