No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Escape Plan also with Schwarzenegger? Haven't seen this one, but I believe I remember when it was being promoted. I haven't watched movies like that lately, but I did sort of want to get around to that someday. I've never seen Expendables either, but keep meaning to. Then again, judging by what you say, maybe I should just avoid all these action films that have a direct-to-video feel.

I finished watching that film I mentioned before, Dead of Night. Turned out pretty well. The grand finale story with the ventriloquist dummy was creepy, even for a film from so long ago. Also had a Magic feeling to it.

The other day I caught Scorsese's The King of Comedy. Enjoyed it a lot, even if the Rupert Pupkin (which I at first thought was Pumpkin, which perhaps was the idea) character could have been played a little differently, in my opinion (the name itself almost made the movie, and maybe should have been the title!). Seems the Joker film from a few years ago was influenced by it. For those who have seen it, I am still thinking over the ending...

Comment

I didn't make it to the point where Arnold shows up. However according to IMDB he is in the movie.

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
      Is Escape Plan also with Schwarzenegger? Haven't seen this one, but I believe I remember when it was being promoted.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I recently watched The Final Wish. Nothing spectacular about it, but I do really enjoy these simple, formulaic horror films that are shot decently and present not necessarily the most original story/plot (although this one had a neat riff on the whole genie/wish thing, at least in the way I thought about it) but one that is nevertheless entertaining. I believe this was from either someone or some team responsible for Final Destination.

Also rewatched Midnight in Paris, by Woody Allen. Really enjoyed that one. One of the funniest scenes was when the Owen Wilson character tells the director of The Exterminating Angel that he should consider an idea for a movie that centers on a dinner party where no one can leave the room; the director asks why wouldn't they just leave, if I recall. Never actually saw the referenced movie, but will try to at some point. I think there was another Allen film that referenced this, might have been Anything Else.

I also rewatched this week one of my favorite movies of recent times, Limitless. That is a master class in high-octane, intelligent screenwriting. It is packed with smart, plot-propelling ideas I would never think of as solutions for segueing to the next sequence. It's a terrific Friday-night film (too bad I watched it earlier in the week!). It's also a case where the movie is far better than the book...I almost imagine the author must have been heartbroken when he saw it, thinking how they took his blueprint and polished it into such a gem. I've read the book too (after the fact of the film) and enjoyed it, especially the certain sequences that had this technical poetry of what was going on during the mind-altering affects afforded by the drug, but the choices on the pages were simply put not as exciting as the choices on the silver screen (and now in its post-theatrical life, on the digital screen). That's okay, though, because as soon as I locate my copy of the tome (don't you hate it when you have a lot of stuff in containers down in the basement, and it's a pain to go through them, especially when you haven't cataloged anything properly), I want to give it another read (or at least, sections of it another read). Cooper really did well in the movie, which reminds me I am currently making my way through Nightmare Alley. Not my type of film, honestly, and I am not a big fan of the director, but I am still watching and getting something out of it, especially (some of) the atmosphere and Dafoe's supporting thespianism (would Dafoe be a poor man's Jeff Goldblum or a Goldblum's Goldblum?).

Comment

Death on the Nile. 3.75 out of 5 stars. This was a standard murder mystery that was visually striking, well acted, and had some characters I greatly enjoyed. The few issues I had were related to elements of the film which pushed it outside of the period piece this was meant to be. These were mild indulgences by the director/writer/whoever meant to pander to today's societal views.

I would imagine that this is a film that would be most enjoyed in the theater. It has that movie theater feel.

Spoiler!
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I've been frantically watching everything that I can on our streaming channels before we have to ditch them all and cancel our cable at the end of the month. I watched an excellent documentary about Folk-Horror on Shudder called WOODLANDS DARK AND DAYS BEWITCHED, which I highly recommend, another documentary about the films and life of Al Adamson called BLOOD AND FLESH, which was both hilariously funny and terribly disturbing, also highly recommended. I have never seen an Al Adamson film, and this documentary didn't make me want to change that, but, wow...what a life, and what a death.

