Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Brooklyn: A sweet, charming love story that is buoyed by the performances, especially by Saoirse Ronan. The first two-thirds are pretty much everything that I would want from a movie like this, but the last third feels rushed and contrived and never quite hits the dramatic pitch that you want it to. Grade: B-

    Hacksaw Ridge: In direct contrast to Brooklyn, I thought that the first third of Mel Gibson's World War II movie struggled to find its footing and found the decision to keep the reason as to why Doss refused to use a firearm hidden from the audience for a good chunk of the time was a misstep as I had a hard time rooting for him as I didn't understand his motivation. Once the war scenes start, WOW! Tense, brutal, heroic and moving, I finished the movie moved by Doss's real life courage and heroism. People had complaints about Vince Vaughn's casting, but I thought he was solid. Grade: B+

    Manchester By The Sea: Casey Affleck deserved every accolade that was thrown at him for his portrayal of a broken man returning to his hometown after his brother's death. I've long been a fan and I was happy to see everybody else get on board the Casey Affleck train. Michelle Williams was fantastic as well. Unfortunately, I felt that the movie started and stalled frequently, never allowing it gain any momentum to point that I was literally stunned when the movie ended. I wanted to love this movie and I did love parts of it, but as a whole it left me rather cold. Grade: C

    Comment


      <I>Logan</I>: I wonder what effect this is going to have on Marvel Universe movies going forward. I found it the most satisfying Marvel Universe movie to date. It's a violent, old-school action movie that doesn't depend on quick cuts of editing and swoop camera angles to hide CGI effects. It action sequences are well-staged and organic, always in service to the story rather than being showcases of technical wizardry. In his swan song as Wolverine, Jack gives one of the best performances of his career in the role that will ultimately define him as a screen actor. This is a great comic book film--not quite at the level of The Dark Knight, but awfully damn close. But it's also simply a great film: comic book, action or dramatic. Part Shane, part Unforgiven, part The Shootist and even part Mad Max: Fury Road, (in it's old-school effects), Logan deconstructs the superhero genre and becomes it's own creature. It has its flaws (mostly with the villains characters, but Richard Grant has a lot of fun with his role). And, yes, I misted up in the film's finale. I must admit, the MU would be more interesting as a series of R-Rated films.

      Definitely a big-screen adventure.

      4.5/5
      Last edited by srboone; 03-05-2017, 10:37 AM.
      "I'm a vegan. "

      ---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

      Comment


        Originally posted by srboone View Post
        <I>Logan</I>: I wonder what effect this is going to have on Marvel Universe movies going forward. I found it the most satisfying Marvel Universe movie to date. It's a violent, old-school action movie that doesn't depend on quick cuts of editing and swoop camera angles to hide CGI effects. It action sequences are well-staged and organic, always in service to the story rather than being showcases of technical wizardry. In his swan song as Wolverine, Jack gives one of the best performances of his career in the role that will ultimately define him as a screen actor. This is a great comic book film--not quite at the level of The Dark Knight, but awfully damn close. But it's also simply a great film: comic book, action or dramatic. Part Shane, part Unforgiven, part The Shootist and even part Mad Max: Fury Road, (in it's old-school effects), Logan deconstructs the superhero genre and becomes it's own creature. It has its flaws (mostly with the villains characters, but Richard Grant has a lot of fun with his role). And, yes, I misted up in the film's finale. I must admit, the MU would be more interesting as a series of R-Rated films.

        Definitely a big-screen adventure.

        4.5/5
        I 100% agree. I think the combination of Logan and Deadpool are going to have a huge effect on Fox's X-Men franchise of movies. That said I don't think we'll see any change in Disney's MCU. Disney has a formula that sells. While most of their movies aren't really anything special (meaning they are pretty much all the same) they sell and have a very broad appeal. I actually wish Disney would be a little more daring with their Marvel movies, but it seems unlikely to happen unless people stop going to see them.
        CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

        Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

        Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

        Comment


          Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          I 100% agree. I think the combination of Logan and Deadpool are going to have a huge effect on Fox's X-Men franchise of movies. That said I don't think we'll see any change in Disney's MCU. Disney has a formula that sells. While most of their movies aren't really anything special (meaning they are pretty much all the same) they sell and have a very broad appeal. I actually wish Disney would be a little more daring with their Marvel movies, but it seems unlikely to happen unless people stop going to see them.
          I stopped a while ago. I just don't care to see more of the same in a new wrapper every few months. Might check out Logan though. The reviews sound intriguing and I always thought that Jackman as Wolvie was the only redeeming factor of the X-Men films anyway.

