Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the weekend I saw 2 recently, quite hyped movies:

Fences - Now, I usually like anything with Denzel Washington, and my wife loves Viola Davis. Lots of hype about this! I think maybe the stage show of this may have been better, but even still, I don't get the hype. Not my kind of movie maybe Found it very boring.

Arrival - I usually am a big sci-fi fan, and having not read Ted Chaing's Story of Your Life, I was not sure what I was about to watch. I will say this, it was late, and I was quite tired, so I probably missed a lot of key points. Overall though, it was an interesting concept for a first contact story. First contact stories, are very intriguing to me, and first contact itself could one day change humanity as we know it presently. It was nice to see a sci-fi, alien contact film that wasn't just a "whip out our military and destroy them" type. There is enough real wars going on....why do I need to watch the military save the day about aliens.....they may not be the bad guys!

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
      Over the weekend I saw 2 recently, quite hyped movies:....Arrival - I usually am a big sci-fi fan, and having not read Ted Chaing's Story of Your Life, I was not sure what I was about to watch. I will say this, it was late, and I was quite tired, so I probably missed a lot of key points. Overall though, it was an interesting concept for a first contact story. First contact stories, are very intriguing to me, and first contact itself could one day change humanity as we know it presently. It was nice to see a sci-fi, alien contact film that wasn't just a "whip out our military and destroy them" type. There is enough real wars going on....why do I need to watch the military save the day about aliens.....they may not be the bad guys!
      I really enjoyed Arrival but I can't really say why. My sister went with her family and when she asked me about it she said they didn't get it. They understood what happened but they didn't just didn't care for it. I asked her if she'd seen Interstellar and she hadn't, I told her not to watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
        I really enjoyed Arrival but I can't really say why. My sister went with her family and when she asked me about it she said they didn't get it. They understood what happened but they didn't just didn't care for it. I asked her if she'd seen Interstellar and she hadn't, I told her not to watch it.
        Interstellar was another one, where I was pretty excited about it when I saw the trailers, and pre-release hype, but after seeing it (especially the ending) felt disappointed. Hoping that the second Prometheus (loved the first one!) does not disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
          Interstellar was another one, where I was pretty excited about it when I saw the trailers, and pre-release hype, but after seeing it (especially the ending) felt disappointed. Hoping that the second Prometheus (loved the first one!) does not disappoint.
          The first time I watched Interstellar I was a bit underwhelmed but I've watched it a couple times since and like it more each time. As for Alien Covenant, that's one I'm really looking forward to watching.

Comment

Anyone here bother to see Passengers? I was intrigued by the previews then disillusioned by the reviews. I finally decided to see it tonight (had planned to see Split but my buddy wants to go next week) and I enjoyed it. More chick-flicky than I expected but overall decent.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
              Anyone here bother to see Passengers? I was intrigued by the previews then disillusioned by the reviews. I finally decided to see it tonight (had planned to see Split but my buddy wants to go next week) and I enjoyed it. More chick-flicky than I expected but overall decent.
              Nah I didn't bother. To me it looked like the trailers gave away the whole movie, and it didn't look interesting enough to see it after that.
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I haven't seen it either. I think my wife wanted to see it, but it felt more of "wait for DVD" movie rather than "rush to the theaters". I want to see Split, though!

Comment

I went into it thinking about the moral issues I had read about in some reviews so I was thinking about that during the movie and it made it more interesting.

Comment

Just watched Don't Look Now, featuring Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland, for the second time last night. I'd seen it a while ago and it had really struck me with it's visuals and cinematography. The story itself is simple enough, but not altogether straightforward. Instead the movie plays out almost as a some sort of Venetian dream or nightmare. The main theme is coping with loss and grief, but with an added element of the supernatural (potentially). Just a great movie with fantastic use of colour (red specifically) to drive the theme. Glad I picked up the Criterion blu-ray.

Comment

The Lego Batman Movie: More of the fun and funny chaos that The LEGO Movie inspired. You can only be original once, but for jokes per minute that actually land, this movie probably won't be beat this year. This movie acknowledges the silliness of the comic book superhero while paying tribute to what fans love about them. It skewers the superhero, then skewers itself for skewering the superhero. It's a beautifully-animated laughfest that is fun for kiddies and the accompanying adults. Will Arnett is exceptional as Batman and I nominate him to immediately replace Kevin Conroy in all future animated Batman projects.

Not as awesome as the first film, but just as fun.

4.5/5

Here's an idea: DC should make all their EU movies as LEGO movies. I think <I>Suicide Squad</I> would've rocked as a LEGO movie!
                      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                        The Lego Batman Movie: More of the fun and funny chaos that The LEGO Movie inspired. You can only be original once, but for jokes per minute that actually land, this movie probably won't be beat this year. This movie acknowledges the silliness of the comic book superhero while paying tribute to what fans love about them. It skewers the superhero, then skewers itself for skewering the superhero. It's a beautifully-animated laughfest that is fun for kiddies and the accompanying adults. Will Arnett is exceptional as Batman and I nominate him to immediately replace Kevin Conroy in all future animated Batman projects.

Not as awesome as the first film, but just as fun.

4.5/5

Here's an idea: DC should make all their EU movies as LEGO movies. I think <I>Suicide Squad</I> would've rocked as a LEGO movie!
                        For what it's worth the Suicide Squad movie was not the first of its kind, Assault on Arkham, an animated film from a few years back preceded it and was superior in every way. Actually most of the DC animated movies gave been top notch.

Comment

I first saw L.A. Confidential 20 years ago and thought it was a good movie (3 stars). I saw it for the second time 20 minutes ago and thought it was a brilliant neo-noir (5 stars).
                          “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                          -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                            I first saw L.A. Confidential 20 years ago and thought it was a good movie (3 stars). I saw it for the second time 20 minutes ago and thought it was a brilliant neo-noir (5 stars).
                            I love L.A. Confidential. I'm glad that you gave it another chance! When it was first released, it just knocked me back in my seat. I was so confused when everyone else around me was rather ho-hum about it. I'd like to think that they've all come around on it like you have, but I've slowly come to the realization that most people view movies as disposable entertainment and rarely revisit films or would be bothered to watch something "old".

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                              I love Ellroy, I'm not sure his work transfers well to film, I guess, what I'm really saying, it doesn't feel as impactful. I like the idea of L.A. Confidential but it fell a little short for me. My Dark Places, an all time favorite. I'll leave you with one of Ellroy's opening monologues:
                              "Good evening peepers, prowlers, pederasts, panty-sniffers, punks and pimps. I'm James Ellroy, the demon dog with the hog-log, the foul owl with the death growl, the white knight of the far right, and the slick trick with the donkey dick. I'm the author of 16 books, masterpieces all; they precede all my future masterpieces. These books will leave you reamed, steamed and drycleaned, tie-dyed, swept to the side, true-blued, tattooed and bah fongooed. These are books for the whole fuckin' family, if the name of your family is Manson. "
                              I'm sure I'll go back and watch it.

Comment

I think L.A. Confidential was a great movie, but Ellroy's novels are so complex that is hard for it to translate completely onto the screen. That said I think they did a good job of making a comprehensive adaptation of the novel. Black Dahlia is another of his films that is a bit controversial. I liked it well enough, it captured the essence of the novel while keeping a completely separate identity (in other words the film won't ruin the novel). Well shot, a bit cliché, but very retro-noir in style. Most were not big fans of it though. That said it may have been better had the film not been butchered of nearly an hour of footage that has yet to be released.

He's also penned screenplays for films too, one with Woody Harrelson, Rampart, was pretty good. Slow and a bit weird, but well made.

Comment

Working...
                                X