• Show
Clear All

Weird, James Ellroy!? LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
      Weird, James Ellroy!? LOL!!
      Why I never!

Comment

So would you guys recommend the book version of L.A. Confidential over the movie? I've been meaning to pick it for years, but I've been hesitant because I love the movie so much. It's kind of weird to say that as most cases point to the book being better than the movie, but there are a select few where I've actually held the adaptation in higher regard than the source material. I might get myself into hot water here, but the two notable examples are The Mist and The Shawshank Redemption. Granted, I saw both film adaptations prior to reading the King stories, but I've always felt that Darabont perfectly distilled the essence of the source material and by doing so concocted a more potent version of these stories. The Prestige is another case where I thought that Nolan's film trumped Christopher Priest's novel.

Comment

On Wed. evening, I saw approx. 40-45 minutes of Fifty Shades Darker. That was all I could stomach-than I walked out. The plot of FSD....What plot? Lots of nudity and sex scenes if you're into that.

Cap
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

On my way!

Kidding. I have less than zero interest in seeing those films.

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
            On Wed. evening, I saw approx. 40-45 minutes of Fifty Shades Darker. That was all I could stomach-than I walked out. The plot of FSD....What plot? Lots of nudity and sex scenes if you're into that.

Cap

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              So would you guys recommend the book version of L.A. Confidential over the movie? I've been meaning to pick it for years, but I've been hesitant because I love the movie so much. It's kind of weird to say that as most cases point to the book being better than the movie, but there are a select few where I've actually held the adaptation in higher regard than the source material. I might get myself into hot water here, but the two notable examples are The Mist and The Shawshank Redemption. Granted, I saw both film adaptations prior to reading the King stories, but I've always felt that Darabont perfectly distilled the essence of the source material and by doing so concocted a more potent version of these stories. The Prestige is another case where I thought that Nolan's film trumped Christopher Priest's novel.
              I would recommend it. Though it is book 3 of a semi-connected quadrology. Any could be read on their own, but I think they are best enjoyed as a series.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                I would recommend it. Though it is book 3 of a semi-connected quadrology. Any could be read on their own, but I think they are best enjoyed as a series.
                Well...in for a penny, in for a pound. I'm gonna try and the used bookshops this weekend and see if I can't track down the books. Thanks, Theli!

Comment

I just finished watching Arrival and I loved it. I keep thinking that Denis Villeneuve can't get any better, but each movie he puts out is better than the last. His style is evident in each of his films and you can feel the edges of his films tinged with an artistic touch that never descends into pretentiousness. Villeneuve knows he's there to tell the audience a story, but it's always with the touch of an artist.

I can see why some audience members would be turned off by the film due to their expectations of what they thought the movie would be versus what it is, but I found it fascinating, heartbreaking, and beautiful, all at once.

Grade: A

Comment

I just finished watching Arrival and I loved it. I keep thinking that Denis Villeneuve can't get any better, but each movie he puts out is better than the last. His style is evident in each of his films and you can feel the edges of his films tinged with an artistic touch that never descends into pretentiousness. Villeneuve knows he's there to tell the audience a story, but it's always with the touch of an artist.

I can see why some audience members would be turned off by the film due to their expectations of what they thought the movie would be versus what it is, but I found it fascinating, heartbreaking, and beautiful, all at once.

I've been trying to pry this movie out of Netflix's hands for a few days now with no luck. But I'll keep trying, and if they stall too long I'm going with Redbox.
                    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I watched it for the second time Wednesday night and enjoyed it more the second time around. Great movie.

Saw Split last week and need to see that one again too.

Comment

Well...in for a penny, in for a pound. I'm gonna try and the used bookshops this weekend and see if I can't track down the books. Thanks, Theli!
                        Nice! For what it's worth, the second book, The Big Nowhere, was my favourite of the bunch.

Comment

Have you read My Dark Places? Talk about excellent writing! His short fiction is also very good.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
                            I watched it for the second time Wednesday night and enjoyed it more the second time around. Great movie.

Saw Split last week and need to see that one again too.
                            I really enjoyed Split as well. Didn't see the ending coming at all.

Comment

I enjoyed Split - Arrival......maybe I have to watch it again.

I am really looking forward to A Cure For Wellness. Something about it is just really drawing my attention!

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                                I am really looking forward to A Cure For Wellness. Something about it is just really drawing my attention!
                                It's probably the eels.

Comment

Working...
                                X