No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else think the movie The Martian outranks the book by just a bit? I liked the book, but wasn't quite as sympathetic for Watney as I would've thought given the circumstances. In the movie, Damon really helped that aspect. Also, the landscapes in the movie were pretty spectacular, and I don't recall drawing those pictures during the read. For me, this movie joins a very, very small list that actually outranks the source.

Movie: 4 stars
    Book: 3+ stars
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
      Anyone else think the movie The Martian outranks the book by just a bit? I liked the book, but wasn't quite as sympathetic for Watney as I would've thought given the circumstances. In the movie, Damon really helped that aspect. Also, the landscapes in the movie were pretty spectacular, and I don't recall drawing those pictures during the read. For me, this movie joins a very, very small list that actually outranks the source.

Movie: 4 stars
      Book: 3+ stars
      Not for me. I rate the book just a little bit better. The movie toned down the humor a bit too much, and the movie didn't do a great job at portraying the passage of time. I still love both though. Everyone was giving such credit to Ridley Scott for the movie, and while I'm sure his directing helps, it's the source material that really carries the movie.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
        Not for me. I rate the book just a little bit better. The movie toned down the humor a bit too much, and the movie didn't do a great job at portraying the passage of time. I still love both though. Everyone was giving such credit to Ridley Scott for the movie, and while I'm sure his directing helps, it's the source material that really carries the movie.
        I get that, and I think you're right about the humor toning down in the movie. You know how in Apollo 13 we were on the edge of our seats every time a disaster happened and their lives were under further threat? That's what I found missing in the book, and felt it was done just a little better in the movie. Maybe I weighed that aspect too heavily, or maybe others didn't feel that way, because I think you're in the majority opinion on the book.

You might like this, Dan. I've taken a few swipes at modern comic book movies lately, and I've seen you post positive things occasionally. I think I'm coming around to the Marvel Universe. I always liked the first Iron Man a lot, and I like the sequels too, just not nearly as much. Avengers was really good and I actually liked both Hulk movies, but others in the Universe I was fairly ho-hum about. Avengers 2 kind of pissed me off.

But then I finally saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I loved this one, so much so I think it's my favorite of any of the movies. It's not just a fantastic comic book movie, it's a fantastic movie. Civil War was great, too. Those two shifted my position enough that they have me going back through the entire Universe. I'm really digging Marvel for the first time in my life.
        -John Barth

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
          I get that, and I think you're right about the humor toning down in the movie. You know how in Apollo 13 we were on the edge of our seats every time a disaster happened and their lives were under further threat? That's what I found missing in the book, and felt it was done just a little better in the movie. Maybe I weighed that aspect too heavily, or maybe others didn't feel that way, because I think you're in the majority opinion on the book.

You might like this, Dan. I've taken a few swipes at modern comic book movies lately, and I've seen you post positive things occasionally. I think I'm coming around to the Marvel Universe. I always liked the first Iron Man a lot, and I like the sequels too, just not nearly as much. Avengers was really good and I actually liked both Hulk movies, but others in the Universe I was fairly ho-hum about. Avengers 2 kind of pissed me off.

But then I finally saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I loved this one, so much so I think it's my favorite of any of the movies. It's not just a fantastic comic book movie, it's a fantastic movie. Civil War was great, too. Those two shifted my position enough that they have me going back through the entire Universe. I'm really digging Marvel for the first time in my life.
          As far as that feeling of dread thing goes, that's not really something I felt in either book or movie. When reading the book it's kinda clear from the start that he's gonna make it, just by the tone of the writing. Then the movie I already knew what was gonna happen so all of that was lost on me anyways.

Winter Soldier is probably the best of the lot. I like the comic book movies, just in a different way than a movie like The Martian. To me they are just big dumb action movies, popcorn fodder if you will. They don't have to make a lot of sense, the plot doesn't have to be super deep, they are just big action set pieces that are fun to watch. I even enjoy (on some level) the ones that are universally panned (with the exception of that Fantastic 4 reboot, that movie was just unwatchable).

Instagram

Comment

(with the exception of that Fantastic 4 reboot, that movie was just unwatchable).
            Maybe it was because the reviews portrayed it so poorly and my expectations were so very low, but I actually enjoyed Fantastic 4. I talked my friend into watching it and he enjoyed it as well. Certainly not a perfect movie but one that I would watch again.