          Comment


            Looks like the Film Noir thread got closed so I guess I'll post here.

            Watched Hitchcock's Spellbound recently. Great movie. Well shot and acted, Ingrid Bergman is fantastic. There's one surreal dream sequence that I think really elevates the movie and adds to the psychosis of the film.

            Also finally watched The French Connection. I loved it. Dark, taut and suspenseful, but also atmospheric and gritty. It's evident when watching that it is William Friedkin (director of The Exorcist) the colour palette and cinematography is similar. It has almost a neo noir feel to it, or maybe a more gritty and uncut version of Dragnet. The music is sparse but intense and appropriate.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Theli View Post
              Looks like the Film Noir thread got closed so I guess I'll post here.

              Watched Hitchcock's Spellbound recently. Great movie. Well shot and acted, Ingrid Bergman is fantastic. There's one surreal dream sequence that I think really elevates the movie and adds to the psychosis of the film.

              Also finally watched The French Connection. I loved it. Dark, taut and suspenseful, but also atmospheric and gritty. It's evident when watching that it is William Friedkin (director of The Exorcist) the colour palette and cinematography is similar. It has almost a neo noir feel to it, or maybe a more gritty and uncut version of Dragnet. The music is sparse but intense and appropriate.
              That thread looks open to me.
              CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

              Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

              Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

              Comment


                Originally posted by Theli View Post
                I stopped a while ago. I just don't care to see more of the same in a new wrapper every few months. Might check out Logan though. The reviews sound intriguing and I always thought that Jackman as Wolvie was the only redeeming factor of the X-Men films anyway.
                For the most part I don't think you've missed much. In the X-Men world they've been fairly solid (with the exception of Apocalypse). The Marvel movie on the other hand, while I see all of them, they are almost never anything special, with the exception of maybe Guardians of The Galaxy and Winter Soldier. At this point they are just dumb action movies, but I think that's kinda the point. The DC movies are even worse about it, they are all style over substance, though that's pretty much Zack Snyder's MO, unless he's directly adapting a story.

                This all said I really think you could go into Logan without having seen another X-Men movie and you would be completely fine.
                CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

                Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

                Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                  For the most part I don't think you've missed much. In the X-Men world they've been fairly solid (with the exception of Apocalypse). The Marvel movie on the other hand, while I see all of them, they are almost never anything special, with the exception of maybe Guardians of The Galaxy and Winter Soldier. At this point they are just dumb action movies, but I think that's kinda the point. The DC movies are even worse about it, they are all style over substance, though that's pretty much Zack Snyder's MO, unless he's directly adapting a story.

                  This all said I really think you could go into Logan without having seen another X-Men movie and you would be completely fine.
                  Winter Soldier was the best in that Captain America run I feel. My wife had to basically force me to watch Guardians of the Galaxy as I thought it was just going to be completely silly. I prefer dark over silly in the comic movies (DC is much darker to their approach which really appeals to me personally). But I'm so glad she did force Guardians upon me! It was a great film and can't wait for the sequel. I'll be checking out Logan in the next day or so.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                    For the most part I don't think you've missed much. In the X-Men world they've been fairly solid (with the exception of Apocalypse). The Marvel movie on the other hand, while I see all of them, they are almost never anything special, with the exception of maybe Guardians of The Galaxy and Winter Soldier. At this point they are just dumb action movies, but I think that's kinda the point. The DC movies are even worse about it, they are all style over substance, though that's pretty much Zack Snyder's MO, unless he's directly adapting a story.

