What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
    This is one I really want to get my hands on. Please let me know your thoughts on it.
    I gave up on it...slow, boring, repetitive, and by the time I got half way thru it I realized I just didn't care what happened any more, so I moved on to something else. Apparently a lot of people liked it, so give it a shot, but I've been reading hard SF for forty years and this one just didn't do anything for me.

If you want to see how it should be done, read Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
      I gave up on it...slow, boring, repetitive, and by the time I got half way thru it I realized I just didn't care what happened any more, so I moved on to something else. Apparently a lot of people liked it, so give it a shot, but I've been reading hard SF for forty years and this one just didn't do anything for me.

If you want to see how it should be done, read Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age.
      Diamond Age is one I have been keeping my eyes out for too - Have not read Stephenson yet, but I do have Anathem sitting on my bookshelf. (it's size is why I keep putting it off)

I will ask you a question re: hard sci-fi..... Any suggestions for authors/books that are along the lines of Arthur C Clarke, and his style of sci-fi..... meaning: using real science and potentially futuristic endeavours that have real science behind, but that are not stories of wars fought in space. I am thinking of tracking down authors like Peter Hamilton maybe, Alastair Reynolds, or Jack McDevitt (found Engines of God yesterday at a used book shop), Stephen Baxter, Vernor Vinge?????

That being said, I am now reading Wormholes, by Dennis Meredith

Comment

Finished Dog Day's a great book. Over half way through The Memory Tree and this is also another great book.

Comment

I will ask you a question re: hard sci-fi..... Any suggestions for authors/books that are along the lines of Arthur C Clarke, and his style of sci-fi..... meaning: using real science and potentially futuristic endeavours that have real science behind, but that are not stories of wars fought in space. I am thinking of tracking down authors like Peter Hamilton maybe, Alastair Reynolds, or Jack McDevitt (found Engines of God yesterday at a used book shop), Stephen Baxter, Vernor Vinge?????
          All the Jack McDevitt books i've read have been about wars in space

There are many good authors out there. I like anything by Robert Heinlein. Some of his books may be a little dated, as he died in 1988, but they are still a great read.

Bruce Sterling, Marcus Sakey (the Brilliance saga), Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, Stephen Baxter, Cory Doctorow, Gregory Benford, Alastair Reynolds, John Scalzi, John Varley (Millenium and Steel Beach are my favorites), Dan Simmons, Daniel Suarez, William Hertling...all worth a look.

Comment

Excellent! I will check it out. Thanks for that Dave.

Comment

This is one I really want to get my hands on. Please let me know your thoughts on it.
              I actually put it down for now. It was good, but had so many events, terms and references that weren't clarified that I didn't feel connected to the story. You can guess some things from context, but with so many, to me, unclear items, I had a hard time connecting to the story. It has a ton of great reviews, so maybe if I stuck with it, all would become clear!!! LOL! I am just not in the mood for it maybe.
              Last edited by bsaenz24; 07-17-2014, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Blackout by Tim Curran

Comment

Finally having the pleasure of reading my pb copy of Relic! Fantastic so far!!!!!

Comment

Relic and Reliquary go together, so I would read that next

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                      Relic and Reliquary go together, so I would read that next
                      I am going to try and track that down actually. I have a stack of books I am bringing to used book shop this weekend, and will see if that is there.

Comment

"Traitor's Blade" by Sebastien de Castell. For free! Yay! (for review purposes). Loving it so far. About halfway done.

Also, was in a nostalgic mood the other night (ie, buzzed) and I ordered all the "Greyhawk" books I could find. Reading the first one now.

Comment

Recently finished 'The Elementals', by Michael McDowell - Absolutely fantastic, 9/10

'Dead White', by Alan Ryan - fairly laid back 'small town in peril/vengeance from beyond the grave' novel that I really enjoyed, 7/10

Both these authors are new to me, but I have picked up more of their work since reading these. Disappointed that I didn't check them out back in the day.

Comment

I am about 1/2 way through a techno-cyber-thriller titled Daemon by Daniel Suarez - it's been on my list for a while, and found the HC at a local used book shop for cheap. It's actually quite a good read so far!

Comment

Just started the third book in The Strain trilogy. Loved them all so far.

Comment

A great book Brad. I read all three one after the other. Me I am reading my copy of Toilet Baby by Shane McKenzie. Twisted little tale with a big heart......No I am not kidding.

Comment

Working...
                                X