No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious if anyone took advantage of today's email offer from Cemetery Dance. I am quite tempted to order the book. ~Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
      Just curious if anyone took advantage of today's email offer from Cemetery Dance. I am quite tempted to order the book. ~Cap
      I did without hesitation.

Comment

When the weather man says expect 6-10 inches of snow and you wake up to over 3 feet of the fluffy white stuff. First time in 20 years that's snow storm has made me miss a day of work.

Comment

I don't think I received anything from them a few days ago. Unless it's a secret what was the offer?

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I did without hesitation.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
            I don't think I received anything from them a few days ago. Unless it's a secret what was the offer?

It was a CDCC offer. If you are in the CDCC and did not receive an email Tuesday I would check spam and if not there email Mindy or Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
              When the weather man says expect 6-10 inches of snow and you wake up to over 3 feet of the fluffy white stuff. First time in 20 years that's snow storm has made me miss a day of work.
              I was expecting to see snow when I woke up today. Thought we might get snow this morning in daylight or this afternoon. So far, lots of rain, none of the white stuff yet. ~Cap

Comment

Oh, Okay. I am not in the club. Thanks for the reply.

It was a CDCC offer. If you are in the CDCC and did not receive an email Tuesday I would check spam and if not there email Mindy or Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                  Oh, Okay. I am not in the club. Thanks for the reply.

I believe the public offering just went out.

Comment

Just coming here to hint at that. Cool books, that I've read, but don't think I need a special edition of them. I thought they were good but they didn't really grab me in the way many other novels do.

I believe the public offering just went out.

Comment

If it's the book(s) that were just sent out to everyone on the mass distribution list today (Thurs.) -- the two Gillian Flynn books -- then no, I don't plan to preorder these...the last one (GONE GIRL) took waaayyyy too long from order to delivery (as I recall, apparently something about Flynn having them but taking years to sign them) and I'm just not going to do that anymore. I may get ahold of Camelot and reserve my copies without payment, but I wasn't wild about the book design of GONE GIRL (in fact, I seem to recall I had to exchange mine for another copy due to damage caused by the design, the book and slipcase not playing well together), either, so if they're a matching set I may just sit tight and see what they look like. If I like what I see, I'll probably grab them on the aftermarket, as I do really like Flynn's work, and I've actually yet to read DARK PLACES (but have read her other three books, GONE GIRL and SHARP OBJECTS and the HC novella).
                      Last edited by RonClinton; 12-17-2020, 09:05 PM.
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

If it's the book(s) that were just sent out to everyone on the mass distribution list today (Thurs.) -- the two Gillian Flynn books -- then no, I don't plan to preorder these...the last one (GONE GIRL) took waaayyyy too long from order to delivery (as I recall, apparently something about Flynn having them but taking years to sign them) and I'm just not going to do that anymore. I may get ahold of Camelot and reserve my copies without payment, but I wasn't wild about the book design of GONE GIRL (in fact, I seem to recall I had to exchange mine for another copy due to damage caused by the design, the book and slipcase not playing well together), either, so if they're a matching set I may just sit tight and see what they look like. If I like what I see, I'll probably grab them on the aftermarket, as I do really like Flynn's work, and I've actually yet to read DARK PLACES (but have read her other three books, GONE GIRL and SHARP OBJECTS and the HC novella).
                        Wow! It sounds like you had a sour experience Ron. I was tempted, but I am going to pass on ordering either book. Thanks for your input. ~Cap

Comment

Wow! It sounds like you had a sour experience Ron. I was tempted, but I am going to pass on ordering either book. Thanks for your input. ~Cap
                          I wouldn't go that far, but it's always disappointing when you wait years for something to arrive, and when it finally does it's not up to snuff. My experience wasn't unique, though...I remember there were a number of folks (though how many, I don't know...probably not many, in the scheme of things) who had to exchange their copies for a replacement. The slipcase was just too tight and the seam between cloth and leather too fragile, so when the book was inserted into the slipcase it kind of wore on the seam and abraded the cloth and/or pulled it back a bit. It also has a simplistic, modernist design that I'm sure some like but is not really my thing. Again, though, who knows...I may like what I see this time around and grab both books (but not through pre-order).
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I will add part of my decision to not order was not being familiar with the author or her books. The price for one of these two S/L books is more than what I want to spend (And I have the CD credit). ~Cap

Comment

In 2015 I backed an Indiegogo project The Sunday Comics from Golden Bell Studios. The person behind this comics only newspaper is f---ing clueless. I was to get a Sunday Comics t-shirt as part of my contribution. I got one all right-two sizes too large for me. I was not asked if sending that size t-shirt was okay. It was just sent to me. I've been able to get Issues 0-4, a couple were sent to me free. I looked at the Golden Bell Studios website and decided to order Issue 5 and 6 and mail a check. First, the same person told me the accounting dept has your check. Then I was told he was not responsible for cashing my check. Finally, I was informed they could not find my check. Like I said, clueless. I had to call my credit union and was happy to learn since enough time had passed, the check I sent was no longer good. I'm wondering what to do with the Issues I have. My first thought was to toss them in the . You can fill in that blank.

Cap

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Will probably be a pass for me as well. Didn't pick-up "Gone Girl" when it was released as I wasn't very impressed with the overall aesthetic and was bummed that it didn't include any art or a dustjacket. I also thought that the slipcase was a bit boring. Considering the popularity of the book at the time, I was expecting something a little more special. I'm assuming that the two recently announced titles will have the same production values as Gone Girl.

Comment

Working...
                                X