                    This all said I really think you could go into Logan without having seen another X-Men movie and you would be completely fine.
                    I still need to watch Winter Soldier. I'm sure I would like it, the first Captain America was my favourite of the Marvel films up to that point, and I really enjoyed the comic Winter Solider that the film was based on (really any of Brubaker's work). Guardians was fun, entertaining, but ultimately just fluff. I liked it, but it was kind of the straw that broke the camels back for me. What I mean by that is, that I'd been watching them all for a while, and arguably Guardians was the best at what it did; comedy, action, fun characters and their interaction, but even with that said it just didn't fulfill my desire in watching film. I left the film feeling like I drank two litres of soda and ate a ton of candy. Sick.


                    I agree with the current DC films, from what I have seen they have been disappointing, and thus I have given up on them too. Snyder had a promising start to his career, and arguably Watchmen may be the best comic book adaptation, but his style over substance approach, and his complete disregard for comic canon and character consistency has completely turned me off from his train wrecks called film.

                    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                    That thread looks open to me.
                    Weird, says closed for me and I can't post.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                      That thread looks open to me.
                      Looks closed from my end as well.
                      “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                      -John Barth

                      https://bugensbooks.com/

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Theli View Post
                        I still need to watch Winter Soldier. I'm sure I would like it, the first Captain America was my favourite of the Marvel films up to that point, and I really enjoyed the comic Winter Solider that the film was based on (really any of Brubaker's work). Guardians was fun, entertaining, but ultimately just fluff. I liked it, but it was kind of the straw that broke the camels back for me. What I mean by that is, that I'd been watching them all for a while, and arguably Guardians was the best at what it did; comedy, action, fun characters and their interaction, but even with that said it just didn't fulfill my desire in watching film. I left the film feeling like I drank two litres of soda and ate a ton of candy. Sick.


                        I agree with the current DC films, from what I have seen they have been disappointing, and thus I have given up on them too. Snyder had a promising start to his career, and arguably Watchmen may be the best comic book adaptation, but his style over substance approach, and his complete disregard for comic canon and character consistency has completely turned me off from his train wrecks called film.



                        Weird, says closed for me and I can't post.
                        Ok it might be fixed now. I have no idea how it got closed.

                        The DC stuff is weird for me. I go see them and I enjoy them, but I understand why other people don't. I continue to see them though as I love DC's comic characters (arguable more than Marvel's). As far as Zack Snyder goes his movie seem to be good when they are direct adaptations of preexisting stories (Watchmen and 300) but they suffer when it's his story and he's doing the writing (Sucker Punch). I'll still argue that Man of Steel and BvS are better movies than most people gave them credit for. Suicide Squad on the other hand (not Zack Snyder) was horrible, and just wreaks of studio interference.
                        CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

                        Non-Work related social media and what not:
                        Instagram

                        Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                          Ok it might be fixed now. I have no idea how it got closed.

                          The DC stuff is weird for me. I go see them and I enjoy them, but I understand why other people don't. I continue to see them though as I love DC's comic characters (arguable more than Marvel's). As far as Zack Snyder goes his movie seem to be good when they are direct adaptations of preexisting stories (Watchmen and 300) but they suffer when it's his story and he's doing the writing (Sucker Punch). I'll still argue that Man of Steel and BvS are better movies than most people gave them credit for. Suicide Squad on the other hand (not Zack Snyder) was horrible, and just wreaks of studio interference.
                          I liked Man of Steel and BvS, too. I like the dark vibe they have. I see all the Marvels and the Capt Americas have been my favorite but I also really liked Doctor Strange. I watched Suicide Squad a week or two ago, that one could (should) have been so much better.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                            Ok it might be fixed now. I have no idea how it got closed.

