X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Finally got around to reading my Suntup AGE of The Auctioneer. Had never read nor even heard of this story until I made this purchase. Am very glad that I took the chance as I enjoyed the heck out of this book. Loved the way the author slowly ratcheted-up the tension in this story. By the end of the book, my anxiety level was through the roof. Also thought the that husband's introduction to this book was very heartbreaking and at least as scary as the story itself. What a shame that the author never got to really enjoy the success of this book and instead had to die so young.

Finally got around to reading my Suntup AGE of Fahrenheit 451. Sadly, this was one of the few Bradbury stories that I hadn't read until now. While it was a little dated, the message of the story is timeless. I had many preconceptions as to what this story would be and most of them were subverted (in a good way). Really enjoyed the character of Clarisse and wish she would have stuck around longer. I also really liked the concept of the mechanical hound and found it to be a very cool idea. Overall, I did enjoy this book and am glad to finally have a good copy of it for my library.
    Always great to see folks introduced to the true classics of the genre, the cream of the crop, via these Suntup (and other) reprints...those two are certainly high on the list of Very Special Works.

Me, I'm trying out a new-to-me-but-popular-in-the-mainstream author -- Dennis Lehane -- for the first time via his short novel, THE DROP. Started it last night so only about a quarter of the way in, but so far, so good.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Finally got around to reading my Suntup AGE of Fahrenheit 451. Sadly, this was one of the few Bradbury stories that I hadn't read until now. While it was a little dated, the message of the story is timeless. I had many preconceptions as to what this story would be and most of them were subverted (in a good way). Really enjoyed the character of Clarisse and wish she would have stuck around longer. I also really liked the concept of the mechanical hound and found it to be a very cool idea. Overall, I did enjoy this book and am glad to finally have a good copy of it for my library.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Finally got around to reading my Suntup AGE of The Auctioneer. Had never read nor even heard of this story until I made this purchase. Am very glad that I took the chance as I enjoyed the heck out of this book. Loved the way the author slowly ratcheted-up the tension in this story. By the end of the book, my anxiety level was through the roof. Also thought the that husband's introduction to this book was very heartbreaking and at least as scary as the story itself. What a shame that the author never got to really enjoy the success of this book and instead had to die so young.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Starting Lansdale’s MOON LAKE.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Finally got around to reading my Suntup AGE of A Scanner Darkly. Has been awhile since I read this novel. I forgot how much humor was in this book. The paranoid rants of the druggies really crack me up which is a good thing considering how bleak the rest of the book tends to be. Love the ending as well. Overall, while Dick's writing can be hit or miss for me, this is a novel that I definitely enjoyed.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    Making my way through the three-volume choose-your-own-pathway WE ALL HEAR STORIES IN THE DARK, and loving it so far. I'm around 10 stories in (Out of 101), and it is like nothing else I've ever read. This was supposed to be my big vacation read last week, but our vacation trip was derailed after one day, and we had to come right back home, so I'm slowly making my way through it at as time permits, alone with Rick Huatala's THE MOUNTAIN KING and a few others.
    WE ALL HEAR STORIES IN THE DARK has me super-intrigued. I’ve almost pulled the trigger on it multiple times. I’d love to hear your thoughts once you’ve finished it.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Making my way through the three-volume choose-your-own-pathway WE ALL HEAR STORIES IN THE DARK, and loving it so far. I'm around 10 stories in (Out of 101), and it is like nothing else I've ever read. This was supposed to be my big vacation read last week, but our vacation trip was derailed after one day, and we had to come right back home, so I'm slowly making my way through it at as time permits, alone with Rick Huatala's THE MOUNTAIN KING and a few others.

Leave a comment:

• Jargendeli
    replied
    Finished DOUBLE THREAT by F. Paul Wilson. Sometimes I forget what a great writer Mr. Wilson is. About halfway through FALLING by T. J. Newman. Next up is THE FINAL GIRLS SUPPORT GROUP by Grady Hendrix.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

That one was a miss for me. I wanted to love it and I gave it every chance, but it felt like a YA novel. I couldn't finish it. I was really bummed.
    I loved it and will be returning to it multiple times.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Finished Westlake Soul from Rio Youers. Fantastic book! I also see why Owen King wrote the intro for SST. The book felt like an Owen King story at points.
    That one was a miss for me. I wanted to love it and I gave it every chance, but it felt like a YA novel. I couldn't finish it. I was really bummed.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Finished Westlake Soul from Rio Youers. Fantastic book! I also see why Owen King wrote the intro for SST. The book felt like an Owen King story at points.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished Joe Lansdale's "Moon Lake". I enjoyed the heck out of this book. Could have finished it in one sitting; however, I forced myself to slow down because I didn't want to let go of the characters that soon and because I wanted to delay that bittersweet feeling of knowing that I just finished an amazing story and would not get to spend any more time in that world. A definite five-star read for me!
    Good to hear...that one will likely be my next book after the one I just started.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished Joe Lansdale's "Moon Lake". I enjoyed the heck out of this book. Could have finished it in one sitting; however, I forced myself to slow down because I didn't want to let go of the characters that soon and because I wanted to delay that bittersweet feeling of knowing that I just finished an amazing story and would not get to spend any more time in that world. A definite five-star read for me!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Recently finished my Tolkien re-read of The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, & The Silmarillion. Took me awhile, but, as always, they were each amazing. In the past, I have struggled a bit to get through The Silmarillion; however, this time around, the book just clicked for me and I found myself enjoying it more than I ever have. The Silmarillion is probably an unfilmable book; however, I would love to see what someone who appreciates the material could do with it as a prestige multi-season tv series.

Also finished A Fine Dark Line by Joe Lansdale. Recently picked-up the limited edition version from SubPress and decided to give it a read. Am glad I did as I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this novel. Originally read it when it was first published as a trade edition. Lansdale is one of those authors who can work magic with coming of age stories. Strongly recommend this book.

Am currently reading Joe Lansdale's newest novel, Moon Lake. Am only about 50 pages in, but, so far, so good. Definitely has that Lansdale voice to it.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished Sunblind by Michael McBride last night.

A really dark piece, where the real horrors at times exceed the supernatural horrors.

One of McBride's best.

After that, started Transmissions From Punktown, ed. by Brian Sammons.

Only two stories in so far, but enjoyed them both (the first by Thomas, the second by Paul Tremblay).

B

Leave a comment:

Working...
X