No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We'll see Siep. 3D is asking a lot of me. The problem is that the human eye has two focal points: the one the eyes focus on and the point where the left and right eyes' lines of sight converge. Usually, they are the same; but, 3D asks your brain to bifurcate the points: converge at the center, but focus on either the fore or background. Never in 600,000 years of human evolution have such demands been put on the human brain. That's not the way it's designed. Hence the headaches. Maybe in 10,000 years, the human brain will have evolved to accomadate this, but now now. Not everybody gets headaches (I notch that up to short attention spans--ADD people have an advantage here, I guess.)

And a murky screen is inherent in the 3D process. The frame rate has to be lowered to accomdate the images and the darkening of the image is part of the process of 3D. It can't be helped.

If I see it, in 3D, it'll be a second viewing.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Anonymous: A movie I was really excited about. Roland Emmerich, one oh Hollywood's masters of the looney-brained big-budget action film, was going to tackle one of histories most looney-brained conspiracy theories: that the works of Shakespeare were actually written by either CHristopher Marlowe, Sir Francis Bacon, the 6th Earl of Derby, or (as this film argues) the 17th Earl of Oxford. The stage was set for satire on the grandest of scales--Hollywood's always at it's best when it cheerfully ignores facts. (For the record, I think Shakespeare wrote all of his works, though his stories were not original.)

Alas, I set myself up for disappointment. Emmerich is not interested in satire here--he went for a film that begs the audience to take it seriously. The result is a tedious, plodding film. Aside from some nice period flavor, nothing in the film really works. The cast is strong and capable, but can't elevate the film much. Best of all is Rafe Spall as Mr. Shakespeare--the boozy, womanizing, illerate and clueless actor who cheerfully goes along with the deception. Even the court intrigues of Eliabethean England fail to add spark to this morose tale. What's needed is some of the OHCOMONAREYOUSERIOUS!?!? fun that Emmerich imbued Independence Day and 2012 with.

2/5--maybe a rental on a night after rearranging your sock drawer.
      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
        And a murky screen is inherent in the 3D process. The frame rate has to be lowered to accomdate the images and the darkening of the image is part of the process of 3D. It can't be helped.
        I know. But there's murky and then there's Imax! I saw (for instance) both Avatar and Tintin on an Imax screen. Nothing murky about either presentation.
        And you do know how PJ is shooting The Hobbit, don't you??!!

sk

Comment

Yes...in 3D...maybe Weta can find away to overcome the problems I have with 3D...
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

It sounds like PJ might be onto something. We'll have to see...
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Yes...in 3D...
              That's not what I meant..well, partly I guess.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/peter...50222861171558

sk

Comment

I saw that and it gives me hope that Weta can figure out a way around my problems with 3D. Thanks for the update, Siep!
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I'm not going to rate this movie however I found it quite enjoyable...Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. This was a tale of two lovable hillbillies mixed up with a group of college kids in the hills of West Virginia. Kind of funny and kind of gory. I will say I did watch this at midnight last night after I had consumed numerous adult beverages...
                  Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I can't wait to see that one! It's coming out on DVD/BD on Nov. 30, so It probably won't come to theaters in KC.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I can't wait to see that one! It's coming out on DVD/BD on Nov. 30, so It probably won't come to theaters in KC.
                      I hadn't heard of it before. I just kind of stumbled across it on PPV and thought it looked interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
                        I'm not going to rate this movie however I found it quite enjoyable...Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. This was a tale of two lovable hillbillies mixed up with a group of college kids in the hills of West Virginia. Kind of funny and kind of gory. I will say I did watch this at midnight last night after I had consumed numerous adult beverages...
                        Thanks! I forgot that I wanted to see this one. Beverages included of course!

Comment

I'm not used to movies-on-demand yet, so MOD is usually the last palace I look for a movie not coming to the theater; but, Cope reminded me what a dunderhead I can be, so here goes:

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil: It's always fun to watch a movie that dispatches cliches as quickly as it does stupid college students. And if it has gory gratutitous violence, so much the better. Add some really fine comedic actors (Tyler Labine and Alan Tyduk) and you've got a can't miss movie. Adult beverages only add to the fun! This isn't a great movie, but it's a howl if this is your thing. Funny, sharply written, and competently directed, it starts out like a standard horror film and then proceeds to kick every horror movie convention in the balls, smiling all the while.

Tyduk has one of the best lines in the movie when he croaks: "This vacation sucks..."

But the movie doesn't.

4/5
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I'm not used to movies-on-demand yet, so MOD is usually the last palace I look for a movie not coming to the theater; but, Cope reminded me what a dunderhead I can be, so here goes:

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil: It's always fun to watch a movie that dispatches cliches as quickly as it does stupid college students. And if it has gory gratutitous violence, so much the better. Add some really fine comedic actors (Tyler Labine and Alan Tyduk) and you've got a can't miss movie. Adult beverages only add to the fun! This isn't a great movie, but it's a howl if this is your thing. Funny, sharply written, and competently directed, it starts out like a standard horror film and then proceeds to kick every horror movie convention in the balls, smiling all the while.

Tyduk has one of the best lines in the movie when he croaks: "This vacation sucks..."

But the movie doesn't.

4/5
                            I'm glad you liked it. BTW the female lead in this was phenomenal

Comment

That's true, Katrina Bowden made quite the sweet damsel in distress. Not much was required of her for the movie, but she filled the role nicely.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

That's true, Katrina Bowden made quite the sweet damsel in distress. Not much was required of her for the movie, but she filled the role nicely.
                                BTW. Love the new signature.

Comment

Working...
                                X