Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    This isn't a comic book site, but I figured I'd post here anyways.

I'm very sad to hear that comic book writer Alan Grant has passed away. His run on the Batman titles--especially the very early 90's Detective Comics issues--were my very first Batman comics. When I think of Batman comics, I immediately go to Alan Grant and Chuck Dixon. I think I'm gonna go dust off some of those old back issues to honor the man.
    Alan Grant wrote (seemingly...) EVERYTHING back in my younger days. I've been buying the reprints of his BATMAN/DETECTIVE run, because I remember enjoying them so much back in the late 80s/early 90s. I was very saddened to read about his passing earlier.....His work brought me a lot of joy back in the day.
    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

Alan Grant wrote (seemingly...) EVERYTHING back in my younger days. I've been buying the reprints of his BATMAN/DETECTIVE run, because I remember enjoying them so much back in the late 80s/early 90s. I was very saddened to read about his passing earlier.....His work brought me a lot of joy back in the day.
      I saw that they've been reprinting those, along with his SHADOW OF THE BAT run. Some of those TPBs are a tad difficult to get a hold of and it's almost cheaper to buy the originals! I have been very tempted to do a deep dive of his Batman stuff, filling in the gaps that I've missed. I also remembered that he did the run of L.E.G.I.O.N. with Keith Giffen that I remember really enjoying.

Comment

Boy, I loved L.E.G.I.O.N.!!! I wish DC would reprint that series......

The DC Bat-reprints seem to go out of print VERY quickly. I make a point of buying them the day they come out, because the few early ones that I didn't snap up were gone by the next week.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
          Boy, I loved L.E.G.I.O.N.!!! I wish DC would reprint that series......

The DC Bat-reprints seem to go out of print VERY quickly. I make a point of buying them the day they come out, because the few early ones that I didn't snap up were gone by the next week.
          Hey, another L.E.G.I.O.N. fan! I thought I might be the only one left! I only have the first 36 issues of the series and need to pick up the rest at some point. Such a good book. One of the earliest comic books that I remember buying was The Adventures of Superman Annual with L.E.G.I.O.N. and Lobo guest-starring. I had no idea who these characters were, but I loved this comic. It was actually took me about 15 years to get around to tracking down the rest of the second part in the L.E.G.I.O.N. annual.

As for the Batman reprints, the early volumes are very hard to find for a decent price. People are asking stupid prices for them on the eBay. I remember when reprint volumes were looked down upon and you could get them super cheap. Now these volumes are going for good money and it's almost easier--and cheaper--to track down the individual volumes. I do like that DC is doing these volumes, though. There are so many good stories that are overlooked nowadays. The reader has to adapt to the different type of storytelling as techniques have changed over the years, but I much prefer the more compressed storytelling of older comics versus the ultra-decompressed stories we see now (not everything has to be a six to twelve issues long).

I am still very much fighting the urge to do a deep dive on the Bat-titles from Grant's run onward. The lure of nostalgia is strong. I don't want to spend that much money on comics. I'm supposed to be getting rid of them, not buying more!

Comment

DC rarely goes back to,press on out-of-print books, but they do offer them up in different formats...I wouldn't be surprised to see an omnibus or two down the line collecting Grant's work on the Bat books.

Comment

Well, I just made I believe my largest limited-edition purchase ever…in number of books in one single buy, anyhow: 35 signed and numbered hardcovers (a series).

One for the record books.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                Well, I just made I believe my largest limited-edition purchase ever…in number of books in one single buy, anyhow: 35 signed and numbered hardcovers (a series).

Wow Congrats, was it Ronald Kelly?

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Wow! That's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

Wow Congrats, was it Ronald Kelly?
                    Good guess, and I would still someday like to get my hands on that Thunderstorm Essential Ronald Kelly series, but no, it’s not Kelly. It’s not even horror, for that matter (though Lansdale and FPW and Joyce Carol Oates did contribute).

I picked up volumes 1 to 35 of the signed/numbered HC editions of the Bibliomystery Series from Mysterious Bookshop:

https://www.mysteriousbookshop.com/c...ibliomysteries

…and at a heckuva sweet deal.

I also have three others beyond 35 (currently up to 42 volumes), so have a few more to pick up to make it a complete set.

This series has been on my radar for many years, but I didn’t really consider pursuing it until recently. Then this instant-collection deal showed up, and I couldn’t pass it up.

Comment

Life is good when the Book Gods shine on us LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                        Life is good when the Book Gods shine on us LOL!!
                        This was like a sun flare.

Comment

That's an awesome addition Ron - congrats!

Comment

Adam Cesare's Clown in a Cornfield 2: Frendo Lives is out today! Just picked-up my copy! Am super excited for this one as I really enjoyed the first book (which actually ended up winning a Stoker award in its category).

Comment

Aarrghhhh.... Can't remember the new CD discount code and there is a book I want to purchase this evening. ~Cap
                              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

AUGUST30OFF

Comment

Working...
                                X