                            The DC stuff is weird for me. I go see them and I enjoy them, but I understand why other people don't. I continue to see them though as I love DC's comic characters (arguable more than Marvel's). As far as Zack Snyder goes his movie seem to be good when they are direct adaptations of preexisting stories (Watchmen and 300) but they suffer when it's his story and he's doing the writing (Sucker Punch). I'll still argue that Man of Steel and BvS are better movies than most people gave them credit for. Suicide Squad on the other hand (not Zack Snyder) was horrible, and just wreaks of studio interference.
                            I hated Man of Steel, and have not watched Batman vs. Superman. Man of Steel, along with it's unconnected predecessor Superman Returns, completely misrepresented the character and/or tone of the Superman comics, at least in my eyes. Though obviously the Nolan Batman movies took some liberties, they were mostly true to the character(s) and atmosphere, I thought. I too much prefer DC characters and universe, though I'm not much of a comic reader these days, I have gone through phases of incessant comic reading and cartoon watching (I still say the DCAU is the best film adaptations of any comics).

                            Suicide Squad was a let down in general. It lacked soul. And like you say it felt like there was too much studio, or producer (Snyder perhaps?) interference. That said I think it was weak from the core. Joker had prospects, and Harley was great, Flagg was solid too. The rest was mostly flat. It lacked the humour it should have had, the characters felt like cookie cutters and the lack of deaths in the Suicide Squad was also a bit of the let down. They kill off one of them right at the beginning, someone we had 0 attachment to, but other than that the film just felt safe.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Theli View Post
                              I hated Man of Steel, and have not watched Batman vs. Superman. Man of Steel, along with it's unconnected predecessor Superman Returns, completely misrepresented the character and/or tone of the Superman comics, at least in my eyes. Though obviously the Nolan Batman movies took some liberties, they were mostly true to the character(s) and atmosphere, I thought. I too much prefer DC characters and universe, though I'm not much of a comic reader these days, I have gone through phases of incessant comic reading and cartoon watching (I still say the DCAU is the best film adaptations of any comics).

                              Suicide Squad was a let down in general. It lacked soul. And like you say it felt like there was too much studio, or producer (Snyder perhaps?) interference. That said I think it was weak from the core. Joker had prospects, and Harley was great, Flagg was solid too. The rest was mostly flat. It lacked the humour it should have had, the characters felt like cookie cutters and the lack of deaths in the Suicide Squad was also a bit of the let down. They kill off one of them right at the beginning, someone we had 0 attachment to, but other than that the film just felt safe.
                              I can see where you're coming from with Man of Steel. For me I've never had any attachment to Superman as a character, so the change up there didn't really bother me. It actually felt a little bit more like the newer incarnations of him in comics. Where as the I never really felt the Nolan Batman movies ever got the Batman / Bruce Wayne combo right (plus that awful thing Bale did with his voice). Luckily the movie around that Batman was good enough to make up for it.
                              CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

                              Non-Work related social media and what not:
                              Instagram

                              Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Theli View Post
                                I hated Man of Steel, and have not watched Batman vs. Superman. Man of Steel, along with it's unconnected predecessor Superman Returns, completely misrepresented the character and/or tone of the Superman comics, at least in my eyes. Though obviously the Nolan Batman movies took some liberties, they were mostly true to the character(s) and atmosphere, I thought. I too much prefer DC characters and universe, though I'm not much of a comic reader these days, I have gone through phases of incessant comic reading and cartoon watching (I still say the DCAU is the best film adaptations of any comics).

                                Suicide Squad was a let down in general. It lacked soul. And like you say it felt like there was too much studio, or producer (Snyder perhaps?) interference. That said I think it was weak from the core. Joker had prospects, and Harley was great, Flagg was solid too. The rest was mostly flat. It lacked the humour it should have had, the characters felt like cookie cutters and the lack of deaths in the Suicide Squad was also a bit of the let down. They kill off one of them right at the beginning, someone we had 0 attachment to, but other than that the film just felt safe.
                                I've never really read any comics other than some Archie's which my mom had for us to read during trips. So I really have nothing to compare them to other than the other movies. I, too, liked Harley (a bright spot in the movie) and Joker was better than I expected but the funny thing is that I hated Flagg, probably the thing I disliked most about the whole movie. I kept thinking he needed to die and that I liked him better in RoboCop. Wasn't that thrilled with Viola Davis, either, though I usually like her.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X