Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I agree. The laughs weren't there at all for me so I was hoping for something scarier. Nope.

    Like you said it was lacking on both fronts.

    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Saw Cocaine Bear the other night.

    It was neither as funny or as gory as I was lead to believe.

    Both would have helped.

    2 / 5
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

    Comment


      Very good point about the definition of a cult film. I suppose there are times when a film can be both of the cult variety and self-conscious, but I would agree, the vast majority of the time those two states cannot coexist.

      Someone mentioned the second and third Omen films. I enjoyed both and find some of the deaths in them truly terrifying. I also like that scene in the classroom where Damien gets his teacher in a loop of question/answer.

      I just watched Journey to the Seventh Planet. That used to come on my local Creature Double Feature show on Saturday afternoons. At least, pretty sure it did, not sure if that was on the nighttime version which was only one movie called Creature Feature

      I can't recall literally sitting through it as a kid all the way through, but perhaps I did because I remembered that some of the spider footage from The Spider (or Earth vs. The Spider)  would be coming up, and I remember thinking how odd it was that was in it. I also could have sworn that some footage from The Angry Red Planet was in it too, specifically the blob sequence, but I guess it wasn't (Red Planet always scared me as a kid, and even now to some extent...that blob-thing trapping that astronaut...yikes!).

      I enjoyed Seventh Planet, it was on Comet TV. I had recorded it from a few days ago. I read up on the movie, and apparently it isn't highly-rated. I get that, but I don't know, this seemed sort-of clever in its presentation of ideas, and heck, it was playing in the same sandbox as Ray Bradbury (some other work I was unfamiliar with, I think called Solaris, was also mentioned as a possible influence). I don't think you can lump this in with typical low-budget B stuff from that time. I loved the nostalgic look of the film (well, nostalgic today, back then, probably not so much), especially the graphics of space...made me think of those great science-fiction paperback covers, you know the ones I mean, I'm sure. But for those who may pass on this one, I would totally understand.
      Last edited by JJ123; 04-06-2023, 07:13 AM. Reason: Editing reason: trying to eliminate some weird letters showing up for some reason, but I can't get rid of them all...sorry...

      Comment


        Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
        Very good point about the definition of a cult film. I suppose there are times when a film can be both of the cult variety and self-conscious, but I would agree, the vast majority of the time those two states cannot coexist.

        Someone mentioned the second and third Omen films. I enjoyed both and find some of the deaths in them truly terrifying. I also like that scene in the classroom where Damien gets his teacher in a loop of question/answer.

        I just watched Journey to the Seventh Planet. That used to come on my local Creature Double Feature show on Saturday afternoons. At least, pretty sure it did, not sure if that was on the nighttime version which was only one movie called Creature Feature.

        I can't recall literally sitting through it as a kid all the way through, but perhaps I did because I remembered that some of the spider footage from The Spider (or Earth vs. The Spider) would be coming up, and I remember thinking how odd it was that was in it. I also could have sworn that some footage from The Angry Red Planet was in it too, specifically the blob sequence, but I guess it wasn't (Red Planet always scared me as a kid, and even now to some extent...that blob-thing trapping that astronaut...yikes!).

        I enjoyed Seventh Planet, it was on Comet TV. I had recorded it from a few days ago. I read up on the movie, and apparently it isn't highly-rated. I get that, but I don't know, this seemed sort-of clever in its presentation of ideas, and heck, it was playing in the same sandbox as Ray Bradbury (some other work I was unfamiliar with, I think called Solaris, was also mentioned as a possible influence). I don't think you can lump this in with typical low-budget B stuff from that time. I loved the nostalgic look of the film (well, nostalgic today, back then, probably not so much), especially the graphics of space...made me think of those great science-fiction paperback covers, you know the ones I mean, I'm sure. But for those who may pass on this one, I would totally understand.
        Huh. I've never heard of Journey to the Seventh Planet. I'll keep an eye out for it. Sometimes these low budget films really hit the spot even if they aren't objectively great films.

        Comment


          Saw 65 the other night, the Adam Driver dinosaur / sci-fi pic.

          It was OK. 90 minutes of mindless entertainment that I won’t remember having seen in a month.

          3 / 5

          B

          Comment


            I'm trying to work but have become engrossed in this movie called Mandy. It is very trippy and I have no idea what is going on but it sure is distracting in a good way. Can't rate this one now and may not be able to rate this later. LOL!
            Looking for the fonting of youth.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
              I'm trying to work but have become engrossed in this movie called Mandy. It is very trippy and I have no idea what is going on but it sure is distracting in a good way. Can't rate this one now and may not be able to rate this later. LOL!

              Oh, God...I hated that movie. Glad you're enjoying it more than I did, lol.
              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

              Comment


                Mandy is divisive, for sure. It wasn't for me, but I can see why people would like it. Just not my bag.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                  Mandy is divisive, for sure. It wasn't for me, but I can see why people would like it. Just not my bag.
                  I loved it at first, but then it just went on, and on, and on.......They could have trimmed an hour off of it and not lost anything.
                  http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

                  Comment


                    I can agree with that. It would have been better trimmed way done. I liked the weirdness of thing.

                    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

                    I loved it at first, but then it just went on, and on, and on.......They could have trimmed an hour off of it and not lost anything.
                    Looking for the fonting of youth.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X