No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to Alien Covenant, but an starting to second guess how much...... Alien is what it is - space horror basically. Prometheus, was for me, a very interesting sci-fi (more sci-fi than horror), and almost a story about human origin, space exploration, etc. Yes, it had lots of hints to Alien, but Scott really tried to distance it from the Alien franchise at first (I believe). I have heard reviews that say AC is too much Alien, and not enough Prometheus - I think those who are familiar with both, will know what I mean. You might also understand my hesitance.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
      I want to Alien Covenant, but an starting to second guess how much...... Alien is what it is - space horror basically. Prometheus, was for me, a very interesting sci-fi (more sci-fi than horror), and almost a story about human origin, space exploration, etc. Yes, it had lots of hints to Alien, but Scott really tried to distance it from the Alien franchise at first (I believe). I have heard reviews that say AC is too much Alien, and not enough Prometheus - I think those who are familiar with both, will know what I mean. You might also understand my hesitance.
      I haven't heard great things about it. Mostly that if you liked Promethus (or at least enjoyed it) that you will probably like this. That said I have also hear that Alien Covenant makes Promethus better. Personally I can't say much, Promethus was a "DVD" watch for me, and Alien Covenant will be the same.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
        I haven't heard great things about it. Mostly that if you liked Promethus (or at least enjoyed it) that you will probably like this. That said I have also hear that Alien Covenant makes Promethus better. Personally I can't say much, Promethus was a "DVD" watch for me, and Alien Covenant will be the same.
        I liked Promethus. Yep, I'm the one . So I'm going to see AC tomorrow afternoon. I've wasted $7 on dumber shit so no big loss if it's a bust for me.

Comment

I didn't dislike Prometheus, I just felt it was flawed. I plan on doing a prequel double feature when Covenant comes out on Blu and see how I feel at that point.

Comment

I didn't dislike it or like it. I was mostly just bored by it.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              I didn't dislike Prometheus, I just felt it was flawed. I plan on doing a prequel double feature when Covenant comes out on Blu and see how I feel at that point.
              That's what my kid was telling me. That I really needed to watch Prometheus again before going to see AC. That's the word he used also about Prometheus; flawed. It'll be an after the fact thing at this point though.

Comment

I didn't dislike it or like it. I was mostly just bored by it.
                I think this is why the general public/critics tend to shun the more philosophical sci-fi type movies. They do tend to be boring. See 2001 as a prefect example. Ex Machina is another example - really, it was quite boring, but was fantastic.

Comment

It looked pretty enough. Even an interesting core concept. That wasn't the problem, it was the utterly ridiculous characters and bad over-arcing story. I really wished Prometheus had been good, I did, but it just wasn't. Ex-Machina though, fantastic movie.

Comment

I haven't seen either of those films yet, however there is a general bias towards action Sci-fi. Three of my favorite sci-fi films are slower paced and have been overlooked for years. Blade Runner, I saw in theaters when it first came out and all I heard was "Boring". It was thoughtful, full of feeling. Gattaca, Holy Crap what a movie, so much to say. Dark City, classic. Then of course, you have rogue one....LOL! I actually enjoyed that one, especially since they killed everybody HAHAHA!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                      I haven't seen either of those films yet, however there is a general bias towards action Sci-fi. Three of my favorite sci-fi films are slower paced and have been overlooked for years. Blade Runner, I saw in theaters when it first came out and all I heard was "Boring". It was thoughtful, full of feeling. Gattaca, Holy Crap what a movie, so much to say. Dark City, classic. Then of course, you have rogue one....LOL! I actually enjoyed that one, especially since they killed everybody HAHAHA!
                      I really find this true for books as well. These types get the hype over the more hard/realistic sci-fi. I really have to watch Blade Runner - I don't know if I ever saw it or not, and with the Blade Runner 2049 movie coming..... I did recently read the book that Blade Runner is based off of though.

Comment

I really find this true for books as well. These types get the hype over the more hard/realistic sci-fi. I really have to watch Blade Runner - I don't know if I ever saw it or not, and with the Blade Runner 2049 movie coming..... I did recently read the book that Blade Runner is based off of though.
                        It's stunning. I think you'll see how it influenced many films that came afterwards.

Comment

I think this is why the general public/critics tend to shun the more philosophical sci-fi type movies. They do tend to be boring. See 2001 as a prefect example. Ex Machina is another example - really, it was quite boring, but was fantastic.
                          See I wouldn't put Prometheus in either of those camps. I like most philosophical sci-fi. Ex Machina is a perfect example, as that movie was fantastic. But while Prometheus had an interesting concept the execution of that concept was just kinda poor, which made for a boring film.

2001 on the other hand is probably just a strong case of a movie being before my time. I don't think it holds up as well with time as some of the other movies in the same category. It just doesn't work for me.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                            It's stunning. I think you'll see how it influenced many films that came afterwards.
                            That's not always a good thing. Movies that originate tropes tend to be less well recieved later down the line by someone who hasn't seen it before because they've seen all the tropes done over and over in other movies.

Blade Runner is an example of another movie that was before my time, but I actually like it, though not to the extent that a lot of people like Blade runner. My biggest problem with it is how many different version of the movie there are and which one is the real true version.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                              That's what my kid was telling me. That I really needed to watch Prometheus again before going to see AC. That's the word he used also about Prometheus; flawed. It'll be an after the fact thing at this point though.
                              Well, I went and saw Alien Covenant yesterday and I really enjoyed it LOL. Maybe I'm just easily entertained. The one common that seems to plaque these films is that as soon as the shit hits the fan, these supposedly highly trained people lose their minds. Except for the one strong female character that Scott seems to be a fan of. But I'm all for it. After all, it's usually the women in our lives who keeps the shit together.
                              Spoiler!

I think I rented Blade Runner back in the day on VHS. I think I also remember being bored with the film. My wife is a fan of it so I'll have to re-watch it as well before seeing 2049.

Comment

See I wouldn't put Prometheus in either of those camps. I like most philosophical sci-fi. Ex Machina is a perfect example, as that movie was fantastic. But while Prometheus had an interesting concept the execution of that concept was just kinda poor, which made for a boring film.

2001 on the other hand is probably just a strong case of a movie being before my time. I don't think it holds up as well with time as some of the other movies in the same category. It just doesn't work for me.
                                I actually think 2001 holds up remarkably well. As far as visuals go it trumps any other sci-fi until Blade Runner (or maybe, arguably, the first Star Trek movie). Philosophically and thematically I think it's quite unique and also stands up well.

Love Blade Runner, for about the same reason as I love 2001. Great story, visuals, and themes. I agree that it sucks a bit about all the different cuts, but what can you do. It's not a detriment to the film itself I think.

I also am a big Dark City fan. A great combination of neo-noir and sci-fi. Well cast and executed too. Some of the effects don't quite stand up, but c'est la vie. Also interesting how many films kind of had the same concept at the time, 13th Floor, The Truman Show and of course The Matrix. All were subtle spins on Plato's Cave or Descarte's Brain in a Jar. All of which were pretty good.

Gattaca was a solid flick too, very poignant as well and stands up well.
                                Last edited by Theli; 06-01-2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X