Last night my wife and I watched THE KING'S MAN, which I was really looking forward to, but it just didn't connect with me. My wife, oddly enough, loved it.
            http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I started watching King's Man and then stopped...just didn't catch me.

I plan on watching Death on the Nile this weekend or next. It has hit HBO.

My latest film watched is the latest Scream. Always enjoyed that series and felt it represented a seminal turning point in horror films aimed at the mainstream (and I would include myself in the latter). After the original, it seemed like filmmaking in general got better, especially in terms of the way the camera moves. I enjoyed this 2022 version; the original cast members weren't in it that much, and I'd suspect that has to do with budgetary considerations. Nothing complex, just a fun film...
              Last edited by JJ123; 04-01-2022, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Went to the theater last night and saw "X". Totally loved it. By far my favorite Ti West movie. The first half does build slowly; however, the payoff in the 2nd half is more than worth it. That slow first half is also very intentional in my opinion as it thoroughly builds the characters and creates a very creepy and dreadful atmosphere for when everything finally does go batshit crazy. Also, there was a bunch of humor in this one. Normally, I'm not a big fan of that; however, this time around, it seemed to land perfectly and felt very realistic to the situations the characters were facing. Overall, if you enjoy horror movies, you have to see this one!

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
                  I started watching King's Man and then stopped...just didn't catch me.

I plan on watching Death on the Nile this weekend or next. It has hit HBO.

My latest film watched is the latest Scream. Always enjoyed that series and felt it represented a seminal turning point in horror films aimed at the mainstream (and I would include myself in the latter). After the original, it seemed like filmmaking in general got better, especially in terms of the way the camera moves. I enjoyed this 2022 version; the original cast members weren't in it that much, and I'd suspect that has to do with budgetary considerations. Nothing complex, just a fun film...
                  My wife and I recently re-watched the first three films. She had only seen the original and none of the sequels. The original still holds up and I liked Scream 2 quite a bit. The third one, though...man, I didn't like it that much since I saw it in the theater, and I just can't get into now. It has some great moments but it struggles to keep itself on the the rails. We still need to watch Scream 4 (which I remember liking, though it wasn't groundbreaking as the advertising suggested: "New Decade. New Rules." Yeah, not so much) and will probably do a part 4 and 5 double-feature.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                    Went to the theater last night and saw "X". Totally loved it. By far my favorite Ti West movie. The first half does build slowly; however, the payoff in the 2nd half is more than worth it. That slow first half is also very intentional in my opinion as it thoroughly builds the characters and creates a very creepy and dreadful atmosphere for when everything finally does go batshit crazy. Also, there was a bunch of humor in this one. Normally, I'm not a big fan of that; however, this time around, it seemed to land perfectly and felt very realistic to the situations the characters were facing. Overall, if you enjoy horror movies, you have to see this one!
                    I can't wait to see this. I'm a big fan of Ti West. House of the Devil is a classic. My wife and I recently re-watched The Innkeepers and I think I liked it better the second time around. I also like The Sacrament for what it was, but wasn't necessary blown away by it. In The Valley Of Violence...I just don't know what that movie was supposed to be. It didn't quite work for me, though I might need to revisit it. This new film has been getting a lot of buzz and I'm hoping we'll continue to see West dig into the horror genre.

Comment

Recently re-watched The Ritual. I remember liking it a lot, but this time it really knocked me back in my seat. It pares down the novel--which I thought was kind of a slog--and makes it a lean and mean horror movie. The horror starts fairly early in the runtime and never lets up, but it all feels so well-paced and brooding. Just a great movie.

Also, re-watched Christopher Nolan's Memento. I've seen this movie probably close to a dozen times, but every time I walk away with how well-crafted it is. At it's heart, it's a very simple narrative and could be viewed as nothing more than a gimmick, but that "gimmick" of a film that plays each scene in reverse-chronological order is so important to the disorienting narrative of the film. Just a masterpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                        I've been frantically watching everything that I can on our streaming channels before we have to ditch them all and cancel our cable at the end of the month. I watched an excellent documentary about Folk-Horror on Shudder called WOODLANDS DARK AND DAYS BEWITCHED, which I highly recommend, another documentary about the films and life of Al Adamson called BLOOD AND FLESH, which was both hilariously funny and terribly disturbing, also highly recommended. I have never seen an Al Adamson film, and this documentary didn't make me want to change that, but, wow...what a life, and what a death.

