What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    A LITTLE GREEN BOOK OF GRINS & GRAVITY, by Ramsey Campbell- File this under "They have a lot of nerve publishing this." I'm not a big fan of trunk novels, and unfinished trunk novels get even less love from me. This is just a ridiculous thing to publish and charge thirty bucks for, one of those books where everyone calls everyone else by their full name. "Excuse me, John Smith." "Yes, Colin Perberbottom, just let me finish talking to John Umperpooper, and then I'll take you to see Lady Featherington!" (I joke, but the real book reads exactly like that.) I'm finishing this out of spite. (Spiting myself for buying this.)
    Well, that bums me out. Like Jeff, I was looking forward to the Campbell book. I wasn’t expecting a masterpiece, but was hoping for something good. Heck, the guy’s so prolific, I’m sure he could have knocked out three new stories over a long weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      I enjoyed it and thought it was a good read. For me it was okay for an SK novel but an above average read compared to others authors I've read lately.

I do agree with you Brian. Duma Key was amazing. 11/22/63 gave me a little of those old SK thrills as well.
      I really enjoyed 11/22/63 as well as Joyland.

Comment

Woot. Really good read.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
        I really enjoyed 11/22/63 as well as Joyland.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I also enjoyed Joyland! Just finished Fever By Deon Meyer, liked it a lot. Next up, the third book in the Blood and Bone trilogy by John Gwynne, A Time of Courage.
          Last edited by mhatchett; 04-29-2020, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Started BEDEVILED by Thomas Cullinan (Centipede Press HC reprint).
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Finished the last book in Joe Lansdale's Ned the Seal trilogy, ""The Sky Done Ripped". While this series will never hold a candle to Lansdale's best work, it was zany fun nonetheless. I really enjoy the character of Ned the Seal and found myself laughing out loud at various points in each book. The dialogue in these books is insane and quite funny. Have now started King's "If It Bleeds". Have only finished the first two stories so far, but, boy were they good!

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                Finished the last book in Joe Lansdale's Ned the Seal trilogy, ""The Sky Done Ripped". While this series will never hold a candle to Lansdale's best work, it was zany fun nonetheless. I really enjoy the character of Ned the Seal and found myself laughing out loud at various points in each book. The dialogue in these books is insane and quite funny. Have now started King's "If It Bleeds". Have only finished the first two stories so far, but, boy were they good!
                The more I think back on Mr. Harrigan's Phone, the more I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                  Started BEDEVILED by Thomas Cullinan (Centipede Press HC reprint).
                  Eh, this one wasn't my favorite vintage reprint by Centipede (and Valancourt did a tpb edition as well). It had some good qualities and I can understand why both publishers felt it deserved revisiting by modern readers, but ultimately it just felt like it missed the mark on several levels...like it wasn't quite as good as it could've/should've been. I'd need to ruminate a bit more (just finished it late last night) to figure out where exactly it fell short, but that's the general feeling I came away with.

My next read is another Centipede HC...the new Steve Tem collection, THE NIGHT DOCTOR AND OTHER TALES.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I'm currently about halfway through The Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. While technically one of my wife's books, it sounded interesting to me. So far it's going good. First time I've read this author.

Even though I don't usually plan my next read, I have flagged S. Craig Zahler's debut - A Congregation of Jackals - as my next read. I was so impressed with his first two films, and when I discovered he was also an author, I ordered this one. Western Horror - sounds interesting.

Comment

So several people have mentioned Jeff Strand on this forum. I realized I had a Cemetery Dance Novella ARC from Mr. Strand in my TBR pile. I am about half way through Cold Dead Hands and am absolutely loving it. Looked at the CD website to see if there were still copies of the Signed edition available. It appears that this one has not yet been released. This is my first Jeff Strand read, based on the first half of the book it will not be my last.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                        So several people have mentioned Jeff Strand on this forum. I realized I had a Cemetery Dance Novella ARC from Mr. Strand in my TBR pile. I am about half way through Cold Dead Hands and am absolutely loving it. Looked at the CD website to see if there were still copies of the Signed edition available. It appears that this one has not yet been released. This is my first Jeff Strand read, based on the first half of the book it will not be my last.
                        I listened to the first 2 Wolf Hunts. I loved them - lots of laughs and a good suspenseful story to keep them ticking along. I intend to read more of his work.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                          I listened to the first 2 Wolf Hunts. I loved them - lots of laughs and a good suspenseful story to keep them ticking along. I intend to read more of his work.
                          I LOVED his short story in Hark! The Herald Angels Scream! It was so funny and dark. I also read Pressure and I didn't like it. The humor was gone and the characters weren't developed enough. I didn't get pulled in even though the beginning was fantastic. But I bought the Jeff Strand collection in the CD Select Series (which is not released yet). And if I had the rosy employment outlook from two months ago, I'd hunt down the Wolf Hunt series. I definitely want to read more Strand.

Psst, Dan and BJF, can you make Cold Dead Hands one of the books in either the Book Club I bought into in 2016 or the Forthcoming Grab bag I bought into in 2018?? That would be sweeeeet.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                            I LOVED his short story in Hark! The Herald Angels Scream! It was so funny and dark. I also read Pressure and I didn't like it. The humor was gone and the characters weren't developed enough. I didn't get pulled in even though the beginning was fantastic. But I bought the Jeff Strand collection in the CD Select Series (which is not released yet). And if I had the rosy employment outlook from two months ago, I'd hunt down the Wolf Hunt series. I definitely want to read more Strand.

Psst, Dan and BJF, can you make Cold Dead Hands one of the books in either the Book Club I bought into in 2016 or the Forthcoming Grab bag I bought into in 2018?? That would be sweeeeet.
                            I read Hark! The Herald Angels Scream! and remember enjoying it. With the joy of getting old I am not able to recall any specific stories in the book. I know one of the Cemetery Dance Select books is from him so I have that one coming. I am down to the last chapter of Cold Dead Hands and may read it on lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                              I think Wolf Hunt were some of the stories I remember being mentioned. I will be looking for more from Mr. Strand and may start there.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                                I'm currently about halfway through The Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. While technically one of my wife's books, it sounded interesting to me. So far it's going good. First time I've read this author.

Even though I don't usually plan my next read, I have flagged S. Craig Zahler's debut - A Congregation of Jackals - as my next read. I was so impressed with his first two films, and when I discovered he was also an author, I ordered this one. Western Horror - sounds interesting.
                                I loved The Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. This book worked for me on many levels: setting, characters, atmosphere. I am really looking forward to the next one in this potential series. I also had never read anything by the author beforehand. From what I gather, this was her first foray into adult novels versus here usual YA stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X