No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Approaching the climax of Straub's 'Ghost Story' - only about 50 pages to go. An absolute masterpiece, that is perfectly paced. As a reader, pacing is really important to me, in a novel or short story, and this is a great example.

Up next, I'm thinking 'The Shaft', by David Schow.

Comment

I really, really, really need to get my hands on Ghost Story. I totally agree with you about pacing!

Comment

Ghost Story is easily in my top 10 books. Probably top 5.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
          Ghost Story is easily in my top 10 books. Probably top 5.
          It's the only book that has ever given me a nightmare. Considering that I've probably read at least 15,000 books, that's one scary story.

Comment

Finished 'Ghost Story', and yep - total masterpiece. This is number 1, for me, without doubt.
            The highly rated 'Dark Matter', by Michelle Paver, turned up the other day, but I had already started Schow's 'The Shaft', and I'm really liking it. A bit of 'in your face' horror is probably a good thing to read between the more 'refined' 'Ghost Story' and 'Dark Matter'. Having said that, 'The Shaft' is very well written so far.

Comment

I finished The Strain this weekend - I actually really enjoyed it! I saw mixed reviews, and if not getting this as a Christmas gift I probably wouldn't have purchased it.

Now.....A Game of Thrones

Comment

Just started The Prophet. I'm enjoying it so far.

Comment

I'm about 200 pages into Nick Cutter's The Deep, and it is incredible and addicting. I have not enjoyed a book this much in awhile.

Comment

My current obsession is pretending that Clive Barker finally released the long promised new short story collection. By that I mean I'm just gathering up all the anthologies that contained his uncollected stories and reading them, and man I'm loving it. The only one I'm working on getting still is Dollie, which was in Turn Down the Lights.

I'm also reading In the Closet Under the bed by Lee Thomas, some excellent short fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by markgunnells View Post
                      The only one I'm working on getting still is Dollie, which was in Turn Down the Lights.

I'm also reading In the Closet Under the bed by Lee Thomas, some excellent short fiction.
                      Dollie is awesome and In the Closet Under the Bed is an exceptional anthology! Welcome to a fellow South Carolinian!

Comment

Reading They Thirst. Fantastic so far!!

Comment

Started reading War Against the Chtorr Invasion for the third time with hopes of books- 5 to 7 coming out in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                            Dollie is awesome and In the Closet Under the Bed is an exceptional anthology! Welcome to a fellow South Carolinian!
                            I got Turn Down the Lights and read Dollie, perverse little vignette. And In the Closet did turn out to be a wonderful collection. And nice to meet another southern boy.

Comment

Just finished reading The House Next Door, a truly wonderful haunted house tale.

Comment

Originally posted by markgunnells View Post
                                Just finished reading The House Next Door, a truly wonderful haunted house tale.
                                I read that one for the first time last year, effectively creepy tale that really sticks with you

Comment

Working...
                                X