X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

The rumors were that the author was not happy that he had been forced to write Hannibal. The production company forced his hand in stating that they would have someone else write the story if he would not as they had the rights to the characters. He purposely wrote it with an ending they would not be willing to use. Sure enough the movie completely ignores to ending from the book, it simply did not happen. The primary complaint is that events occur that are too out of character. While I understand that, I also think the author set it up well enough to explain the dramatic shift. I finished this book on a flight home from Salt Lake City and I think I actually laughed out loud when the twist was revealed.
    Wow, I had never heard that before. That really sucks for Harris. I guess he/his agent never expected Silence to become the hit movie that it was which is why I'm sure that the characters were optioned. Wonder if that production company would get away with that today as people right now seem to be a bit more sensitive to that type of thing at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

I actually never got around to reading Hannibal. I had always planned to read it; however, I made the mistake of watching the movie beforehand which completely stunk IMO. Because of that, I never went back and actually read the book. For that reason, I would be excited if Hannibal ends up being the announcement as it would finally give me a reason to read it. I also love the idea of having a complete Suntup "Lecter" set.
    The rumors were that the author was not happy that he had been forced to write Hannibal. The production company forced his hand in stating that they would have someone else write the story if he would not as they had the rights to the characters. He purposely wrote it with an ending they would not be willing to use. Sure enough the movie completely ignores to ending from the book, it simply did not happen. The primary complaint is that events occur that are too out of character. While I understand that, I also think the author set it up well enough to explain the dramatic shift. I finished this book on a flight home from Salt Lake City and I think I actually laughed out loud when the twist was revealed.
    Last edited by Martin; 03-14-2022, 09:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Everything I have ever read about HANNIBAL suggests to me that I would not at all enjoy it, so I’ve never bought it. I don’t think this Suntup edition will change that, but we’ll see.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Most of Hannibal was good, but the very very end..maybe it was an epilogue, just killed it for me.
    I actually never got around to reading Hannibal. I had always planned to read it; however, I made the mistake of watching the movie beforehand which completely stunk IMO. Because of that, I never went back and actually read the book. For that reason, I would be excited if Hannibal ends up being the announcement as it would finally give me a reason to read it. I also love the idea of having a complete Suntup "Lecter" set.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Most of Hannibal was good, but the very very end..maybe it was an epilogue, just killed it for me.
    I think I am in the minority on this, but I rather liked the ending.

Leave a comment:

• bsaenz24
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

#1 is clearly Hannibal. King referred as The Exorcist and Hannibal as the two scariest books he has read at one time.
    #2 Since The Omen was a novelization of a movie I do not expect that to be the title. I have no clue what it is but hope it is not The DaVinci Code.
    #3 Le Guinn matches the description. Gaimans American Gods would also fit. The fact that it is not signed by the author pushes me to lean into Le Guinn.
    I hope number two isn't the Da Vinci Code as well. I didn't make that my guess as I didn't think it would fit the horror franchise part of the clue; however, maybe I am incorrect and people do consider this series to be horror. Lets hope not!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Any guesses regarding today's Suntup announcement schedule? I'm terrible at them, but, my guesses are below...

1) Stephen King once referred to this book as “one of the two most frightening novels of our time. I cheated and put that quote into the old google machine. Using the results, my guess would be Thomas Harris' Hanibal, which would make sense considering he has already published the two prior books in the series.

2) This terrifying tale drawn from Biblical prophecies spawned one of the most successful horror franchises of all time. Not sure if this was an actual book or a novelization of a movie, but, my guess is The Omen. I know that The Omen has had multiple films and would be considered a successful franchise. it also fits the Biblical prophecies hint.

3) An American classic by one of the most influential novelists of postmodern literature, this Nebula and Hugo award-winning book is considered the author’s finest masterpiece. No idea on this one. My random guess is Ursula K Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness.
    #1 is clearly Hannibal. King referred as The Exorcist and Hannibal as the two scariest books he has read at one time.
    #2 Since The Omen was a novelization of a movie I do not expect that to be the title. I have no clue what it is but hope it is not The DaVinci Code.
    #3 Le Guinn matches the description. Gaimans American Gods would also fit. The fact that it is not signed by the author pushes me to lean into Le Guinn.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Any guesses regarding today's Suntup announcement schedule? I'm terrible at them, but, my guesses are below...

1) Stephen King once referred to this book as “one of the two most frightening novels of our time. I cheated and put that quote into the old google machine. Using the results, my guess would be Thomas Harris' Hanibal, which would make sense considering he has already published the two prior books in the series.

2) This terrifying tale drawn from Biblical prophecies spawned one of the most successful horror franchises of all time. Not sure if this was an actual book or a novelization of a movie, but, my guess is The Omen. I know that The Omen has had multiple films and would be considered a successful franchise. it also fits the Biblical prophecies hint.

3) An American classic by one of the most influential novelists of postmodern literature, this Nebula and Hugo award-winning book is considered the author’s finest masterpiece. No idea on this one. My random guess is Ursula K Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I now have a budget that I have to follow to the penny, so my book purchases have to be right for me now. Sadly, this is another title I have to pass on.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I have the signed (by Crouch) and numbered UK 1st HC from Goldsboro, so am skipping this new edition. But if I didn’t have the earlier deluxe edition, I’d be all over this Suntup edition…it’s such a great read, I loved it.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I have never read Dark Matter and the art doesn't speak to me. This is a pass for me.
    Feel the same way. Have never read anything by this author. Also don't care for the art. Can't quite put my finger on it, but, I guess I would say that it is too videogamish (yes totally made up word). Not sure how true this is, but, I have also seen reviews that state the author tends to write in very short choppy sentences. From the examples that were provided, this book probably wouldn't be my jam.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I have never read Dark Matter and the art doesn't speak to me. This is a pass for me.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Dark Matter is the newest release.

https://suntup.press/dark-matter

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I took some pictures comparing it to CD's IT - definitely a tad thicker. Not sure if it's the thickest book I have, but it would be damn close. I especially love the purple slipcase - it's just so stunning.

Also forgot the AGE came with the premium pack.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X