What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    I'm actually hoping I pick up the 2nd title in the grab bag I just bought. Fingers crossed!!
    Please let us know what you get in that haul. I want to see what I missed because I'm masochistic.
    Last edited by jeffingoff; 03-15-2018, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      ...because I'm masochistic.
      To help you with that, please use my address for all of your future book shipments. And don't order any crappy titles!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
        I'm actually hoping I pick up the 2nd title in the grab bag I just bought. Fingers crossed!!
        I'll cross mine for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
          To help you with that, please use my address for all of your future book shipments. And don't order any crappy titles!!
          You're getting nothing but Bentley Little YA novels.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
            You're getting nothing but Bentley Little YA novels.
            SWEET!!!!

Comment

I finished reading the second Lone Ranger novel Killer Round-Up by Fran Striker in The Lone Ranger #2 and now I'm starting The Very Best Of Dick Tracy: Bullets, Battles & Bad Guys by Chester Gould.

Cap
              Last edited by c marvel; 03-23-2018, 05:41 AM. Reason: Changed my mind about which book to read.
              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

While not something I'm currently reading, yesterday I finished my first reading of an Ursula K Le Guin book - The Dispossessed.

I hadn't ever read anything by her, and I was aware of her before she passed away, but her passing put her back in the spotlight (which explains why Amazon was out of stock on a number of her books, and the library had long hold lists.)

Here's the review I posted on Goodreads:

I had a semi-difficult time reading this. I’m not sure if it’s the author or the language used. Heck it may even just be the story.

Right up until the end, this was going to be a solid two stars, but then I read the study guide by Paul Brians (from WSU - I wonder if he likes Cougar Gold Cheese?) I got a better feeling from the book.

I almost wish that I read the study guide first. I feel like I would have had a better feel for how this book would read.

Maybe I'm not cut out for some of the classics . . . another classic "must read" author that I read - and struggled with like crazy (even more than The Last Unicorn,) was Jack Vance. I tried!

Right now I just started The Sandman by Lars Kepler. I saw something on Twitter about this, so I pre-ordered it (and then promptly saw the authors were in Seattle the next day, but I couldn't change my schedule up enough in time to get there.) So far it's okay. It starts off really good but my only complaint really so far is that while the chapters are super short (which is good because there's 181 chapters in this book!) I think because they're so short it never feels like the story gets going. Lots of starts and stops (because, let's face it, they're only 2-3 pages long.) But it'll make good airplane reading I think (and oh look - I'm on an airplane tomorrow!)

After this one, I'm going to finally start on McCammon's The Listener.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                  While not something I'm currently reading, yesterday I finished my first reading of an Ursula K Le Guin book - The Dispossessed.

I hadn't ever read anything by her, and I was aware of her before she passed away, but her passing put her back in the spotlight (which explains why Amazon was out of stock on a number of her books, and the library had long hold lists.)

Here's the review I posted on Goodreads:

I had a semi-difficult time reading this. I’m not sure if it’s the author or the language used. Heck it may even just be the story.

Right up until the end, this was going to be a solid two stars, but then I read the study guide by Paul Brians (from WSU - I wonder if he likes Cougar Gold Cheese?) I got a better feeling from the book.

I almost wish that I read the study guide first. I feel like I would have had a better feel for how this book would read.

Maybe I'm not cut out for some of the classics . . . another classic "must read" author that I read - and struggled with like crazy (even more than The Last Unicorn,) was Jack Vance. I tried!

Right now I just started The Sandman by Lars Kepler. I saw something on Twitter about this, so I pre-ordered it (and then promptly saw the authors were in Seattle the next day, but I couldn't change my schedule up enough in time to get there.) So far it's okay. It starts off really good but my only complaint really so far is that while the chapters are super short (which is good because there's 181 chapters in this book!) I think because they're so short it never feels like the story gets going. Lots of starts and stops (because, let's face it, they're only 2-3 pages long.) But it'll make good airplane reading I think (and oh look - I'm on an airplane tomorrow!)

After this one, I'm going to finally start on McCammon's The Listener.
                  Oh come on man, everyone likes Cougar Gold Cheese! Well maybe a couple of people at UW don't but they don't count.
                  Last edited by Martin; 03-17-2018, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Even UW people enjoy Cougar Gold even if they won't admit to it or consume it in public.

(That reminds me - I make a darn good batch of beer cheese potato soup using Cougar Gold - I didn't make this is past October . . . it's still soup season, right?)

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    Oh come on man, everyone likes Cougar Gold Cheese! Well maybe a couple of people at UW don't they don't count.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                      Even UW people enjoy Cougar Gold even if they won't admit to it or consume it in public.

(That reminds me - I make a darn good batch of beer cheese potato soup using Cougar Gold - I didn't make this is past October . . . it's still soup season, right?)
                      I am guessing that soup is always in season!

Comment

Tis the season. Reading a collection of Easter themed Horror stories. Pretty good so far. Getting to know some new writers through this collection.

Comment

Just starting The Sparrow - Mary Doria Russell

Heard tons of great reviews, and the story seems to be something I feel I will be very interested in.

Comment

I dunno if I posted that I finally finished American Gods. I'm really not sure that book is for me. I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't love it, and it's made me less interested in reading other of his books. I'm mostly just not sure the payoff at the end was worth the trip there. I may read his "Norse Mythology" book that came out last year though. That should at the very least be less "meandering".
                            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I finished The Very Best Of Dick Tracy: Bullets, Battles & Bad Guys by Chester Gould. I also read Dr. Jekyll & Mr Hyde and Other Stories by R. L. Stevenson (The other stories were Will O’ the Mill and Franchard) and Dick Tracy: The Collins Casefiles Volume 2 by Max Allan Collins and Rick Fletcher. Now I'm starting The Green Man-Tales from the Mythic Forest edited by Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling.

Cap
                              Last edited by c marvel; 04-19-2018, 08:27 AM.
                              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                                I dunno if I posted that I finally finished American Gods. I'm really not sure that book is for me. I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't love it, and it's made me less interested in reading other of his books. I'm mostly just not sure the payoff at the end was worth the trip there. I may read his "Norse Mythology" book that came out last year though. That should at the very least be less "meandering".
                                I think I've said it before, I was excited about the premise of AG but it didn't work for me.

Norse Mythology was another one that didn't work very well for me - had a really hard time reading it and I think it was because of the language, because I heard Neil read one of the stories aloud at an event, and I LOVED it. I think he needs to record the audio version (he's a great audio story teller.)

Give Ocean at the End of the Lane a try - it's a short read and is pretty much perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                X