No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished NOS4A2. An imaginative premise that failed in execution for me. Rated it 2* on GR. But I noticed that a lot of the people who did not like NOS4A2 really liked Heart-Shaped Box and Horns. So I think I'll give HSB a go, since it's looking kinda lonley on my shelf, surrounded by other books I've read and enjoyed.

I also suspect NOS4A2 may have simply been too ambitious for Hill. He is a terrific writer!
    Last edited by srboone; 12-03-2014, 11:04 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I think Horns may be the stronger of those two. I still consider my favorite JH book is 20th Century Ghosts even though I traditionally do not like short stories.

Originally posted by srboone View Post
      Finished NOS4A2. An imaginative premise that failed in execution for me. Rated it 2* on GR. But I noticed that a lot of the people who did not like NOS4A2 really liked Heart-Shaped Box and Horns. So I think I'll give HSB a go, since it's looking kinda lonley on my shelf, surrounded by other books I've read and enjoyed.

I also suspect NOS4A2 may have simply been too ambitious for Hill. He is a terrific writer!
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Finished 'The Kill', by Alan Ryan, and I loved most of it - but I just couldn't go with what the 'ancient evil' ended up being. Took a 4.5 star book down to a 3.

'The Haunted Book', by Jeremy Dyson. Absolutely brilliant collection of contemporary, and a couple of period, ghost stories, contained within a wrap around framework. Really well written, with some genuinely scary/creepy stories and the 'just right' amount of gore. Highly recommended.

Randomly picked 'The House Next Door', by Anne Rivers Siddons, off the shelf, the other night, and 200 pages later I'm convinced that this is one of the top 10 horror novels ever written. I first read in in my mid-teens, after reading King's glowing review of it in 'Danse Macabre'. I loved it back then, but now reading it later in life, I love it even more. The style is terrific, characterisation superb, it has an amazing sense of dread, and a nasty streak running through it. There are a few things that date it, but certainly not in a bad way, but really it could almost have been written yesterday.
        If you haven't read it before, do yourself a favour - highly, highly recommended.

Comment

Just finished Revival Freaked me out

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
            Just finished Revival Freaked me out
            I think the scariest parts for me were related to the religious fanaticism displayed by Jacobs.

Comment

The Phantom of the Opera. Something I should have read a long time ago. Right now i have two more books palnned for 2014 after PotO: Double Feature by Owen King and For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway. But plans could change......
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I finished Blood Kin then Necroscope recently, and now I don't know what to read.

Comment

Read a Harlequin Romance. It'll will make you appreciate all the other stuff out there to read even more. And it will cure you of never knowing what to read again.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I am reading Dark Screams Vol I..... should finish that up today. Good collection!

Then, it will probably be Dan Simmons....Song of Kali. It's a title I found at a used book shop locally, and one I've been looking for for a while. I've enjoyed everything of his I have read.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                      Read a Harlequin Romance. It'll will make you appreciate all the other stuff out there to read even more. And it will cure you of never knowing what to read again.

Seems like sound advice. But I forwent this suggestion and started up my first Robert McCammon novel, They Thirst.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post

Seems like sound advice. But I forwent this suggestion and started up my first Robert McCammon novel, They Thirst.
                        See? Just the thought is all most people need!
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Finishing up Raven's Shadow by Elspeth Cooper, the 3rd book in her Wild Hunt trilogy. Very good, enjoyable fantasy, well written.
                          MDH

Comment

For Whom the Bell Tolls. This time, it's tolling for me. I'm about 40% through it.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Song of Kali - Good read! The most terrifying part of the story is the setting almost. This book flowed pretty fast, and was another enjoyable Simmons for me. 3 for 3 with him!

After that I finished The Box chapbook - which was a very quick but good short.

Santa Claus brought me quite a few books, so that being said......

I am now reading Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan's The Strain. This has drawn me right in, and I am tearing through it. Very good so far!

Comment

Finished The Book of Strange New Things by Michael Faber. Good, not great. Read better stories of a pastor losing his religion. Read worse. Starting The Tale of the Heike by that great teller of tales...Anonymous..
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X