What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
    Would you say that any of his previous books need to be read before this one? I have read Hellbound Heart, as Pinhead is a central character in The Scarlet Gospels.
    You don't even really need to have read The Hellbound Heart in order to enjoy this book. The other main character of the book is Harry D'Amour from "The Last Illusion" which became Lord of Illusions in film form and he is also in Everville (Which I haven't read) and some other short stories. Honestly I don't think you have to read anything else before this but it probably will add some depth if you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
      You don't even really need to have read The Hellbound Heart in order to enjoy this book. The other main character of the book is Harry D'Amour from "The Last Illusion" which became Lord of Illusions in film form and he is also in Everville (Which I haven't read) and some other short stories. Honestly I don't think you have to read anything else before this but it probably will add some depth if you have.
      OK - I have read some of his other books as well, and have a few on my bookshelf. I am grabbing this regardless. Thanks!

Comment

OK - I have read some of his other books as well, and have a few on my bookshelf. I am grabbing this regardless. Thanks!
        It's really good, I recommend it! Welcome!

Comment

Rated Genocide of One: A Thriller 3 stars on GR. Started The Martian about 3:30 am, after TMZ. I would have it read by now, but it took me forever to get it through my library. That is why I BUY HC books.
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

As I posted on your Goodreads post about The Martian, I am curious as to your review on this. When I read the overview it sounds similar to Mars by Ben Bova, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I am starting an Arthur C Clarke short story collection The Nine Billion Names of God.

Comment

I've never read Mars by Bova, but I really enjoyed The Martain. Just remember: In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl.

Started Submerged by Monteleone.
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Finished The Naming of the Beasts by Mike Carey. Love the Felix Castor books and this one was no exception. I was hoping for more resolution on some subplots, but still a heck of a fun read.

Reading The Halloween Children by Prentiss and Freeman along with The Orchard by Charles L. Grant.

Comment

Finished Submerged. Rated it 2 stars on GR. I was expecting a story of the Nazis mucking around with a bunch of Cthulhu-sh** and got a by-the-numbers account of an experimental sub's maiden voyage and the discovery of it's wreck 70 years later. OK, but not particularly interesting.

Searching my GR recommendations for my next read.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                    Finished Submerged. Rated it 2 stars on GR. I was expecting a story of the Nazis mucking around with a bunch of Cthulhu-sh** and got a by-the-numbers account of an experimental sub's maiden voyage and the discovery of it's wreck 70 years later. OK, but not particularly interesting.

Searching my GR recommendations for my next read.
                    Doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Just started The Little Sisters of Eluria, my first foray into Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.

Comment

Nine Billion Names of God was a good, quick read - short story collection selected by Arthur C Clarke himself - he even provides some comments on some of the stories. The title story was really good, and this collection also has The Sentinel which was the foundation for 2001: A Space Odyssey

I am now reading Preston & Child Thunderhead. Really enjoying it so far. I like the inclusion of a lot of "real" science, history, etc. behind it. For me, the more non-fiction, the fiction is, the better in a lot of cases. Know what I mean?

Comment

Right now I'm reading both Rats by James Herbert and Topsiders by Scott Tyson.

Comment

Halfway through The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                            Halfway through The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper.
                            This one I enjoyed quite a lot.

Thunderhead has been fantastic so far!

Comment

This one I enjoyed quite a lot.

Thunderhead has been fantastic so far!
                              Good to hear. I enjoyed The Demonologist. Getting ready to read The Alienist and it's sequel The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I had high hopes for The Demonologist. Usually my cup of tea, but I found this one a bit tepid.

Comment

Working...
                                X