Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

If it's the book(s) that were just sent out to everyone on the mass distribution list today (Thurs.) -- the two Gillian Flynn books -- then no, I don't plan to preorder these...the last one (GONE GIRL) took waaayyyy too long from order to delivery (as I recall, apparently something about Flynn having them but taking years to sign them) and I'm just not going to do that anymore. I may get ahold of Camelot and reserve my copies without payment, but I wasn't wild about the book design of GONE GIRL (in fact, I seem to recall I had to exchange mine for another copy due to damage caused by the design, the book and slipcase not playing well together), either, so if they're a matching set I may just sit tight and see what they look like. If I like what I see, I'll probably grab them on the aftermarket, as I do really like Flynn's work, and I've actually yet to read DARK PLACES (but have read her other three books, GONE GIRL and SHARP OBJECTS and the HC novella).
    There was a problem with some of the slip cases. My guess is that these books are close to being ready. I preordered one of these a couple of years ago. The only hold up for the official announcement I believe was the author signing the signature sheets. Part of the hold up with that was she was about to have a baby. So my guess and my hope is that she has signed both sets of sheets and these will be in the printing queue sometime during the first part of 2021 and if things improve and places can stay open and running that we very likely will see both books next year

Comment

Emergency overflow bookcase, procured and assembled, with an empty shelf.

I couldn't stand my books stacking up, but didn't have the money for a what I wanted, so I bought this little guy from the local Dollar General. Looks okay and is actually very sturdy.

*I still cannot take a photo to save my life.*
      Attached Files
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post

I couldn't stand my books stacking up, but didn't have the money for a what I wanted, so I bought this little guy from the local Dollar General. Looks okay and is actually very sturdy.

Just a suggestion Ben, I walk through a few thrift stores every week looking for books and bookcases. I've done pretty well over the years......

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I do occasionally go through our local places but I'm convinced people don't read here or they only read Harlequins and the Bible*.

I think the main issue, in my area, is that there are so many "antique" places that are actually empty of antiques but full of recycled/upcycled items. Someone thinks that if they snag an old piece of wood furniture, slap a distressed white paint job on it, it then becomes a pricey antique.

EDIT: *I forgot to mention Grisham books. Shelves are slammed full of those things.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

Just a suggestion Ben, I walk through a few thrift stores every week looking for books and bookcases. I've done pretty well over the years......

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I do occasionally go through our local places but I'm convinced people don't read here or they only read Harlequins and the Bible*.

I think the main issue, in my area, is that there are so many "antique" places that are actually empty of antiques but full of recycled/upcycled items. Someone thinks that if they snag an old piece of wood furniture, slap a distressed white paint job on it, it then becomes a pricey antique.

EDIT: *I forgot to mention Grisham books. Shelves are slammed full of those things.
            You just perfectly described every antique store within 50 miles of me.

Comment

I have been pretty luck, especially with Bookcases. As far as books, I rarely find "collectibles" but I often find good readable books, that I often trade at bookstores. Every area is different that's for sure and thrift stores have really changed since they have become in vogue.

Comment

Sadly my favorite little store, which did trades, will be closing in the near future.

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2020/...rs/6413011002/

I have been pretty luck, especially with Bookcases. As far as books, I rarely find "collectibles" but I often find good readable books, that I often trade at bookstores. Every area is different that's for sure and thrift stores have really changed since they have become in vogue.

Comment

I've seen a few over the last few months but they have been dogs. Particle board with the laminate peeling off of them. What I really really want is a full set of billy like bookcases with some being open and some with the old school flip up glass doors.

Comment

Sadly my favorite little store, which did trades, will be closing in the near future.

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2020/...rs/6413011002/

One of my longtime favorites closed a couple of years ago https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond...nt?oid=6923429

Comment

The store closing sounded very abrupt and the story is a little confusing.

One of my longtime favorites closed a couple of years ago https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond...nt?oid=6923429

Comment

Yes and Yes. The upshot was I lost about $200.00 in store credit. I wasn't alone. That was very disappointing, given that I'd known the people who owned the store for years. I guess there were mitigating circumstances, the husband had passed away a few years ago and I think the wife was just ready to be done with the business. I'd gotten lots of great things from them over 20 years, but it was a sour note to end our relationship.

Comment

Sorry to hear that you, and I'm assuming many others, lost their credits. What a raw deal. Sometimes things just stink.

Comment

Do I spy a The Mist snow globe?

Comment

Sorry to hear that you, and I'm assuming many others, lost their credits. What a raw deal. Sometimes things just stink.
                              Things happen and you just try to take them in stride.

Comment

Yep. With such a blurry photo I am surprised it was spotted. LOL

Good eyes!

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Do I spy a The Mist snow globe?

Comment

Working...
                                X