• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
    And.....
    Spoiler!
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Tommy; 05-09-2018, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
      Spoiler!
      Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
        Spoiler!
        Spoiler!
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Ouija: I'm a big Mike Flanagan fan so when he did the sequel to Ouija, I knew I had to check it out though I had no interest in it's predecessor. Of course, the marketing the department for these movies did a great job packaging the two movies together for a great price so I wound up with both. As a completist, I can't have a movie on my shelf that I haven't watched so I plopped down and gave the ol' original Ouija a whirl. There's a reason this movie has 6% on Rotten Tomatoes. The movie has little to no internal logic, character development is nil and cuts are made that make little sense. It's just a movie that doesn't work. I will say there were two jump scares that save this from being a total dud, but overall I'd suggest avoiding this one (though the prequel is actually GOOD). Grade: D

Nocturnal Animals: Another movie that's been sitting in the pile awaiting its turn. I had little hope for this movie after the opening sequence left me feeling I was in for a rather pretentious film. I was surprised by what followed which was alternately a tense thriller by way of the story within the story and a melancholy reflection on past loves and mistakes. One expecting great answers or revelations at the end will be disappointed, but those who go for the ride will find more than enough to chew on. Also, Michael Shannon. The world needs more Michael Shannon. Grade: B+

The Sentinel: I've heard this 70s horror flick gushed about and dismissed in equal amounts and after watching Scream Factory's blu I can see both sides of the equation. The story of a beautiful model that moves into an old building only to find herself tormented by her neighbors pays more than the passing resemblance to two of Polanski's films, Rosemary's Baby and The Tenant, both which work better overall. Though if you can get past the initial set up, there is some rather interesting twists on the subgenre and some rather disturbing sequences and by the end couldn't help but think of it as a minor gem. It doesn't always work and does occasionally fall into some weird melodrama, but if 70s horror is your bag then check it out. Grade: B-

And one TV show: I just finished watching season one of Dark on Netflix and I absolutely loved this show. It revolves around four families in a small German town that lives begin to unravel upon the disappearance of one of the children opening up a mystery that has remained hidden for generations. It is a slow burn, but by the end of the season it is one maelstrom of twists and turns. Thoroughly enjoyable and can't wait for season two. Grade: A

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
            Spoiler!
            I really like that idea about Hela. She was gone too quick for me.

Comment

Isle of Dogs is my new favorite Wes Anderson film, loved it! (4/4)

Comment

Wes Anderson runs hot and cold for me, but this looked great. I'm going to have to check it out.

Comment

FINALLY was able to check out A Quiet Place and I absolutely loved it. Yes, I found some parts to be rather predictable, but it was a tense ride throughout with some great jump scares and a whole lot of heart. It was a simple story told extremely well and I'm glad that it found both the critical and commercial success that it deserves. Of course that didn't stop The New Yorker from going way off the rails in their review. Talk about trying to stir up controversy where there isn't any.

Comment

I enjoyed it, too. Great movie.

Comment

If anybody is wavering on whether or not the new Criterion bluray of Romero's Night of the Living Dead is worth the high price tag, I am here to say that it absolutely is. This will probably go down as the release of the year. Honestly, you probably don't even realize how bad the version was that you've seen until you see how this remastered edition looks. On top of the beautiful picture, the new sound is great as well. There probably isn't any need to go into the movie itself, but, in short, it still holds up. Such a great movie with in a version that it deserves. Grade: A+

I also checked out Game Night. I'm not much of a comedy fan as it tends to skew towards the lowest common denominator, but I had really good time with one. I'm a fan of most of the cast--Rachel McAdams has always been a personal favorite, Kyle Chandler is always great (Friday Night Lights is still a perennial favorite in my house), and Jesse Plemons is so much fun--so that might have biased my opinion a bit. It isn't incredibly smart, but it is fun. Grade: B+

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                        If anybody is wavering on whether or not the new Criterion bluray of Romero's Night of the Living Dead is worth the high price tag, I am here to say that it absolutely is. This will probably go down as the release of the year. Honestly, you probably don't even realize how bad the version was that you've seen until you see how this remastered edition looks. On top of the beautiful picture, the new sound is great as well. There probably isn't any need to go into the movie itself, but, in short, it still holds up. Such a great movie with in a version that it deserves. Grade: A+
                        I agree. And it's interesting how good it looks but new movie releases sometimes look really crappy.

Comment

Has anyone been to Hereditary yet? Looks as though it's very polarizing and the reviews are wildly mixed. I've been thinking about going after work today and am curious if anyone here has been yet and would share their thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
                            Has anyone been to Hereditary yet? Looks as though it's very polarizing and the reviews are wildly mixed. I've been thinking about going after work today and am curious if anyone here has been yet and would share their thoughts.
                            Not yet, but headed to a showing in a few hours.

It’s an A24 distributed horror movie so a polarized audience is to be expected given their history. I figure something along the lines of The Witch that they also distributed: more independent minded, less like the more mainstream Blumhouse fare.
                            Last edited by Sock Monkey; 06-11-2018, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I did see Hereditary today and my previous post still holds up. This movie won't be a crowd-pleaser for those looking for a Blumhouse-style Conjuring-esque roller coaster ride. This is a slow burn of movie with a deep spiral down into darkness. My suggestion is to avoid spoilers and try to go in blind. Not all will like this movie, but those that meet the movie on its terms will be well rewarded. Grade: A

I would love to hear anybody else's thoughts on the movie.

Comment

I just returned from it too and agree with you, though I did go in knowing quite a bit about it but I’m one that actually likes spoilers for some strange reason. It was pretty much as you describe and Toni Collette was great as always. I need to rewatch The Witch, I haven’t seen it since the theater run.

Comment

Working...
                                X