Last night my wife and I watched THE KING'S MAN, which I was really looking forward to, but it just didn't connect with me. My wife, oddly enough, loved it.
                        I just saw this post and wanted to chime in on the Al Adamson documentary. I also watched this a little bit ago and thought it was really interesting. It's an interesting look at not only the life and tragedies of Mr. Adamson, but it also an fascinating look at low-budget regional filmmaking.

I've been chomping at the bit to watch WOODLANDS DARK AND DAYS BEWITCHED as I've only heard good things about this exhaustive look into cinematic folk horror. Severin put this documentary out in a box set of 19 (!) other folk horror movies called ALL THE HAUNTS BE OURS, which I desperately want to pick up, but it is rather pricey at around $179.

Comment

I used my anniversary time off from work and we caught The Batman on Wednesday.

Tangent - I used to belong to Cinemark's Movie Club - $10 a month, "free" ticket and canceled because we aren't going to the movies like we used to (pandemic for one, lack of content for another) so I had 13 credits available to me. Hated the fact I was still charged on-line fees to "buy" a ticket with my credits. Total scam IMHO.

Anyways, we saw The Batman.

I've always been a Marvel fan - even when I started reading comics in 1985/1986, Marvel was where I was at (Make Mine Marvel!) and have enjoyed the Marvel movies much more than the DC ones.

Still trying to figure out my thoughts on this. I"m not sure it needed to be three hours long, but I did enjoy the focus more on Batman being a detective (hello Detective Comics!) My wife said it felt like a long TV show but maybe that's because TV shows have gotten better the last 10 years or so.

Comment

My wife and I took our son to see THE BATMAN on opening day. We used to go to the movies every week pre-pandemic. We've been to the theater 4 times since Covid hit.

I did not like this film at all. I thought Pattinson was a whiny dud, The Riddler was a generic serial killer, the cameo at the end should have been exciting, but just fizzled. I have no desire to see any more from this Director and cast. Also, it did not need to be as long as Lawrence of Arabia, lol.

As much as I love going to the movies, between the ticket price, gas prices, and the way that people act like assholes during movies (We had a TERRIBLE experience during The Batman, which I am better off not getting into here...), I think I'll do the majority of my movie-watching at home from now on. We're planning on seeing Dr. Strange and Thor this year, but the assholes have won. I'm beat. They can have the theaters. Which makes me very sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I just saw this post and wanted to chime in on the Al Adamson documentary. I also watched this a little bit ago and thought it was really interesting. It's an interesting look at not only the life and tragedies of Mr. Adamson, but it also an fascinating look at low-budget regional filmmaking.

I've been chomping at the bit to watch WOODLANDS DARK AND DAYS BEWITCHED as I've only heard good things about this exhaustive look into cinematic folk horror. Severin put this documentary out in a box set of 19 (!) other folk horror movies called ALL THE HAUNTS BE OURS, which I desperately want to pick up, but it is rather pricey at around $179.
                              I REALLY wanted that box set, but after my wife lost her job, that went right out the window, lol. They actually have a lot of the box's content on Shudder, which eased the pain of missing out a little.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

I REALLY wanted that box set, but after my wife lost her job, that went right out the window, lol. They actually have a lot of the box's content on Shudder, which eased the pain of missing out a little.
                                Sorry to hear about your wife losing her job. Hopefully, she finds another one with ease.

i noticed the additions to Shudder as well. That’s part of the reason I’ve held off on getting the set, as well. The completist in me wants all the extras and the shorts and whatnot. Frankly, though, I’ve been so busy that it would just sit in the pile with about forty other movies.

Comment

Working...
                                X