X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    New book announcement coming on Wednesday at Noon EST. Paul seems to be pumping this up as a BIG release and says that it's "the most exquisite Earthling numbered edition we have ever produced." I'm thinking price is probably push me out of the market, especially considering Dune Messiah was just released and took a big chunk of my budget. Any guesses or thoughts?
    Yeah, I'm really hoping that it's something I don't want or already have as I feel like I will most likely be priced out as well!  The last Classic announced, Inspection by Malerman, was $250 and that was too rich for my blood, especially with the SST limited at $60.  If this upcoming announcement is even more lavish than the Malerman book, than I have to guestimate that it would be in the $300 range, again too rich for my blood, especially with the upcoming Thunderstorm & Suntup titles.  

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    New book announcement coming on Wednesday at Noon EST. Paul seems to be pumping this up as a BIG release and says that it's "the most exquisite Earthling numbered edition we have ever produced." I'm thinking price is probably push me out of the market, especially considering Dune Messiah was just released and took a big chunk of my budget. Any guesses or thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I received my copy of GOTHIC yesterday, too, and agree that it looks great. Paul isn’t big on interior art, typically, and this one was no exception, but that doesn’t diminish from the high quality specs of the overall production. Very pleased to have this book, can’t wait to read it (I also have a signed 1st HC of CHILD ALONE WITH STRANGERS that is waiting to be read), and look forward to seeing what else Paul announces in 2023.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just received the LE of Fracassi's "Gothic" from Earthling. This book turned out fantastic! The cover-art is great, and I really love those end-papers! Also think the art inside this one is really neat too. Glen Chadbourne did an amazing job. I think he might just be my favorite small-press artist. Really love his style! For such a small press, Earthling really does an amazing job on their productions. I have never once been disappointed by anything I have purchased from them and am almost always blown-away. That being said, I do have a (small) complaint. The complaint is that I didn't receive a shipping notice for the book. I almost never do from Earthling. Their stuff just shows up whenever it does. The worrier in me doesn't really care for that and would prefer a tracking number or at least a head's-up that the book is on the way in case it gets lost in transit, misdelivered, or stolen. The one good thing is that Earthling does publish their books on-time; so, you can generally guess as to when the book should arrive, and Paul is good about confirming if you contact him directly. Other than that issue, Earthling is top-notch. So much so, that I am always disappointed that they don't publish more books each year. I would be first in line to order them!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Congrats! I should be receiving mine in the near future as well. I will only own this one and Boys from last year.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just received my copy of Marla! So stoked that it made it before Halloween! It looks really fantastic. That signature page is very cool. I really love Earthling's Halloween series. It's always been a (unrealistic) goal to obtain the whole series. Some of those early books are still a pretty penny on the aftermarket...

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just received my copy of Marla! So stoked that it made it before Halloween! It looks really fantastic. That signature page is very cool. I really love Earthling's Halloween series. It's always been a (unrealistic) goal to obtain the whole series. Some of those early books are still a pretty penny on the aftermarket...

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    It does look very nice. Would love to own this one.

I'm still eyeballing INSPECTION. Saw Jeff's unboxing video and it looks REALLY nice. I'll probably talk myself out of it again.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I'm still eyeballing INSPECTION. Saw Jeff's unboxing video and it looks REALLY nice. I'll probably talk myself out of it again.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Funny because I did the exact same thing.

Originally posted by swintek View Post

I had to double check once I saw the price to see if this was perhaps printed letterpress for that price.

