No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cage by Brian Keene: This was my first book by Keene and due to his sizeable fanbase I was hoping for something a little more than what was finally delivered. I knew where the story was headed from the get-go, so the final reveal was rather ho-hum. I find that I enjoy the "trapped in one location stories" a lot more when they are driven more by characters than by plot and the characters fell a little flat for me. Overall, not bad but rather mediocre. I do have a few more Keene titles in my TBR pile so I'm hoping that I'll enjoy those a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      The Cage by Brian Keene: This was my first book by Keene and due to his sizeable fanbase I was hoping for something a little more than what was finally delivered. I knew where the story was headed from the get-go, so the final reveal was rather ho-hum. I find that I enjoy the "trapped in one location stories" a lot more when they are driven more by characters than by plot and the characters fell a little flat for me. Overall, not bad but rather mediocre. I do have a few more Keene titles in my TBR pile so I'm hoping that I'll enjoy those a little more.
      Do you have, or have you read Dark Hollow? I found it funny for a horror novel, a little over the top at times to the point it was silly.

Comment

Started The Providence Rider last night. I will be caught up on the Matthew Corbett series.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
          Do you have, or have you read Dark Hollow? I found it funny for a horror novel, a little over the top at times to the point it was silly.
          Yeah, i have a s/l of it as The Rutting Season. It is the next Keene book on my list. Maybe I'll enjoy it more with my expectations lowered. I kinda went on a splurge and bought four of his books over a few weeks because I kept finding good deals on them. Hope I like the others better!

Comment

I'm curious to your thoughts on that one after you read it.

Comment

I'm curious to your thoughts on that one after you read it.
              It will probably be a week or two before I get to to it, but I'll definitely post my thoughts when I finish it.

Comment

A Taste of Tenderloin by Gene O'Neill: This was my first book by O'Neill and I really enjoy his writing. He has a deft touch for creating relatable characters, even if they are drug dealers or mentally ill junkies. As with any short story collection, I felt that some stories hit the mark a little better than others. The only real issue that I had with most of the stories was that they weren't long enough. With so much backstory needed to be laid out for the broken souls that litter each of his tales, it sometimes felt that the endings were rushed. That is a minor quibble for a collection of stories that I felt was well worth the price of admission. After finishing this, I'm definitely looking forward to reading The Burden of Indigo.

Femme by Bill Pronzini: Detective stories usually aren't my thing, but I really enjoyed this novella. A quick read with enough twists and turns to keep you flipping those pages. The cover is still one of my favorites and would love a large framed print hanging on my wall.

Comment

Just finished of The Dying Earth by Jack Vance. It was a very enjoyable and unique book. It takes place in the distant future of Earth, while the sun is waning and man is soon to perish. In the beginning it seemed like it was going to have one consistent storyline throughout the novel. But in fact it is multiple short stories loosely woven together to build a tapestry of the world that is the Dying Earth, and in that way it reminds me of Bradbury's Martian Chronicles.
                  Jack Vance uses some very surreal and fantastic imagery, and really captures the readers imagination. The stories have a sort of a fable like feeling to them, and after reading and digesting them a feel I walked away from some of them maybe just a little bit wiser.
                  Though stories are set in a futuristic setting, they mostly play out like sword & sorcery fantasy, more akin to Robert E. Howard or Fritz Leiber. That said their is times where high technology is prevalent in some stories.

Next up is most likely Frankenstein.

Comment

I tried, but I couldn't get into One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I don't think I was in the mood for it. I did read Samson and Denial yesterday though. It was a really quick and fun read. Now I trying to decide between Salem's Lot and The Backwoods by Ed Lee.

Comment

Salem's Lot is my favourite read of the year so far - can't go wrong.

Comment

Stumbled upon Wen Spencer's "Ukiah Oregon" books yesterday, so I'm giving them a shot.

Amazing how much urban fantasy is out there. Apparently what sells now is "Hot chick with tattoos!", given all the cover art. :-) I wonder if any new directions will come out. "She's dead! And she kills the living!" Or "She's dead! And she kills the dead!" (is that even possible?). "She's human! But she loves a monster!" "She's a monster! But she loves a human!" "She's a vampire! And she slays vampires!" "He looks like a model! But he's a stone-cold killer!" "He's a wolf! But also a man!" Oh, so much satire waiting to be written. I better get started. :-)

Comment

Warm Bodies: Now I'm a zombie purist. I like them either fast or slow but I don't want them to talk, fall in love or, for gods sake, sparkle. So when I picked up this book it was great trepidation. Well, I finished it today and I have to admit that I was completely wrong. I loved this book! The book was a lot more heart felt than i thought it would be without being overly sappy. The twists on the zombie legend were interesting and logical and the characters were all three dimensional and well rounded and their relationships complex and realistic. Highly recommended.

Comment

Probably picking up Mary Shelley's Frankenstein tomorrow.

Comment

Almost done Hyperion - should finish on the weekend at latest. I have to say, it has been a very good one. As srboone mentioned - at times it is a difficult read to get through, but definitely worth it. It's my first Simmons book, and certainly not hte last. I don't think I will jump into the sequel yet though. Next up will probably be The Thicket. Then Childhood's End on my Kobo.

Comment

Almost done Hyperion .....I don't think I will jump into the sequel yet though. Next up will probably be The Thicket. Then Childhood's End on my Kobo.

In my opinion, Fall of Hyperion is really the second half of the story and not a sequel. I suggest you read that while Hyperion is fresh in your mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X