Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I would definitely encourage people to check it out. It’s not a bad movie by any means—I did give it a B—but it just left me a little hollow at the end. It was also very reminiscent of Pan’s Labyrinth, which is my favorite movie of his. While The Shape of Water showcases Del Toro’s direction as a master, Labyrinth just had so much more of an emotional punch. I’d like to hear your thoughts after you see the film.
    Not sure when I will get around to seeing it but I will try to remember to post my views when I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
      I'm just gonna copy and paste something I posted elsewhere for this.

Just got out of Blade Runner 2049. I really couldn't say if it was good or not. It was very Blade Runner. It was stunning looking. It was certainly art. I think if you're into Blade Runner you will probably like it, maybe love it. If, like me, you are in-different towards Blade Runner, you probably won't know what to think about it.
      I finally got around to watching BR 2049, after re-watching the original. This time BR really clicked with me and it was absolutely beautiful in UHD. Then on to BR 2049 and it was a bit meh for me. Visually it was very beautiful but when it ended, it had that 'huh' feeling. Maybe I need to watch it again.

Went to Winchester last night with my buddy. This thing got some horrible reviews but when it was over I don't understand why. It's a decent ghost story. Maybe my expectations were so completely low dog food would have seemed entertaining. Maybe people get bored when there aren't explosions every two minutes or someone getting decapitated. It's probably not something I'd buy for my collection but if someone wanted to watch it I wouldn't mind it.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
        I finally got around to watching BR 2049, after re-watching the original. This time BR really clicked with me and it was absolutely beautiful in UHD. Then on to BR 2049 and it was a bit meh for me. Visually it was very beautiful but when it ended, it had that 'huh' feeling. Maybe I need to watch it again.
        I just sat down to watch this yesterday. I really liked Blade Runner 2049 and felt that it felt true to the original while not being hampered by it. Granted, I haven't watched the original since I saw The Final Cut five, six years back. 2049 doesn't feel as cutting edge since we've seen the Blade Runner aesthetic down to death since the original, but I thought this movie had more heart compared to the original which always felt rather detached emotionally. Overall, I'd give 2049 an A-, keeping Denis Villenueve's streak alive for me.
        Last edited by Sock Monkey; 02-14-2018, 09:33 PM.

Comment

The Cloverfield Paradox: After hearing the rather dismal reviews the newest installment in the Cloverfield series has received, my expectations were pretty low. In fact, I was pretty much expecting to see a train wreck of a film when I sat down this morning. The film is pretty flawed, but it isn't the unmitigated disaster that most reviews make it out to be. It's merely a mediocre film that REALLY needed another draft to eliminate some of the plain stupid plot holes and work on a little more character development. One of the film's biggest flaws is that it gives you the reason for the mystery from the get-go, eliminating any suspense because the viewer already knows what's going on, leaving the cast of characters to play catch-up. The actors do the best the can with what they got and some of the set pieces are kinda fun, but it all feels rather inconsequential and uninspired. Grade: D+

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
            I just sat down to watch this yesterday. I really liked Blade Runner 2049 and felt that it felt true to the original while not being hampered by it. Granted, I have watched the original since I saw The Final Cut five, six years back. 2049 doesn't feel as cutting edge since we've seen the Blade Runner aesthetic down to death since the original, but I thought this movie had more heart compared to the original which always felt rather detached emotionally. Overall, I'd give 2049 an A-, keeping Denis Villenueve's streak alive for me.
            I think I just need to watch it again, wouldn't be the first time for me that a movie was better the second time.

Comment

I think I just need to watch it again, wouldn't be the first time for me that a movie was better the second time.
              2049 is one of those movies that I think you either love or you're just "meh" on. I don't think I've seen anyone who hates it. For me it took me awhile to process my feelings on the movie. At the end of the day I think I fell on the "love" side of the line. Which is kinda surprising, because I don't particularly care one way or the other about the original. Mostly though it was just beautiful to look at and I honestly didn't see the twist coming.
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

2049 is one of those movies that I think you either love or you're just "meh" on. I don't think I've seen anyone who hates it. For me it took me awhile to process my feelings on the movie. At the end of the day I think I fell on the "love" side of the line. Which is kinda surprising, because I don't particularly care one way or the other about the original. Mostly though it was just beautiful to look at and I honestly didn't see the twist coming.
                I can see that. I was on the “love” side as well, but the more I reflect on it, the more I can see it just not being somebody’s jam. I definitely see myself revisiting it in the future. Gosling’s performance was wonderfully understated.

Comment

Annihilation, ummmm, wow. This movie is not what I was expecting from the ads. I didn't even really want to go but my buddy suggested it and I'm glad he did. Looking forward to watching again.

Comment

Annihilation, ummmm, wow. This movie is not what I was expecting from the ads. I didn't even really want to go but my buddy suggested it and I'm glad he did. Looking forward to watching again.
                    I keep seeing this a lot. What impresion did you get from the trailers / ads? I haven't seen the movie yet, but the way everyone is describing it, it's pretty much what I pictured from that first trailer.

Instagram

Comment

I keep seeing this a lot. What impresion did you get from the trailers / ads? I haven't seen the movie yet, but the way everyone is describing it, it's pretty much what I pictured from that first trailer.
                      I thought there would be more action but the action is rather minimal. When it was over, I felt it had a feel similar to Arrival, with more tenseness in it. There's a couple scenes that were pretty creepy.

Comment

I thought there would be more action but the action is rather minimal. When it was over, I felt it had a feel similar to Arrival, with more tenseness in it. There's a couple scenes that were pretty creepy.
                        Hmm interesting. Like I said I only saw the first trailer, so maybe the other trailers / tv spots where what made people think it was an action / sci-fi movie. Then again I think Paramount did a terrible job of marketing the movie. Basically very few people even seemed to know it existed (as evidenced by the box office).

Instagram

Comment

Hmm interesting. Like I said I only saw the first trailer, so maybe the other trailers / tv spots where what made people think it was an action / sci-fi movie. Then again I think Paramount did a terrible job of marketing the movie. Basically very few people even seemed to know it existed (as evidenced by the box office).
                          I fall in that category. I discovered it based on looking at the weekend box office take and having a movie in third place that I had not heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            I fall in that category. I discovered it based on looking at the weekend box office take and having a movie in third place that I had not heard of.
                            I think I saw two trailers and read one weekend earnings article about it before seeing the movie. The article stated the the advertising wasn't a good portrayal of what the movie actually is, which gave me a better idea what to expect though it still didn't prepare me for what it is. I see that it's not for everyone. I've tried to think of the people that I would recommend it to and there aren't many I know who would appreciate it because of a couple scenes that would be way too much for them. I have friends that freak out during scary movie trailers (Winchester for example) and this isn't something I'd even bring in conversation with them. While others I know who wouldn't be able to stay awake because it does move fairly slowly. I think you guys would like it. This really isn't a spoiler but in case you're afraid of any spoiler stop reading now......there's a scene with a bear that is jacked up and awesome. I was like, what the crap!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                              ....and the CD announcement is how I found out that the movie is based on a book. I guess I missed that in the credits.

Comment

I'm positive I'll like it. Just need to find the time to actually go and see it. Maybe this weekend. I've heard it compared to Arrival, which I really loved, so I'm all about that.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X