What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srboone View Post
    Took a short time to read The Dark Man ARC. I read it aloud in the most dark and sinister voice I could muster. I lingered over Glenn's illustrations and was blown away.

This is like a special addendum to the SoD set. Magnificent.

On to The Floors.
    Glad you liked it.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

... The Floors (2nd draft) by Lucian Poll will be next.
      Thanks, Squire. I hope you like it.

I've got the last 80 pages of The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack to finish tonight. I found my copy to be a first edition, which surprised me. I'll have to pop it on the collectors thread. Alas, the book suffers from a number of formatting issues and typos - I don't know if such things are more likely in first editions.

At this late stage I can't see the story convincing many into the steampunk/alternative history camp, but it's a fun ride all the same, and a decent stab at wrapping a story around the legend of Spring-Heeled Jack.
      The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
      Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
      ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Took a short time to read The Dark Man ARC. I read it aloud in the most dark and sinister voice I could muster.
        Your approach to reading this was great
        If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

Thanks. It was a trick I learned in college when I started reading classics (including poetry.) Sometimes, passages make more sense when you hear them, as opposed to simply reading them. I highly recommend that style for The Dark Man.
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I'm coming near the end of William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist. It's quite the riveting read, I was surprised how addictive it is once you get into it, especially considering I know the majority of the story from seeing the movie. Honestly the book feels more shocking than the movie did.

I am also about half way through Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla. I was planning on reading the whole of In a Glass Darkly, but said screw it and started with Carmilla. I'll get back the other stories at some point.

Comment

For the record, I will say the Embassytown is kind of a hard read. I think I am finally into the parts that are chaptered as Latterday and Formerly. Staring Part 4 Addict now.

Comment

I finished The Exorcist off. It was a damn enjoyable read.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
                  I like your review. I completely forgot about the political statement, though I remember reading it a couple times because I felt how out of place it was.
                  Agreed. I know he was trying to compare then and now, but yeah, what he put really seemed to come out of left field and just didn't work in the overall scheme of things.

Comment

Have to say, loved The Dark Man - great job guys!!!!

Today, I decided to start The Caspak Trilogy by Edgar Rice Burroughs - first story is The Land That Time Forgot. This is on my Kobo. I'm curious to see how I take to this author/series - this originally published in 1918. My Dad used to have a huge collection of his works (along with Asimov and Clarke), but lost it when his basement flooded a few years ago.

Comment

I'm starting Bumper Crop by Lansdale. It should be a quick read, I love his work.

Comment

Finally finished "Swan Song". I give it a solid, "eh". Aside from it being long and post-apocalyptic, I don't see why people ever mention it in the same breath as "The Stand".

Until, I get my copy of "Ocean at the End of the Lane", on Friday, I'm reading stories from Jonathan Carroll's "The Woman Who Married a Cloud: The Collected Short Stories". I missed the chance to buy the limited edition hardback last year, but found it for the Kindle. I'm on the second story, and both have been impressive.
                        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

First time around on SK's Bag of Bones. Absolutely lovin' it!

Comment

Doing a reread of Pet Sematary. After 30 years you tend to forget specifics of books. Creepier than I remembered.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Haven't updated what I am reading in a while so here are my recent reads ( I am sure I will forget something.) Loved Joyland, the narrative stile reminded me of The Green Mile. Brian James Fremman's Dreamlike states is a spectacular collection, I would not hesitate to order this one when it is announced! I am about half way through World War Z and the jury is still out on this one. At first I liked the telling of several stories about the Zombie War, but I am ready for him to pick a story and stick with it for a while. I will see how I feel by the end.
                              Last edited by Martin; 06-24-2013, 02:25 PM.

Comment

He'll pick a story on page 273. Much too late to rescue the book for me, though.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X