No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dazed and Confused: My wife had never seen this and it's been a good long time since I had so I picked up the Criterion Blu-Ray a little while back. I remember really liking the movie when I first saw it about twenty years ago, but now with some distance I can say that it moved from "like" to "love". What a great "hang-out" flick that even though it is set in the 70s, feels timeless. The cast is uniformly great and the movie is just plain fun. The Criterion Blu-Ray is chock full of extras I have yet to delve into, but the new transfer is amazing. Grade: A

A Ghost Story: This movie has been on my radar for a while, but I've been hesitant to sit down and watch it. I'd heard nothing but great things, but also knew that it was more "artsy" and I've been recently burned with that type of flick. I decided to finally push "play" and was rather worried during the first fifteen minutes or so as director David Lowery lingered a few beats too long on shots or let scenes play almost to point of disengaging the viewer. And then it clicked. And once the movie started moving, I was swept up in the beauty of the cinematography, the emotion pulsing through the movie's veins, and the amazing score. By the end, the movie had completely won me over. Some scenes are so simple, but hit a nerve that it can make one's heart ache. Grade: A

Comment

I saw Ready Player One tonight. Man I loved that movie. Honestly it might be better than the book, and I'm a fan of the book. I was pretty skeptical going in, but all the changes made really suited the shorter form narrative that a movie is. There's some things from the book I would've liked to see them do, but overall it mostly just worked.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
        I saw Ready Player One tonight. Man I loved that movie. Honestly it might be better than the book, and I'm a fan of the book. I was pretty skeptical going in, but all the changes made really suited the shorter form narrative that a movie is. There's some things from the book I would've liked to see them do, but overall it mostly just worked.
        Good to hear. I loved the book as well and was worried but seems like everyone is having positive reactions to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
          Good to hear. I loved the book as well and was worried but seems like everyone is having positive reactions to it.
          Be warned, the plot is pretty drastically different than the book. That said I really think it needed to be, for the book to work as a movie.

Instagram

Comment

I have not read the book but the previews for the movie intrigue me.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              I have not read the book but the previews for the movie intrigue me.
              I think the book is good, as long as "referential" stuff doesn't annoy you.

Instagram

Comment

I think the book is good, as long as "referential" stuff doesn't annoy you.
                I have come close to adding to my Audible library a couple of times. The referential stuff doe not bother me, though occasionally I think "I hope the author is getting paid for this advertising". At some point I will add it.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                  I have come close to adding to my Audible library a couple of times. The referential stuff doe not bother me, though occasionally I think "I hope the author is getting paid for this advertising". At some point I will add it.
                  Yea I listened to the audio book as well. It's a fairly good narration.

Instagram

Comment

"The Body Tree."

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, not only for its subject and realism but for the honest-seeming emotions portrayed by the actors. I liked the choice of locale: Siberia, and the tie-in with Native American spiritual belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Broadwing View Post
                      "The Body Tree."

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, not only for its subject and realism but for the honest-seeming emotions portrayed by the actors. I liked the choice of locale: Siberia, and the tie-in with Native American spiritual belief.
                      Had not heard of this movie. Looked it up on IMDB and it sounds interesting, thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to keep my eyes open for it too.

Comment

I saw Avengers: Infinity War last night. It's good. I don't want to blow it out of proportion / over hype anyone for it. As I feel like over hype is what kills these movies. I will say that if you care about the MCU movies in the least you should see it. I don't think it's the best of them, but it's maybe the most important. I can't wait for what ever they are going to call what was originally Part 2 next year.

Instagram

Comment

I saw Avengers: Infinity War last night. It's good. I don't want to blow it out of proportion / over hype anyone for it. As I feel like over hype is what kills these movies. I will say that if you care about the MCU movies in the least you should see it. I don't think it's the best of them, but it's maybe the most important. I can't wait for what ever they are going to call what was originally Part 2 next year.
                            Like most everyone, I am so on board with this...unfortunately I'll probably have to wait until it hits Blu. The wife is a hardcore superhero movie fan, but is not a big fan of theaters so if I go without her it won't be pretty in the household. I was in the doghouse for a while when I went to see the first Avengers without her.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                              Like most everyone, I am so on board with this...unfortunately I'll probably have to wait until it hits Blu. The wife is a hardcore superhero movie fan, but is not a big fan of theaters so if I go without her it won't be pretty in the household. I was in the doghouse for a while when I went to see the first Avengers without her.
                              Tell her you are seeing the new A Star is Born.

Comment

Has everybody been as surprised by the phenomenal business that A Quiet Place is doing? I'd heard nothing but good reviews of it leading to it's release, but it's about to beat both Split and The Conjuring for domestic gross. It isn't close to hitting their worldwide gross amounts, but it has only been out three weeks versus Split and The Conjuring being out 15 to 16 weeks to get those numbers.

I still haven't seen it (see my previous post about wife and theaters), but I'm glad to see an original horror movie make such a big splash.

Comment

Working...
                                X