X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished The Last Watch by JS Dewes.

This one took awhile, as at times my interest definitely waned with the story.

Ultimately, glad I stuck with it & finished it.

At 470 pages, it could have been trimmed by 70 - 100 pages.

Will probably give the second book a try at some point in the future.

Next up, Dark Stars ed. John FD Taff. Six stories into this 12 story anthology, & pretty disappointed with it so far.

Really only liked one story so far (by Priya Sharma), & that was more fantasy than horror.

There are several known authors in the second half, so hoping the rest of the anthology picks up.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished my re-read of Joe Hill's "Heart Shaped Box" (Lividian version). Hadn't read it since it was first published. Enjoyed it even more this go-round. A definite classic! I also really enjoyed all the extras in the Lividian version, especially the artwork and lost first chapter. The one thing I did not enjoy about the Lividian version was that it ended with the short story "Jude Confronts Global Warming", as I truly hate that story. I get what Hill was doing with the story; however, it has always rubbed me the wrong way. Have always felt like it undercuts the characters of Jude & Mary Beth and discounts the strides they've made as people by the end of Heart Shaped Box. IMO, it should never be included with the novel itself.

Think I will read Strange Weather next as I'm on a bit of a Joe Hill kick, (Cemetery Dance Version).

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Reading a Novella called Crossroads by Laurel Hightower. About 20 pages in and it's pretty good so far. The whole thing is only slightly more than 100 pages.

Leave a comment:

• Jargendeli
    replied
    On Paul Tremblay. While I thought A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS and DISAPPEARANCE AT DEVIL’S ROCK were fine reads I thought that THE CABIN AT THE END OF THE WORLD was amazing and SURVIVOR SONG was also were worth my reading time. Currently reading AURORA by David Koepp.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Uh oh. Damn, I’ve been really looking forward to this one, one of more anticipated releases of the year. Hopefully I’ll have more luck with it than you (as, going in, I am a Tremblay fan).
    As always, my views are clearly in the minority, based on the Goodreads reviews. I'm going to keep going, because I want to see if ANYTHING ever happens, but the book is actually making me angry whenever I read it now, lol. I'd be curious to hear what you and other Tremblay fans think of it when you finish it.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    I've been slogging my way through the new Paul Tremblay novel, THE PALLBEARERS CLUB, for close to a month now, and it is the most boring book that I have read in a LONG time. I've finally reached the halfway mark, and nothing has happened. I just don't get all of the love for Tremblay.......I've only read A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, but that was the same kind of "nothing happens, then something maybe happens, but did it really happen...?" kind of story. Just not for me, I guess. I'm enjoying the Mel Brooks autobiography, ALL ABOUT ME! , a LOT more.
    Uh oh. Damn, I’ve been really looking forward to this one, one of more anticipated releases of the year. Hopefully I’ll have more luck with it than you (as, going in, I am a Tremblay fan).

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished the Subterranean Press edition of P. Djeli Clark's "A Master of Djinn". Not the usual type of story for me but liked it very much. The worldbuilding in this one is quite enjoyable. This edition also contained the adjacent short-stories and novellas that link to the novel and really went a long way to fleshing out some of the side-characters. Overall, this is a world I would be happy to visit again and hope that Clark continues the series.

Am now reading the Lividian version of Joe Hill's "Heart Shaped Box". Haven't read it since it was originally published. Remember enjoying it quite a bit. Am about 150 pages in so far.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    I've been slogging my way through the new Paul Tremblay novel, THE PALLBEARERS CLUB, for close to a month now, and it is the most boring book that I have read in a LONG time. I've finally reached the halfway mark, and nothing has happened. I just don't get all of the love for Tremblay.......I've only read A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, but that was the same kind of "nothing happens, then something maybe happens, but did it really happen...?" kind of story. Just not for me, I guess. I'm enjoying the Mel Brooks autobiography, ALL ABOUT ME! , a LOT more.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished Kristopher Triana's "And the Devil Cried". If you can stomach dark fiction, this one is highly recommended. You just might need a shower afterward as nothing is considered safe or taboo. More a crime/thriller than the usual horror novel from Triana. The style really seems to suit him. Also, the main character, Jackie, is probably the most horrible character that I have ever read. Not a single redeeming thing about him, or really anybody, in this novel; and yet, I always felt compelled to read on further. Just could not put this book down and ended up finishing it in two swallows (had to stop once as the book and some of the scenes in it are just that damn hardcore). While I'm not comparing their writing styles at all, finishing this one gave me the same sort of feelings that I had when I finished reading Thompson's "A Killer Inside Me" for the first time.
    Last edited by sholloman81; 06-13-2022, 05:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Tapped out on Her Wan Embrace by David Barker.

Jumped around in this collection, trying stories from each different section. Just nothing clicked for me.

Next up, something different. The Last Watch by JS Dewes, a space opera novel.

I’ve been wanting to get back to reading some science fiction, so decided to give this a shot (also wanted to read the trade paperback before pulling the trigger on the MidWorld Press LE).

A third of the way through & it’s OK so far. Hoping the story picks up going forward.

B

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Reading a mainstream(ish) thriller from an author I've never read before: UNTHINKABLE by Brad Parks. Kept seeing comparisons to Blake Crouch with regards to this particular book, so when I found a used Fine/Fine 1st HC for $3, I figured, Sure, I'll give it a shot. Just a dozen pages in, so no idea if it's any good yet, but am hopeful.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post

The book that made me a fan!!

Cujo was my first King book, 40 years ago.

Definitely time for a reread.

The movie is, in my opinion, also grossly underrated.

B
    Keep meaning to check out the movie and forgetting. Saw it when I was a tyke and can vaguely see the mom in my head. Beyond that, not much of a recollection of it. Sounds like a great time to revisit it. Thanks for the prompt!

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished my re-read of Stephen King's Cujo. I have to say that I enjoyed it much more than when I first read it; although, that may be due to the age difference. I think the older me was better able to understand and appreciate the "marital & work" chapters this go-round and wasn't just looking forward to Cujo's reappearance in the book. I also happened to read a Goodreads review of the book from Edward Lorn beforehand and he posits a very interesting theory in regards to Cujo. After the re-read, I think that I just might agree with him. Overall, while not the strongest of King's work, Cujo definitely lands in the plus column for me all these years later!
    The book that made me a fan!!

Cujo was my first King book, 40 years ago.

Definitely time for a reread.

The movie is, in my opinion, also grossly underrated.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished Horns by Joe Hill.

Second read for this book, & probably my first in 10+ years.

Surprised at how much of Horns I had forgotten. I liked it the first time I read it, but considered it one Hill’s weaker books.

Came away with a much higher regard for the story the second time through.

Started Her Wan Embrace, a collection by David Barker.

50 pages in & the jury is still out on this one.

I didn’t care much for The Revenant of Rebecca Paulson, so may have a quick trigger on this one.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished my re-read of Stephen King's Cujo. I have to say that I enjoyed it much more than when I first read it; although, that may be due to the age difference. I think the older me was better able to understand and appreciate the "marital & work" chapters this go-round and wasn't just looking forward to Cujo's reappearance in the book. I also happened to read a Goodreads review of the book from Edward Lorn beforehand and he posits a very interesting theory in regards to Cujo. After the re-read, I think that I just might agree with him. Overall, while not the strongest of King's work, Cujo definitely lands in the plus column for me all these years later!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X