Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I think all folks, with rights, will make every possible arrangement they can to purchase this book. My guess is that 30% of them will be speculators.

Paul has shrewdly placed this book ahead of the quarterly announcement(s) which I think makes it even harder for rights holders to pass on this purchase and release their number to the lottery.

The reality is that I probably would not make this purchase. It would be a major stretch for me, I'm not a speculator, and it's not even my favorite book by this Author.

In hindsight I should have purchased a copy of The Road (or attempted to) and this would have cured my Suntup and McCarthy itch in one swing.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    So the assumed announcement of Blood Meridian tomorrow has many people excited at the prospect of getting a limited edition of this book. It also has a number of people dismayed, believing that the 350 copies will all go on pre-sale and they will not have an opportunity. This has left me with questions. If the original announcement holds this will be the second book published by Suntup with a living author, yet not signed by the author. The other being The Road. This book is also being marketed as being produced at a lettered level but not a lettered price. So it is impossible to know what that means but we do know that it is being printed letterpress. Assuming it will be on the higher end of the limited books by Suntup we could be talking about a novel, not signed by the author that is being offered in the $800 range. Do we really believe that the 350 people will all jump at that? If not how many may be available to the general public? If you could buy one on Saturday and the price is in the $800 range would you buy it?

Suntup offerings do seam to defy conventual wisdom regarding price point and demand but I remain skeptical. Of course my winning percentage on predicting these things is less than zero.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    So the assumed announcement of Blood Meridian tomorrow has many people excited at the prospect of getting a limited edition of this book. It also has a number of people dismayed, believing that the 350 copies will all go on pre-sale and they will not have an opportunity. This has left me with questions. If the original announcement holds this will be the second book published by Suntup with a living author, yet not signed by the author. The other being The Road. This book is also being marketed as being produced at a lettered level but not a lettered price. So it is impossible to know what that means but we do know that it is being printed letterpress. Assuming it will be on the higher end of the limited books by Suntup we could be talking about a novel, not signed by the author that is being offered in the $800 range. Do we really believe that the 350 people will all jump at that? If not how many may be available to the general public? If you could buy one on Saturday and the price is in the $800 range would you buy it?

Suntup offerings do seam to defy conventual wisdom regarding price point and demand but I remain skeptical. Of course my winning percentage on predicting these things is less than zero.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Seems like a lock. It is a little let down that there is no direct opportunity to purchase this though. There is almost zero chance I would buy this title at secondary market price.

Also very unfortunate that he was unable to secure the rights to publish an Artist edition.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Seems like a lock. It is a little let down that there is no direct opportunity to purchase this though. There is almost zero chance I would buy this title at secondary market price.

It also appears that the speculation regarding the title was correct.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    Looks like new book coming up tomorrow.
    It also appears that the speculation regarding the title was correct.

Leave a comment:

• WebInterceptor
    replied
    Looks like new book coming up tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
    My only worry with printed numbers is what happens if a copy needs to be replaced due to damage in shipping (from Paul directly, obviously)? I wonder the same about Centipede titles as those have printed numbers.
    Not sure exactly how the publisher manages that.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    My only worry with printed numbers is what happens if a copy needs to be replaced due to damage in shipping (from Paul directly, obviously)? I wonder the same about Centipede titles as those have printed numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Parviz View Post
    Finally got my copy of seed today after a long time in transit. Strange that the number is not hand written . Anybody know if that is going to be that way on future titles or is this a one off?
    I really like the printed number. I have photo in my collection thread. I am not aware of Paul commenting on this but I hope he continues with the printed number.

Leave a comment:

• Parviz
    replied
    Finally got my copy of seed today after a long time in transit. Strange that the number is not hand written . Anybody know if that is going to be that way on future titles or is this a one off?

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Not Suntup specific, but all of my books are alphabetical by Author, and then by release date. Although, I I have been known to put all the various King and Lansdale and Hill editions together by release date of the original novel, but then again I end up moving them back to actual release date. What this means is I have a mess and need more shelves and The Magic Wagon appears practically everywhere since my god how many different editions of that are there??

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Were it me and you want to keep all your Suntup books together, I'd suggest doing it alphabetically by the author's last name, not date of release, regardless of Artist or Limited edition. It'd bug me to no end to have RED DRAGON and SotL (and Ahlborn's two, and McCarthy's two, et al) separate.
    I am keeping all except King and Hill books together. They are in author specific bookcases. I had not really thought about anything other than a release date sort until I received Seed and realized I had two from the same author. As I was attempting to restore order in my mind the pending arrival of a second Thomas Harris novel coming and that it was a follow up to the first. Well that just caused a short circuit in my mind. That said, I think my only real option, that will not drive me over the edge at least, is to re-order alphabetical by author. With that I believe I will also split Artist and Limited into separate groupings. My brain appears to be accepting of this solution, for now at least. When I actually make the move my brain may short circuit again.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

I did not buy The Road so that will not be an issue. The Red Dragon/Silence duo has me strongly considering placement by author though. If I go that route they will probably be in alphabetical order. I am also considering separating the Artist and Limited editions. I currently have them side by side. I am weird about this kind of thing. I know I am good company here though!
    Were it me and you want to keep all your Suntup books together, I'd suggest doing it alphabetically by the author's last name, not date of release, regardless of Artist or Limited edition. It'd bug me to no end to have RED DRAGON and SotL (and Ahlborn's two, and McCarthy's two, et al) separate.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Also, if you do it for this one, will you then have to do it for The Road & Blood Meridian, assuming that you purchase Blood Meridian next month.
    I did not buy The Road so that will not be an issue. The Red Dragon/Silence duo has me strongly considering placement by author though. If I go that route they will probably be in alphabetical order. I am also considering separating the Artist and Limited editions. I currently have them side by side. I am weird about this kind of thing. I know I am good company here though!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    If you are needing the cash it seems like a very long list- at least for now- of people who would pay good money for future rights. Good luck to you.

Originally posted by Splync View Post

Yes, for now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X