No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not read UTD yet or 11/22/63.I plan on rereading the bachman books this year.The first 4.I really liked Duma Key.I work with adults with tramatic brain injury
    and King hit the mark inthe first part of the book.Rose Madder was good.I thought it held up better then I thought it would.

Comment

The Long Walk is one of my favorites. I loved both UTD and 112263, but UTD had a weak ending, IMO.
      FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

I thought that 'The Longwalk' was a great read. At the moment i am onto 'Sacrifice' by John Farris and it's really got me hooked!

Comment

Like most people (I think) "The Long Walk" is my favorite Bachman book.
          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

The Long Walk is also my favorite Bachman book, I would put Rage as number 2.
            Originally posted by TerryE View Post

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
              I really like Gerald's Game. I remember when it came out, the NOW was pissed off because the book was praised for reaching and exposing the inner core of the "modern" woman who fights to maintain her own identity in a male-dominated society--AND IT WAS WRITTEN A MAN--STEPHEN KING, TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE!!! LMAO over that one. Reread it last year, and it still holds up well.
              I remember reading the first 30 pages or so then quitting like I did with Delores Clairborne (sp?). And I don't like it when a male author starts with all this feminist stuff. Maybe 50 years ago when it was still relevant, but not in this day and age. But like it or not, every nation on earth is a male dominated society, it's just the way it is for whatever reason. You'd think after women were given the right to vote, there'd be at least half the politicians in this country that were women, but nope, probably not even a total of 5-10%. But maybe I should read that one again.

But I don't think any of you guys brought up Needful Things. What did ya think of that one? It's not going to matter how many rotten books King writes, they'll automatically be published. Even if he wrote a book with 2 sentences it'd be published and a couple million people would buy it LOL. I'm at the point now where I can't even remember what King books I read and what I didn't. I need to force myself through more than 30 pages on a lot of books but like I've said before here, I have trouble with horror novels but no trouble with non-horror. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                I can't even remember that one. I know I read it but my favorite was RAGE.

Comment

For whatever reason the feminist aspects of Gerald's Game and Delores Claiborne were never an issue for me, I simply liked the stories. I can't say the same for Rose Madder, that one had the feeling of trying to make a subtle point with a sledge hammer. I finished the book but did not enjoy it.

Needful Things is near the bottom of my King list. Not a bad story, but not one I would read again.
                  Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                  I remember reading the first 30 pages or so then quitting like I did with Delores Clairborne (sp?). And I don't like it when a male author starts with all this feminist stuff. Maybe 50 years ago when it was still relevant, but not in this day and age. But like it or not, every nation on earth is a male dominated society, it's just the way it is for whatever reason. You'd think after women were given the right to vote, there'd be at least half the politicians in this country that were women, but nope, probably not even a total of 5-10%. But maybe I should read that one again.

But I don't think any of you guys brought up Needful Things. What did ya think of that one? It's not going to matter how many rotten books King writes, they'll automatically be published. Even if he wrote a book with 2 sentences it'd be published and a couple million people would buy it LOL. I'm at the point now where I can't even remember what King books I read and what I didn't. I need to force myself through more than 30 pages on a lot of books but like I've said before here, I have trouble with horror novels but no trouble with non-horror. Weird.

Comment

Martin, I'm right there with you in regards to Gerald's Game, Dolores Claiborne, and Rose Madder. I still think that Dolores Claiborne has one of the best uses of "voice" I've ever read. From the first sentence, I heard that woman speaking and it didn't change the whole way through. That was also my favorite thing about From a Buick 8. Each narrator had a distinct voice and point of view, and all were very well used.

I really like Needful Things, and remember reading the las 1/4 of the book in 1 marathon Saturday reading. And it's not often that I've done that.
                    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

It's been 20 years since I've read Needful Things, and I don't remember too much about it, other than I remember thinking it was Our Town on crack (maybe that was from the afterword); Over the years, it became a book that slowly slid down the list of favorite SKs for me; maybe I'll do a reread on it.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

So, basically, you're buying the King's for resale value rather than for the ripping yarns they are?

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
                          So, basically, you're buying the King's for resale value rather than for the ripping yarns they are?
                          Yeah, pretty much lol. But not really. I do enjoy looking at them and how beautiful they truly are. But doesn't everyone who buys something collectible think of one day selling them or passing it down to their kids? That's what I will do with my daughters.
                          I would only sell some (never all) if I had a real emergency and needed the money.

Comment

Yeah, pretty much lol. But not really. I do enjoy looking at them and how beautiful they truly are. But doesn't everyone who buys something collectible think of one day selling them or passing it down to their kids? That's what I will do with my daughters.
                            I would only sell some (never all) if I had a real emergency and needed the money.
                            See what you're saying Scott, and, yep, the collectibles I have are primarily for passing along down the family line when I carc it. Having said that, I have read all of King's stuff (either by way of "reading" copies of the books or by Kindle) and only collect collectibles from those authors that I really enjoy (Koontz, Lee, Ketchum, etc) I couldn't see myself collecting books by an author that I don't read though - but, that's just me I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
                              See what you're saying Scott, and, yep, the collectibles I have are primarily for passing along down the family line when I carc it. Having said that, I have read all of King's stuff (either by way of "reading" copies of the books or by Kindle) and only collect collectibles from those authors that I really enjoy (Koontz, Lee, Ketchum, etc) I couldn't see myself collecting books by an author that I don't read though - but, that's just me I suppose
                              Really Grant? You wouldn't buy any collectible books by guys you don't really like? I think King is pretty good, but not the best horror writer, and I mean around nowadays, certainly not of all time (Poe and Lovecraft would be the two greatest especially Poe IMO). I also think Barker has written some excellent books, especially The Damnation Game and Weaveworld......gonna get me a copy of the latter in a limited edition

And I've always liked Koontz but his books don't seem worth much, neither do most Ketchum or Garton books, two of my favorites. I also like Clegg a lot and have some limiteds by him, but now I just decided to buy the UK limited of Under the Dome simply because I don't have any UK limiteds of any author.

Comment

That's right Scott - whilst I read a whole lot of books by a whole bunch of authors, I only collect those where the tales that are told resonate with me - at some level.

Nice score on the UK UTD Limited, it's a nice volume

Comment

Working...
                                X