No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, another rule I was taught to follow as an English Literature major was to never assume that something is a mistake; give the author the benefit of the doubt, let it play out. Shortly thereafter, I learned about the unreliable narrator conceit.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

There's a mistake in Hell Hollow that I noticed when I read it; it didn't make any sense to take it as intentional, so I chalked it up to an oversight by the editor. I don't have the book with me (I'm at work), but I believe it's on either page 163 or 169; a character's name is "Chuck" and it's written as "Chick".
      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I've been working my way through some ebooks on my new Kindle. Just finished up Draculas by Wilson, Konrath, and Crouch, then went through Endurance, Origin, Disturb, and Horror Stories all by Konrath. I also managed to squeeze in Bleed by Ed Kurtz. Now back to physical books for a while...
        Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
          There's a mistake in Hell Hollow that I noticed when I read it; it didn't make any sense to take it as intentional, so I chalked it up to an oversight by the editor. I don't have the book with me (I'm at work), but I believe it's on either page 163 or 169; a character's name is "Chuck" and it's written as "Chick".

I just started that earlier, I'll have to look for it.

Comment

Finished Mr. shivers it was ok.Then read fear me by tim curran.That was a great novella.Now reading Bryan smiths Bloodrush.So far so good.This and fear me are also
            from delirium books.I joined the 2012 book club they offered last year and picked up 5 other books from them.The books are all hard cover and are smaller then a
            paperback books. . all are signed and limited to 150 copies.You can get the digital books through there web site.dark fuse.So far I am really happy with them.

Comment

Finished 11/22/63. Not my favorite of King's books. I was very disappointed in it. In fact, when I was asked by someone who saw me toting it around if it was worth reading, I told her "No," as much as it pained me.

Here are my reasons, if you are interested. There are spoilers in here and if you plan to read it at all, I urge you to not go further.

Spoiler!

Next up is Samson and Denial by Robert Ford. Never read anything by him, but Paul at Thunderstorm Books sent it to me free of charge.

BTW, I don't regret travelling to Dallas to see King converse about the book and I don't regret buying another trade HC so I don't finger and thumb my signed copy. I don't regret reading it either.
              Last edited by srboone; 01-21-2012, 09:51 AM. Reason: BTW
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Finished 11/22/63. Not my favorite of King's books. I was very disappointed in it. In fact, when I was asked by someone who saw me toting it around if it was worth reading, I told her "No," as much as it pained me.

Here are my reasons, if you are interested.
                That's interesting, as I've come to understand that the majority of "King fans" think this is one of the better books from what they call the "New King" books.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I don't know what "New King" books are; and besides, this is just one man's opinion. The possibility exists that I could be wrong, but possibility and probablity are two different things.

Afterthought: If "New King" means "21st-century King," then From a Buick 8 and Lisey's Story would be the best "New King" books (with 1922 close behind).
                  Last edited by srboone; 01-21-2012, 06:13 AM. Reason: Afterthought:
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

After struggling the last three months to find a decent read, I've just finished two fantastic books that I highly recommend: John R Little's chapbook SARAH'S STORY and Kurt Newton's serial killer with brains, THE BRAINPAN CONCERTO.

Hopefully my luck will continue with Michael McBride's BLINDSPOT. I'm only a few pages in and I'm hooked already.

Jan
                    Not enough books . . . . . just too little time.

Comment

I don't know what "New King" books are; and besides, this is just one man's opinion. The possibility exists that I could be wrong, but possibility and probablity are two different things.

Afterthought: If "New King" means "21st-century King," then From a Buick 8 and Lisey's Story would be the best "New King" books (with 1922 close behind).
                      I think "New King" refers to post accident. As most people I've talked to feel his style dramatically changed afterwards. I don't personally know though, as I've only read the DT series and haven't really had the time to branch out yet.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                        I think "New King" refers to post accident. As most people I've talked to feel his style dramatically changed afterwards. I don't personally know though, as I've only read the DT series and haven't really had the time to branch out yet.
                        That's interesting. I've heard the term "New King" before but wasn't sure what it meant. I don't think it was the accident though; even before that most of his books weren't that great, besides, once you reach a certain age you're creativity starts to vanish and I think that happened to King a long time ago. But not all of it since I really liked FDNS and some others he's done recently. Well, now that I think about it, getting hit by a van like that would probably change you're way of thinking. I mean, to escape death like he did.

Comment

Yea I don't know, like I said I'm mostly just repeating knowledge I've picked up elsewhere.

Instagram

Comment

But it must be true...don't know what else it could possibly refer to.

Comment

Dreamcatcher was his rehabilitation novel; it was definitely one of his grimmest and nastiest; the original title of the book was Cancer--Tabby nixed that. All four buddies in DC had horrible things happen to them and had wished for death at one point. And the one that survived was the one who actively pursued death. The accident also made him think seriously about completing the DT saga--some say that he rushed it. And, of course, 11/22/63 can be seen as a quest to cheat death (I couldn't help but think of it as King's take on the Final Destination franchise.) But Lisey's Story stands out as a life-affirming love story in his post van-tackling carreer. But I don't know about a style change in his works.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Shivers I, at the last story now.Then on to Shivers II. Great stuff!

Any plans for Shivers VII yet??

Comment

Working...
                                X