X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Watership Down would definitely knock me off my non-buying streak with Suntup. Replay, I’d have to think about. I really like the book, but budget might get in the way.

Will this book announcement have an AE?
    Replay intrigues me but if my choice was between those titles I would pick Watership Down.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Watership Down would definitely knock me off my non-buying streak with Suntup. Replay, I’d have to think about. I really like the book, but budget might get in the way.

Will this book announcement have an AE?

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Replay is the title I see mentioned most often. As usual I am clueless.

Leave a comment:

• joejets
    replied
    Any guesses about tomorrow's announcement? Maybe Watership Down?

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I have the Lonely Road edition (part of the reason why I passed on the Suntup edition) and it’s been in the reading queue for years. I really need to get around to it.
    I have the S/L Lonely Roads edition as well -- and, for that matter, the S/L Cemetery Dance two-book volume -- so, like you, didn't need a third copy of Blatty's book, no matter how nice it did look. I will say r.e. the book vs. movie, I think this is one of those rare instances -- having just read the book a half-dozen or so years ago, or whenever the CD edition came out -- where the movie was better than the book.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I have the Lonely Road edition (part of the reason why I passed on the Suntup edition) and it’s been in the reading queue for years. I really need to get around to it.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I haven't read The Exorcist before - never seen the movie either. One of these days I'll get to it. Too many books to read.
    I think the book and the movie are both great.

IMO, each represents an example of classic horror in their respective mediums.

B

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    I haven't read The Exorcist before - never seen the movie either. One of these days I'll get to it. Too many books to read.
    I re-read it a couple of years ago. I think the story actually held up well and I really enjoyed it, Have not seen the movie since I was a teenager so I really do not remember it, I think I liked it though.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied

I got my copy today. Quickly looked at it and it looks really nice. I love the purple boards.
    Yes, it's really nice. I started reading it yesterday, and the fresh ink smell is pretty good, too

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Looks like my copy of the AGE for "The Exorcist" is scheduled to be delivered today. Can't wait to see how it turned out!!!
    I got my copy today. Quickly looked at it and it looks really nice. I love the purple boards.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Looks like my copy of the AGE for "The Exorcist" is scheduled to be delivered today. Can't wait to see how it turned out!!!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Received my AGE for "A Scanner Darkly" yesterday. Really enjoy the look of this book and think the slipcase that matches it is fantastic. Can't wait to give this story a re-read soon as it has been years since I first read it.

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Not really. While it was relatively entertaining, like a forgettable TV movie (as opposed to the cinematic splendor of THE STAND or 'SALEM'S LOT), I just didn't buy the voice. With some of its wizened smugness and atypical references (doc-in-a-box, etc.), it just didn't seem to always fit the protagonist's age of 22 years...it was kind of uneven in that regard. King's a talented writer, of course, but he's also 73 years old, 51 years removed from his protagonist, and -- for me -- I just didn't quite buy the young voice this time around, not like JOYLAND. The open ending (being vague to avoid spoilers) also seemed anticlimactic and unnecessary if he's not planning to continue this as a series, and given that it's a HCC presumed standalone, that would seem not to be the case. A few other nigglings, too, but that's enough. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.
    I always appreciate your well-considered thought on books, so- thanks for these. Yeah, I've had a hard time with King in his later years, as a lot of others have. It's literally those idiosyncratic, bizarre... crutches, for lack of a better word that he leans on incessantly that pull me out of his stories now. It's funny you mentioned Salem's Lot- as I just re-read it -and Carrie- again in some desperate need of "Comfort King", and finding both even better than the last time I read them. He had that fire of youth and desperation, and, frankly- editing!- that made those early books amazing, soup to nuts. I always think about something my wife said many years ago- "Inspired, brilliant creativity is not infinite". After 50 or whatever it is now books- how could it possibly be? I will always love what he showed me early on in my formative years, and always love the man for it- and will also always keep hope for one last "great" book (or more!). Well, I will read it and see for myself.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by swintek View Post

It's in my TBR Short Stack. It didn't impress you, Ron?
    Not really. While it was relatively entertaining, like a forgettable TV movie (as opposed to the cinematic splendor of THE STAND or 'SALEM'S LOT), I just didn't buy the voice. With some of its wizened smugness and atypical references (doc-in-a-box, etc.), it just didn't seem to always fit the protagonist's age of 22 years...it was kind of uneven in that regard. King's a talented writer, of course, but he's also 73 years old, 51 years removed from his protagonist, and -- for me -- I just didn't quite buy the young voice this time around, not like JOYLAND. The open ending (being vague to avoid spoilers) also seemed anticlimactic and unnecessary if he's not planning to continue this as a series, and given that it's a HCC presumed standalone, that would seem not to be the case. A few other nigglings, too, but that's enough. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X