Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I grabbed the trade editions of the three CD McCammon books and the trade edition of the father son Chizmar book. All to go with my limiteds.
    There is a group on Facebook, Small Press Limited Book Collectors, that I have been following. Someone in that group posted about BookOutlet.com where I found and after reading some reviews purchased Grim Death And Bill The Electrocuted Criminal. It is an illustrated 1930s Pulp-style novel. At PaperbackSwap.com, I have an account there, I saw available and snagged Winds of Revolution: Time Frame AD 1700-1800 (Time Frame). I read the Time Frame series. With my PaperbackSwap account this was almost a freebie. I see there are now two books at CD Publications that I want. I am unsure if I'll take advantage of their 50% Black Friday offer.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Half off is a good deal though.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        No classic horror-boom pb fans? Ahh, you all don't know what you're missing...

Anybody pick up a CD book via their 50% Black Friday offer? I snagged a copy of Jack Ketchum's short-story collection GORILLA IN THE ROOM.
        Have not bought anything yet but still may.

Comment

This is actually the worst possible time to try to beef up your collection of old horror pbs; Grady's book has caused prices to jump due to all the Johnny-come-latelys.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
            This is actually the worst possible time to try to beef up your collection of old horror pbs; Grady's book has caused prices to jump due to all the Johnny-come-latelys.
            Yep, I'm finding that to be very true, unfortunately. Patience and luck will be my friends, I hope.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Anybody pick up a CD book via their 50% Black Friday offer?
              I grabbed the Backshot works from Gorman and Piccirilli, as well as Paul F. Olson's Whispered Echoes based on Kevin Lucia's recent write-up.
              “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
              -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I have to say, I wasn't as impressed with the Olson collection as I thought I'd be. The Backshot volumes are great, though.

Comment

I went with 2 of the McCammon books.

Comment

Speaking of Black Friday, I picked up a signed HC of READY PLAYER ONE during Barnes & Noble's Black Friday event. Lots of love for this book all over the web peppered with some post-hype scathing reviews of very consistent criticisms...but I threw caution to the wind and grabbed a copy. I go in with low expectations, but am hoping for the best. If I don't care for it, there are enough rabid fans out there that I shouldn't have any problem getting my money back on it via eBay...it already seems to be going for more there than cover price.

Anybody else grab a copy (or anything else, for that matter) from B&N's special signed books Black Friday sale?
                    Last edited by RonClinton; 11-28-2017, 06:25 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=RonClinton;87886]No classic horror-boom pb fans? Ahh, you all don't know what you're missing...

Anybody pick up a CD book via their 50% Black Friday offer?

I was quite tempted. The books I wanted-One just announced title, one new title I wasn't aware of at all and one title that I've wanted for a while. I have other things going on in my life presently which make buying more new books a low priority unless it's something special. Today, I went through the Jury Duty process. I just watched in the court room. I wasn't selected (or however you put it). I just had to show up. I'm hoping on my remaining days off, my regular days off, I can complete one course and get that out of my hair. If that happens, after that, things will go back to normal for me.

Cap
                      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Anybody else grab a copy (or anything else, for that matter) from B&N's special signed books Black Friday sale?
                        I picked up the signed Tom Hanks books, and John Hodgman book, and the one I REALLY REALLY wanted - the signed Bruce Dickinson book. \m/

Comment

I read the Grady Hendrix book, and I bet I have a lot of those books on my shelves in the attic. I used to buy any used horror novels I could find in the '80s, and bought a ton of new paperbacks in the '90s too.

Comment

Double booked myself last night and elected to see Andy Weir instead of watch my beloved Sounders destroy poor Houston to clinch their second straight Western Conference Championship trophy.

Approximately 600 people were here - by far the biggest signing I’ve attended at Third Place Books. I didn’t grab any pictures but they set up an airlock that you entered through and the stage had moon rocks complete with a window so you can watch the earth rise (which I learned technically doesn’t happen because the moon is locked to the earth.)

The first 30 minutes or so were a conversation between Andy and Neal Stephenson and then questions from the audience. We learned that Watney would be sorted into Hufflepuff and welders don’t return phone calls to authors wanting research.

The actual signing was very assembly line - no time to chat and no posed pictures.

Regardless I had a blast and while I regret missing the Sounders match, I watched the DVR recording when I got home.

355A5E46-6CA5-41CE-B7D3-87782E01364B.jpg
                            My big ol’ bald head

04649DC5-A76C-41FD-99CC-461A430C4F3A.jpg
                            Got my Sub Press edition of The Martian signed, along with the short story in Ready Player One, Laos from Sub Press, and of course Artemis.

Comment

A few additions!
                              IMG_0802.jpg

Comment

TD/Jason: I was there last night as well. It was, as you say, a huge gathering...other than King, it was by far the largest signing I've ever attended. The airlock entrance thing was cheesy but pretty neat...again, not anything like I've seen at a signing before. I think Neal Stephenson, who conducted the interview, needs to keep his day job as author, though...a skilled interviewer he's not. Speaking of Stephenson, I got one of the free posters, but handed it to the employee at the signing table to give to a more appreciative home. I didn't bring my S/L of THE MARTIAN (inscribing a S/L???...sacrilege, I say!), so only had my copy of ARTEMIS for him to sign (well, inscribe, actually, as I have the S/L of it on order). Seemed like a nice, smart guy filled with good humor...just like his books.

Comment

Working...
                                X