I went to an early screening of Hacksaw Ridge last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Comment

I saw Doctor Strange last night. I thought it was very very good. I'm not sure where it would fit in my "Marvel Movie Rankings" but it's towards the top.

Instagram

Comment

I saw Doctor Strange last night. I thought it was very very good. I'm not sure where it would fit in my "Marvel Movie Rankings" but it's towards the top.
                That's good to hear. It seems to be getting good reviews all around--currently at 90% at Rotten Tomatoes--and I've been fairly excited to see this one. I've always enjoyed Dr. Strange but he tends to be a hard nut for writers to crack. I'll definitely be checking it out, but probably not until it hits Blu-Ray.

Comment

Double Indemnity is one of the greatest movies I've ever seen (5 stars), even better than Touch of Evil (also 5 stars). It's time to take a closer look at film noir.
                  -John Barth

Comment

^Please do! One of my favourite genres, and both you mentioned are great films. I find interesting that while I like Double Indemnity and love The Postman Always Rings twice books, the opposite would be true for the movies. In a rare turn I'd actually argue the Double Indemnity film is potentially better than the book.

Comment

Theli, or anyone else, expert, enthusiast or impassioned, here's the list I'm going through--a couple of these are arguable for the genre, I know. Please add essential film noir you feel is missing!!!

Asphalt Jungle
                      Big Heat
                      Big Sleep
                      Casablanca - 5
                      Criss Cross
                      Dark Passage
                      Detour
                      Double Indemnity - 5
                      Gilda
                      In a Lonely Place
                      Killers
                      Killing
                      Kiss Me Deadly
                      Lady From Shanghai
                      Laura
                      Maltese Falcon
                      Murder, My Sweet
                      Night and the City
                      Night of the Hunter
                      Nightmare Alley
                      Notorious
                      Out of the Past
                      Pickup on South Street
                      Postman Always Rings Twice
                      Shadow of a Doubt - 5-
                      Strangers on a Train
                      Sunset Boulevard
                      Sweet Smell of Success
                      Thieves' Highway
                      Third Man
                      Touch of Evil - 5
                      Wrong Man

*edit - making this it's own topic so I can keep rambling about these films without hijacking this thread.
                      Last edited by bugen; 12-17-2016, 07:17 PM.
                      -John Barth

Comment

Anyone else see Rogue One? I saw and really liked it. I hope the put all the scenes the re-shot on the DVD when it comes out. There's was a lot different from the trailer.

Instagram

Comment

I went Thursday (got a free ticket from a friend) and Friday (the time I planned to go with buddies). I enjoyed it, too.

Comment

Took my nephew to see it yesterday. In a lot of ways it was better than The Force Awakens: better acting, better action sequences, better at standing as it's own SW film (it didn't feel like a obsessive's experiment). But it many ways it was the lesser of the two: characters you can't really care about, lousy and uninvolving score, it didn't have the kinetic energy of a Star Wars film. In the end, I felt the same way about it that I felt about Peirce Brosnan's James Bond films: terrific action films but not very good Bond (Star Wars) films.

And where the hell was the opening scroll narrative?

3/5--which did I like better? I can't really say.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                              Took my nephew to see it yesterday. In a lot of ways it was better than The Force Awakens: better acting, better action sequences, better at standing as it's own SW film (it didn't feel like a obsessive's experiment). But it many ways it was the lesser of the two: characters you can't really care about, lousy and uninvolving score, it didn't have the kinetic energy of a Star Wars film. In the end, I felt the same way about it that I felt about Peirce Brosnan's James Bond films: terrific action films but not very good Bond (Star Wars) films.

And where the hell was the opening scroll narrative?

3/5--which did I like better? I can't really say.
                              I believe the thought process behind dropping the opening scroll narratives in these "Star Wars Stories" is to help distinguish them from the "Episodes" effect or not it didn't really bother me that much.

Instagram

Comment

I believe the thought process behind dropping the opening scroll narratives in these "Star Wars Stories" is to help distinguish them from the "Episodes" effect or not it didn't really bother me that much.
                                I didn't miss the scroll as much as the lack of the opening John Williams fanfare. After that I didn't think about the score but when it got over my buddy mentioned he didn't like it.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/5-reaso...161933559.html

Comment

Working...
                                X