X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Yep. With such a blurry photo I am surprised it was spotted. LOL

Good eyes!

It stood out due to a dude's obsession with them over on TDT lol.

Comment

That group had fun with them for awhile. It was fairly funny. Think it started because Shannon really wanted one then Jerome, Bill, and others started posting pictures of the globe in various locations. A little like the elf on the shelf thing going on with the globe.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

It stood out due to a dude's obsession with them over on TDT lol.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

That group had fun with them for awhile. It was fairly funny. Think it started because Shannon really wanted one then Jerome, Bill, and others started posting pictures of the globe in various locations. A little like the elf on the shelf thing going on with the globe.

Yep LOL. That's exactly it. Be aware, Shannon may be coming for yours.

Comment

Luckily for me Shannon doesn't have my current address! LOL LOL

Miss that group.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Yep LOL. That's exactly it. Be aware, Shannon may be coming for yours.

Comment

I have always loved end of the world books but somehow missed "Earth Abides". No joy from my library system, I can't see PB's anymore (plus they hurt my hands to hold them), and don't do ebooks.

For the folks that have read this should I fork out $30-$40 for a HC BOTM copy? Is it worth it?

Comment

I have always loved end of the world books but somehow missed "Earth Abides". No joy from my library system, I can't see PB's anymore (plus they hurt my hands to hold them), and don't do ebooks.

For the folks that have read this should I fork out $30-$40 for a HC BOTM copy? Is it worth it?
              It's a good book, but dated now, as you'd expect. It's definitely worth reading, but I don't know that I'd fork over $35 for it, which is the cheapest hardcover I see right now.

https://www.ebay.com/i/193672807363?...caAgQ7EALw_wcB

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Think I will just note it in my list and keep my eyes peeled for a cheaper reading copy.

Maybe the $30-$40 is the normal range but maybe if I'm patient I will run into a more affordable copy.

My library system pretty much stinks as they have no cross county partnering program in place. If it's not in their system they aren't buying it unless it's a new release or donated. However it seems like most donations end up going to their "store" where they sell books.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

It's a good book, but dated now, as you'd expect. It's definitely worth reading, but I don't know that I'd fork over $35 for it, which is the cheapest hardcover I see right now.

Comment

Putting up the Christmas Tree today.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I enjoyed it. Earth Abides was probably my first end of the world book, along with I Am Legend. It's a very reflective book, I think. Keep an eye out, I'm sure a cheaper copy will pop-up. So Ben, your library System doesn't offer Interlibrary Loan Service?? That is weird.

Comment

No it does not. Not sure why either.

Thanks for the note on Earth Abides and it's looking a lot like Christmas at your place. Looks good.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I enjoyed it. Earth Abides was probably my first end of the world book, along with I Am Legend. It's a very reflective book, I think. Keep an eye out, I'm sure a cheaper copy will pop-up. So Ben, your library System doesn't offer Interlibrary Loan Service?? That is weird.

Comment

No it does not. Not sure why either.

Thanks for the note on Earth Abides and it's looking a lot like Christmas at your place. Looks good.
                        Hey Ben, any particular reason you don't do e-books? I don't know if you've ever tried a Kindle Paperwhite, but if not, it's worth a look. You can set the font to any size you want, and the screen is very easy on the eyes, not at all like an iPad or phone.

I think I'd need a second house if not for e-books. I don't know how much physical space this would take up, but my guess is...a lot

books_122120.JPG

Comment

I have an aversion to digital media. I have had many bad experiences with devices breaking, not supported, wrong file types, losing data*, not keeping a charge, and ultimately losing my money on purchased products which are no longer accessible and losing my time trying to correct technical issues.

I just find those types of devices do not fit my demeanor and lifestyle. I still use my desktop and laptop for work and every-time I venture into the tablets, smartphones, e-readers, and mp-3 players, I end up becoming very frustrated with the experience.So I stopped.

I find joy in browsing my bookshelves. I find joy in picking up my records, looking at the cover art, and sliding the vinyl out of its sleeve.

Digital media has only broken my heart and spirit.

*or the company I purchased from not maintaining their licensing rights!*

Hey Ben, any particular reason you don't do e-books? I don't know if you've ever tried a Kindle Paperwhite,..

books_122120.JPG

Comment

To actually answer your question I have not tried a Kindle Paperweight. I have used multiple types of Nooks. I owned two of one type which had no back light and looked more like printed type. I liked those a lot but both stopped maintaining a charge and eventually stopped charging altogether. I did enjoy modifying the text size and the size and feel of those.

Comment

Just wanted to wish all my forum friends a happy and healthy Christmas and Holiday season.

Comment

I have an aversion to digital media. I have had many bad experiences with devices breaking, not supported, wrong file types, losing data*, not keeping a charge, and ultimately losing my money on purchased products which are no longer accessible and losing my time trying to correct technical issues.

I just find those types of devices do not fit my demeanor and lifestyle. I still use my desktop and laptop for work and every-time I venture into the tablets, smartphones, e-readers, and mp-3 players, I end up becoming very frustrated with the experience.So I stopped.

I find joy in browsing my bookshelves. I find joy in picking up my records, looking at the cover art, and sliding the vinyl out of its sleeve.

Digital media has only broken my heart and spirit.

*or the company I purchased from not maintaining their licensing rights!*

I will add my aversion to e-books. I do not own Kindle but have held them and read from them. In general I have tried reading e books on my phone, I Pad and laptop. I do not like the tactile feel of reading anything of length in this manner. Adding another device would not be an acceptable solution even if the Kindle reading experience was an improvement over the I Pad. I have accepted that I will only read short stories via e book.

Comment

Working...
                                X