No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, decided to undertake another e-book. The manybooks.net e-book of Dreams in the Witch House by H P Lovecraft.

I can see already (just started it ) how Prey by Graham Masterton was influenced by this classic work.

Comment

Finished World War Z, Still don't care for it much. It was just ok. Finish Joyland and Meh. I did however almost cry at the end because of Milo. Afterlife, short and boring. I hope this is not a pattern. lol. Anyway I am now on to Night Shift which is not getting off to a good start with a very long and boring Authors note. I love Authors notes, Forwards and afterwards especially his and this one made me wish I had skipped it instead of wasting my lunch...hoping the stories are better. Picked this one because I decided to go with the oldest one I haven't read yet. After thinking about reading Firestarter I decided to do this instead and at first look apparently firestarter was the oldest one I hadn't read til I realized the Short story collections werent in the list I was looking at so...I looked again and Night shift. Still makes Firestarter next. If I dont go back and try to get through the bachman books anyway.

Comment

Just starting up Nos4a2.

Comment

Teri - I found that too with the author notes. Once I got into Night Shift though, it was great. Love the stories in it.

Comment

I will finish off my current read today (Dreams in the Witch House - Lovecraft). Up next....? I want to start Hyperion, and then it's sequel, however I have this huge monster of a book called Anathem by Neal Stephenson that is screaming to be opened up too! Anyone read Stephenson much? Is this going to be hard to get used to, like Mieville was in Embassytown?

I still may stick to an e-book though - picked up some very interesting titles on the good ol' Kobo also.

Comment

Read "Cannibal Corpse MC" by Tim Curran -pretty forgettable, first time I was disappointed with one of his works. Story of a genenticaly created worm that comes down with the rain and infects the living or dead into a type of zombie that the worms inhabit.
              16036907.jpg

"Blaze of Glory" by Weston Ochse, pretty solid but short. Maggots of varying sizes, from normal up to greyhound bus size, with a variety of appetites, flesh to stone, bring about the end of the world. This story is about a handful of survivors.

$(KGrHqJHJCwE+(+!qSieBQZIZJHv!!~~60_1.JPG

"Scary Rednecks and other Inbred Horrors" by Weston Oches and David Whitman. Pretty entertaining, the tales run the gauntlet from humor to fairly straight horror. My favorite being about two feuding clans the unite in a battle with an outhouse that is a portal to hell and the demon spawn that pours forth from it on a yearly anniversary. Here is a pretty good summery of the types of stories, abusive parents, cannibals, deer hunters, demonic catfish, UFO abductions, voodoo priestesses, vampire moonshiners, and Appalachian monstrosities to name a few.

ScaryRednecksPB.jpg

"Fungus" by Harry Adam Knight. Pretty typical of the tidal wave of horror from this era 1990. Well written but with some sex scenes that just made you wonder why, perhaps to sauce it up and make it more adult. Unique story of a scientist experimenting with fungus to make them grow larger and provide more protein to feed the poor and hungry. Only the results get loose causing every type of fungi to grow fast and gigantic, consuming people and buildings. Entertaining to me since I hunt mushrooms.

51jwJ-qzDJL._SL500_SY300_.jpg

"WerewolveSS" by Jerry and Sharon Ahern. Just a little way into this and its surprisingly well written. The world war two action is believable and brutal. Its near the end of the war and another desperate gamble by Hitler to turn the tide of the war Nazi Werewolves...need I say more
              AhernWerewolvess-1.jpg
              Last edited by paperdragon; 07-02-2013, 07:00 PM.
              If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

Finished rereading Pet Sematary. Upgrade my 4-star rating to a 5-star on GR. t was blown away by King's take-no-prisoners narration the second time around. Cujo is a bare bones full-bloodied horror novel; PS is a full-bodied, full-blooded horror novel.

Read and reviewed a generally agreeable short story collection Storms in Jars for a GR author.

Going back to the too-long-neglected Century's Best Horror Fiction Vol. 1.
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I need to revisit Pet Sematary someday soon. Named my son Gage because of it.
                  Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Brave man. He's survived pasted two?
                    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                      Brave man. He's survived pasted two?
                      Indeed. He's durable like that. It's funny how a book sticks with you that long, all the way to the delivery room, where you blurt out a name.
                      Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

I'm in one of those horrible moments when I've got a ton of books I want to read but can't make up my mind.... continue the Michael J. Sullivan series? Tackle Joe Abercrombie? Knock off one of my huge Warhammer books? A King book I haven't read yet? I finally got a copy of Frankenstein; maybe I'll try that. Or maybe something completely different; haven't read any Tom Robbins in a while, or Kurt Vonnegut.

Comment

started Mirage by F. Paul Wilson and Matthew J. Costello. Verdict is still out but it reads more like later Crichton then anything by either of the 2.

I too need to reread Pet Cemetery and will not get to it till next year. I have the next few months mapped out reading wise. Trying to catch up on books that have been in that tbr pile a long time. Also continuing my year long Brian Keene a month to catch up on his stuff. Will be reading Earthworm Gods author edition next. So that takes care of July. I have a week of very little reading starting the 14th as that is the week of Scout camp.Oh so busy.

Comment

The Wounded Land by Stephen R. Donaldson. It's even better than I remembered!

Comment

FWIW - Hyperion is a good read, at least what I've got through up to now. I was warned it could be a difficult read, but honestly, so far it is very good.

Comment

Moving between three short story collections at the moment:

'Tales From the Nightside', by Charles Grant. Only two stories in - one was just ok, the other was very good.

'The Dark Country', by Dennis Etchison. Again, only two stories in - both were superb.

'The Imago Sequence', by Laird Barron. Only one story to go, which is a novella. Barron is an amazing writer, for me he is easily the best 'new' horror author out there, by a long way. His novella length work is particularly satisfying. I have read his other collection, 'Occultation', which is his latest and it's even better than Imago. Highly, highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                                X