No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Carrion Comfort" by Dan Simmons. First Simmons for me. I picked it up from the library because Stephen King called it one of the three greatest horror novels of the twentieth century.
    http://www.facebook.com/michaelmcintyre333
    http://twitter.com/#!/mikemcintyre3
    http://luminescentyou.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
      The Long Walk is the most disturbing book I have ever read. Sticks with me to this day. Maybe it only resonated that way with me-but I can't forget it!
      No, it is not just you, it sticks with me too. It is my favorite short story of all time.
      "I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later."- Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by MrRoland View Post
        "Carrion Comfort" by Dan Simmons. First Simmons for me. I picked it up from the library because Stephen King called it one of the three greatest horror novels of the twentieth century.
        And it was, wasn't it!

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
          And it was, wasn't it!

sk
          I haven't read this one. I checked out my county library system and of course they do not have it. I'm guessing based on your comment this book is purchase worthy...right?
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
            I haven't read this one. I checked out my county library system and of course they do not have it. I'm guessing based on your comment this book is purchase worthy...right?
            I would say yes!

Greg

Comment

I'm reading The Wave by Susan Casey, a nonfiction book about the increasing occurence of giant waves in the ocean. She's alternating chapters between the scientists studying these waves, and Laird Hamilton and some other surfers who seek them out to ride. It's fascinating, and in some place it's absolutely terrifying.

Blu
              Visit my horror/crime fiction blog October Country.
              Stalk me on Twitter: @BluGilliand.

Comment

Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin!!!! YYYYYYYAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
                  The Long Walk is the most disturbing book I have ever read. Sticks with me to this day. Maybe it only resonated that way with me-but I can't forget it!
                  I'm just about to finish that on Audiobook. Good narration. It's been a long time since I've read it, but it was always my favorite of the Bachman books. And yes, you're right about it being disturbing. Some days it seems that reality is only 2 steps away from this or The Running Man.
                  "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                    And it was, wasn't it!

sk
                    It's really good, so far. I'm about 200 pages in. Another bonus for me is that one of the settings is Charleston, SC, which is my hometown. Kind of a blessing and a curse because I find myself getting distracted by the locations and directions at times.
                    http://www.facebook.com/michaelmcintyre333
                    http://twitter.com/#!/mikemcintyre3
                    http://luminescentyou.blogspot.com/

Comment

Finished 'The Long Walk' earlier and i really liked the book, but i also wanted more, what happened to the main character at the end arghhhh. Also 'Rage' was good, but not as good as 'The Long Walk'. I hope the other 2 Bachman Books are as good!

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
                        I hope the other 2 Bachman Books are as good!
                        I think you read the best of the four.
                        Roadwork I barely remember, same for The Running Man.
                        You should have read them in a different order, Tom.

sk
                        Last edited by frik51; 07-14-2011, 12:52 AM.

Comment

That's the order they are in the Bachman Books

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
                            Finished 'The Long Walk' earlier and i really liked the book, but i also wanted more, what happened to the main character at the end arghhhh!
                            Tito, I just finished listening today. What happened at the end?! Who do you think the Dark Figure he went running to was? I didn't realize it the first time I read the book, but it's an alternate history story, not just a near future dystopia. King mentions German air attacks on the US east coast at the end of WWII, and another quick mention of an attack on a German nuclear facility in Santiago in 1953. It's strange that if he was going for the alternate history he didn't make it even more clear. Maybe we can just chalk it up to being a very inexperienced novelist (I think he wrote this just before or after 'Salem's Lot), or the editors cut a lot of that out. We've been talking about POV, and King did a great job of limiting the POV to Garrity, but it kind of gives away the end, don't you think?
                            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

The ending for me was a suprise, it seemed rushed as if King lost interest in the story and wanted to end it. A shame but i still enjoyed it all the same.

No idea who the dark figure was and i was hoping all the way through the book that he would give more history of the walk and the world which gave birth to the suicidal test of endurance!

Comment

Hey Tito. How about this idea:

Spoiler!

My biggest question was who exactly The Major was? I'm guessing he was our "president for life", but that was another unanswered question. I kinda liked how he threw us into that world without finding the need to explain everything. You mentioned that you read Rage. Do you have an old edition, or is that still in print in England? King removed it from publication here in the US after the Columbine massacre and lately the Bachman books have only been reissued as stand alone paperbacks.

Comment

Working...
                                X