No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damnation for Beginners by Alan Campbell. I haven't read any of the other Deepgate Codex books, but I thought this novella was a fun read. From the satirical beauracracy of the bank the main character works for to the rules set up for hell, I thought it was inventive and smart. The clarity of writing was a big benefit. Things could have gotten really confusing regarding the set-up of the worlds Campbell plays in, but at no point was I lost or felt like I had needed to read the other books in the series to get a handle on things. I will definetely be tracking down the other books in the series.

Comment

For anyone who has read Embassytown by Mieville - Did you find this hard to read? I am 25% through, but for me at least, this is kind of a hard read. Feels like I understand the characters more than the story, but yet I don't see where or how the story is going????

Comment

For me, the key to understanding the story was getting a handle on the way it was structured: Formerly, Latterday and Present Day chapters. Every Mieville story has a period of adjustment to it's unique structure and rhythm. If I remember correctly, around the halfway point, the formerly and latterday end and you are soley in the present. But the society described is bizarre to say the least. The focus is on how language is used and misused. Any Mieville work is challenging. But this is one of my favorite Sci-fi works. Of course, I'm known for some unconventional likes and dislikes in literature. I hope you'll stick it out.
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I noticed that about the chapters. I like the way you can visualize the different beings and such, but maybe it's the structure that is throwing me off. I am for sure going to keep at it, and hopefully be able/want to finish it. My wife asked me yesterday how I liked it, and my response was that is was weird. She then said something like "Yah, what's with all the weird shit that you like"

Comment

Read "Panzer Spirit" by Tom Townsend a schlocky horror book from the 80's. When I saw that it was about an evil Jagdpanther(tank on the cover is wrong, nor is there a ghostly commander) on a rampage in modern times. I was pretty excited since I am such a buff of German Panzers. Sadly pretty lame. The gist of the story is that it was forged out of Elven metal and was impervious to damage from ordinary weapons.

panzer_spirit.jpg
            Last edited by paperdragon; 06-10-2013, 06:14 PM.
            If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

Brain Cheese Buffet, what can you say about Ed Lee that hasn't already been said. Solid and disturbing stories that just make you salivate for more. I absolutely love this cover by Alan Clark. I studied the brain trees trying to figure out some way to make me one.

edleestorycollection5.jpg
              Last edited by paperdragon; 06-10-2013, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paperdragon View Post
                Brain Cheese Buffet, what can you say about Ed Lee that hasn't already been said. Solid and disturbing stories that just make you salivate for more. I absolutely love this cover by Alan Clark. I studied the brain trees trying to figure out some way to make me one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12767[/ATTACH]
                That's one of my favorite horror collections of all time, so brutal!

Comment

That is one I have to get my hands on one of these days. That cover is pretty sweet too.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                    For anyone who has read Embassytown by Mieville - Did you find this hard to read? I am 25% through, but for me at least, this is kind of a hard read. Feels like I understand the characters more than the story, but yet I don't see where or how the story is going????
                    I agree with Squire. It takes a bit to get into but once you get to the present time it flows. And yes I found it a bit challenging at first.

Comment

Finished Joyland. Rated it 3/5 on GR.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13596166-joyland?ac=1

The Floors (2nd draft) by Lucian Poll will be next. Of course The Dark Man ARC arrives tommorrow...
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Currently reading an ARC of Joe Lansdale's "The Thicket". He is such a master story teller nobody tells a Texas tall tale like Joe, I was hooked from the first paragraph. Its been hard to put it down and go to work the last couple of mornings. Here is a blurb about it.

Jack Parker thought he'd already seen his fair share of tragedy. His grandmother was killed in a farm accident when he was barely five years old. His parents have just succumbed to the smallpox epidemic sweeping turn-of-the-century East Texas--orphaning him and his younger sister, Lula.

Then catastrophe strikes on the way to their uncle's farm, when a traveling group of bank-robbing bandits murder Jack's grandfather and kidnap his sister. With no elders left for miles, Jack must grow up fast and enlist a band of heroes the likes of which has never been seen if his sister stands any chance at survival. But the best he can come up with is a charismatic, bounty-hunting dwarf named Shorty, a grave-digging son of an ex-slave named Eustace, a giant pig named pig, and a street-smart woman-for-hire named Jimmie Sue who's come into some very intimate knowledge about the bandits (and a few members of Jack's extended family to boot)

9780316188456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Comment

I like your review. I completely forgot about the political statement, though I remember reading it a couple times because I felt how out of place it was.

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                          Finished Joyland. Rated it 3/5 on GR.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13596166-joyland?ac=1

The Floors (2nd draft) by Lucian Poll will be next. Of course The Dark Man ARC arrives tommorrow...

Comment

Nice! Sounds like a good read. Where did you find this one?

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                              Nice! Sounds like a good read. Where did you find this one?
                              I picked it up off ebay $20 but have seen a couple others a little cheaper. They have all been buy it nows and don't last long. The regular edition is out in September 10th, if you order now its $15.81 for a hardcover from Amazon or Barnes and Noble

Comment

Took a short time to read The Dark Man ARC. I read it aloud in the most dark and sinister voice I could muster. I lingered over Glenn's illustrations and was blown away.

This is like a special addendum to the SoD set. Magnificent.

On to The Floors.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X