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied

I was actually disappointed to see the price of this one as well. Past titles from the Earthling Classics line were around $85; so, I was not really expecting the price of the new titles to be triple that price point. Very disappointing. Hope that this is a one-off in terms of price or I probably won't be able to participate in this line. I could almost grab two Suntup AGE's at that price!
    This sums up my thoughts exactly. I had to double check once I saw the price to see if this was perhaps printed letterpress for that price. No, printed regular offset. Song of Kali- just the regular, numbered edition- from the previous incarnation of this line is a long-time favorite book and edition on my shelf. It was $75 (honestly, a bit pricey at the time). I fear it may be the last of the line for me.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

Yeah, I wish I would have slept in as well. I do enjoy Malerman; however, since SST is also doing a version of this book and since I already have the other Malerman books from their bundle, I will stick with the SST set. Due to spacing and budget issues, I also no longer purchase duplicate titles, no matter how lavish. On a side note, I was actually disappointed to see the price of this one as well. Past titles from the Earthling Classics line were around $85; so, I was not really expecting the price of the new titles to be triple that price point. Very disappointing. Hope that this is a one-off in terms of price or I probably won't be able to participate in this line. I could almost grab two Suntup AGE's at that price!
    I completely forgot that SST is doing a limited of Inspection. I've been getting the SST Malerman's through Camelot so I should be locked in there with my matching number. This makes passing on the Earthling title easier if I go that way.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Got up bright and early to get ready for this 7AM announcement, and it turned out I could have slept in a bit longer. It does look lovely, but Malerman just isn’t for me. Great to see Paul bring this line back, though…curious to see what’s next.
    Yeah, I wish I would have slept in as well. I do enjoy Malerman; however, since SST is also doing a version of this book and since I already have the other Malerman books from their bundle, I will stick with the SST set. Due to spacing and budget issues, I also no longer purchase duplicate titles, no matter how lavish. On a side note, I was actually disappointed to see the price of this one as well. Past titles from the Earthling Classics line were around $85; so, I was not really expecting the price of the new titles to be triple that price point. Very disappointing. Hope that this is a one-off in terms of price or I probably won't be able to participate in this line. I could almost grab two Suntup AGE's at that price!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Splync View Post

I'm in the same boat. It's a beautiful looking book and I'd love to get in on the new Modern Classics line, but that's a huge chunk of change for a book that I've never read.

I have a handful of other Malerman limited editions, but I've heard very mixed things about this particular title. And while I've enjoyed a good majority of what I've read from him, I don't know how I feel about this particular title.

I'll have to pass at the moment simply because of Lyra's Books and the Coraline pre-order. I suppose I might swing for this title down the road if it's still available.

I'm very interested to see how quickly it sells out!
    Their books look beautiful, but I can't even bother with Lyra's at this point. I love all the new publishers and level of creativity that is coming out in the book designs are amazing, but there is only so much I can afford to spend on books. Between Centipede, Thunderstorm, and SST I'm stretched pretty thin as it is. Throw in the random Earthling and Sub Press title and things get dicey on the ol' budget.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    I had a feeling that this was going to be the title. I’m rather torn at the moment. On one hand, I haven’t read the book or that much from Malerman and I have four S/L on my shelf from him already…and the book is $250, which quite a chunk of change to drop, especially considering how many books are being pumped out right now as publishers get caught up on the COVID backlog.

On the other hand, the book looks very nice and I’d like to get in on the ground floor of the reimagined Modern Classics line with the title.

So…
    I'm in the same boat. It's a beautiful looking book and I'd love to get in on the new Modern Classics line, but that's a huge chunk of change for a book that I've never read.

I have a handful of other Malerman limited editions, but I've heard very mixed things about this particular title. And while I've enjoyed a good majority of what I've read from him, I don't know how I feel about this particular title.

I'll have to pass at the moment simply because of Lyra's Books and the Coraline pre-order. I suppose I might swing for this title down the road if it's still available.

I'm very interested to see how quickly it sells out!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I had a feeling that this was going to be the title. I’m rather torn at the moment. On one hand, I haven’t read the book or that much from Malerman and I have four S/L on my shelf from him already…and the book is $250, which quite a chunk of change to drop, especially considering how many books are being pumped out right now as publishers get caught up on the COVID backlog.

On the other hand, the book looks very nice and I’d like to get in on the ground floor of the reimagined Modern Classics line with the title.

So…

Leave a comment:

Working...
X