X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Did anybody pick up the Jeffrey Thomas title? I was a little on the fence, but the low ($35!) price point helped me take the gamble. With all the high price points that seem to be dominating right now, I was very happy to see a lower price point title.

I'm also curious as to what the next lettered edition is going to be. I'm sure that I'll be priced out since Earthling's lettered edition price points have increased, but I'm always curious as to what it might be.
    I've been able to remain on the fence, mainly because I'm not familiar with Thomas' work; so, my FOMO hasn't kicked into hyperdrive yet. That being said, the price point does truly rock! Earthling has always been great when it comes to their LE prices. Can't wait to receive their Halloween book (once Thunderstorm ships their orders as I did the combo deal).

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Did anybody pick up the Jeffrey Thomas title? I was a little on the fence, but the low ($35!) price point helped me take the gamble. With all the high price points that seem to be dominating right now, I was very happy to see a lower price point title.

I'm also curious as to what the next lettered edition is going to be. I'm sure that I'll be priced out since Earthling's lettered edition price points have increased, but I'm always curious as to what it might be.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Received my copy of Midas last week. It's another quality production from Paul at a fantastic price point. Looking forward to reading this one eventually.

So jealous! I ordered my copy as a part of the Thunderstorm bundle; so, I'm assuming that it will not be sent until they publish Burn the Plans in October.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Received my copy of Midas last week. It's another quality production from Paul at a fantastic price point. Looking forward to reading this one eventually.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    So excited by today's Tyler Jones Halloween series announcement! If you haven't read Jones before, now is the time. His stuff rocks!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    So excited by today's Tyler Jones Halloween series announcement! If you haven't read Jones before, now is the time. His stuff rocks!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Looks like Earthling has less than 40 copies of Dune left as of their newsletter today. Camelot also has copies available on their site. Not sold out, but that's still a lot of copies sold for Earthling. I'm sure that they will eventually all be sold. They also state that they've had over 70 people express interest in the 10 copy lettered edition. I can only image how stinking expensive that one is going to be with the limited already at such a high price point.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoogs View Post
    Splync, I just found your Youtube channel yesterday. Good stuff.
    Thank you very much!!

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Love their Halloween Titles!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoogs View Post
    I wasn't even familiar with Earthling Publications before yesterday, so this was a surprise to me.

Counting Folio, this is the third limited edition of Dune in what, 1.5-2 years? That's a little much, but given my Dune collection, it's probably no surprise that I ordered one.
    Hoping that I like the artwork more when I see the actual book.

Still available after more than 24 hours, so maybe there is some market fatigue.
    Honestly, I prefer that over watching them sellout in 20 minutes and end up on eBay a half hour later.
    Well, you are in for some good times with just finding out about Earthling. I really like their books and, for the most part, they are pretty affordable. Their Halloween series is a lot of fun.

I agree with your statement about rather seeing sales trickle out for Earthling's Dune instead of seeing it sell out to flippers. I do not have a problem with people reselling books as I do it myself from time to time, but some of the examples of excessive flipping always bums me out a little.

Leave a comment:

• Scoogs
    replied
    Splync, I just found your Youtube channel yesterday. Good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Your point stands, but the Folio edition came out about six years ago, unless they've done a new version of the one that came out then.
    They did a limited edition within the last few years. It was essentially the standard edition with a different binding and a pretty cool traycase.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Your point stands, but the Folio edition came out about six years ago, unless they've done a new version of the one that came out then.

Leave a comment:

• Scoogs
    replied
    I wasn't even familiar with Earthling Publications before yesterday, so this was a surprise to me.

Counting Folio, this is the third limited edition of Dune in what, 1.5-2 years? That's a little much, but given my Dune collection, it's probably no surprise that I ordered one.
    Hoping that I like the artwork more when I see the actual book.

Still available after more than 24 hours, so maybe there is some market fatigue.
    Honestly, I prefer that over watching them sellout in 20 minutes and end up on eBay a half hour later.
    Last edited by Scoogs; 04-06-2023, 11:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I do agree that as a collector it's a bit disappointing when the same book is done back-to-back, so to speak, by different small-press publishers, when there are so many wonderful books out there waiting their turn. But ultimately the market will prove whether or not the choice is sound...copies still remain 90 minutes after offering, but I suspect it'll be sold out by day's (or perhaps week's) end. Or perhaps not, hard to say. I hope it does sell see a quick sell-out...Paul's a great guy, and deserves every bit of success he gets.

As far as impacting the value of the Centipede edition, I don't think it'll have too much...first, as you say, it looks like this is a one-off and not a series set like Centipede, which inherently helps maintain the value of the first Centipede volume as an indispensable part of the set, and, two, I do think, due to higher production values and the fact that it was the first published of the two, that the Centipede will still be seen as The One to Have, much in the same way that the availability of the Folio Society edition has had little to no impact on the desirability and aftermarket value of the Centipede edition. I'm not comparing the Folio mid-grade edition to Earthling's high-end production, of course, but it's still a matter of perceived return-on-investment, especially with Centipede's established, proven reputation as a premium publisher in the marketplace...that type of high-end publishing is something that Earthling is just beginning to dabble in with its last couple of books (INSPECTION and DUNE) in an otherwise couple of decades of sub-$100 books, so it may be a bit of leap for collectors to invest $650 in a volume in a type of book that has no track history from the publisher, even though I have no doubt Paul will hit it out of the park.

As far as GHOST STORY, not sure about that one for me...I have the signed/#d HC from Hill House, and that may just have to suffice, as I've tried to draw a red-line on multiple volumes of the same book. But we'll see...that's going to be a tough one to pass on.
    Your thoughts about the lack of impact on the Centipede version seems sound to me. I don't like to think about those things too much in my collecting, but it is always in interesting facet of the hobby.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuggers View Post
    I was stunned when I opened the email this afternoon and saw DUNE listed there. Stunned....and a little relieved.
    After I was a little bummed about the announcement, I found some feelings of relief nestled within. Dropping $650 today would have been really hard to do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X