Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I actually read Offspring before reading Off Season and I thought Offspring was the better book. There was more nuance to Offspring and more social commentary added to the shock and horror we read in Off Season. It was definitely a welcome progression (if read in the chronological order, of course) so I had high hopes for The Woman. But it went too far with the social commentary--beating the readers over the head with the point of the series (which in my mind is to demonstrate the meaning of savage and point out how we are not nearly as civilized as we like to believe or, at the very least, that civilization is just a mask we wear when it suits our needs but all to easily discarded when it conflicts with our lusts). If The Woman would have made the commentary serve the story and not the other way around, it could have been a very welcome close to the trilogy. But the baddie in that book (not the woman) was too cartoonishly bad.
    That's what I was afraid of with the movie adaptation of The Woman and why I stayed away. Maybe if I go in with lowered expectations with the book, I'll be pleasantly surprised...

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      I remember the crack down as well. I don't think that Off Season is the worst of their problems. I believe Dreams From the Witch House has had significant delays, I believe prompting the crack down. Honestly, there are so many variables that go into the productions of these volumes from signature sheets to binders to separate slipcase/traycase makers that things often going awry doesn't surprise me. Transparency with customers is always the best policy and Dark Regions has gotten better with that.

As far as shade being thrown on CD, that happens quite a bit, unfortunately. Most small presses run into delays, even the best ones. I think the main sticking point is the long wait after preorders. CD has ALWAYS done right by me, so I don't mind the wait.

Yeah, if you're a collector who jumps on preorders, then you have to have patience. I completely understand the delays. I don't want my long-term collectible to be rushed if it means a sloppy production or errors. So I'm not mad (too much) when things get delayed--but I can be impatient.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        My recent arrival is more modest: Ketchum's GoRILLA IN MY ROOM from CD's recent half-off sale. Looking forward to it...for whatever reason, I haven't been much interested in his Lucky McKee collaborations, so I don't think I've read a new Ketchum book since 2011's THE CROSSINGS (if one doesn't count the reprint-rich LITTLE BOOK).
        ...and this one came today:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Nice! I need to add more Lansdale to my collection.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
            Yeah, if you're a collector who jumps on preorders, then you have to have patience. I completely understand the delays. I don't want my long-term collectible to be rushed if it means a sloppy production or errors. So I'm not mad (too much) when things get delayed--but I can be impatient.
            I get more impatient for preorders to open up than I do for the book to arrive. Once I know I got my copy secured, I can usually just ride the tide. I’m not saying it’s always smooth sailing, but I don’t usually let it bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              I get more impatient for preorders to open up than I do for the book to arrive. Once I know I got my copy secured, I can usually just ride the tide. I’m not saying it’s always smooth sailing, but I don’t usually let it bother me.
              That's exactly it.

Comment

Very, very nice... would be interested to hear your feedback on that anthology, as it has crossed my radar a time or two, but I didn't pull the trigger on it for much the same reason as you held off initially.

My recent arrival is more modest: Ketchum's GoRILLA IN MY ROOM from CD's recent half-off sale. Looking forward to it...for whatever reason, I haven't been much interested in his Lucky McKee collaborations, so I don't think I've read a new Ketchum book since 2011's THE CROSSINGS (if one doesn't count the reprint-rich LITTLE BOOK).
                Secret Life of Souls is one of the best books I have read this past year. No really horror but very well written. I think it's their best collaboration to date. And I liked The Woman and I'm Not Sam.

Comment

I love this cover. I didn't get this one. I love Lansdale but for some reason I am one of the few who didn't like the first book.

Comment

Really nice looking book!!

Comment

IMG_0808.jpg
                      And the Christmas Ghost stories keep coming LOL!! Folio Society, slip-cased, 2005.

Comment

Cool little book!

Comment

Hey Mike, if you have a chance would you be able to share the table of contents for Folio's Christmas Ghost Stories?

Comment

Absolutely!
                            IMG_0811.jpgIMG_0810.jpg

Comment

Very nice list, many there I recognize and a some I don't, like "Ex-Private X". I do like Folio editions, they're a nice edition for a good price.

Thanks Mike!

Comment

I liked it, but I wanted to love it. It wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. Did have it moments though. I'd definitely recommend it above Haven.

Comment

Working...
                                X