Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks interesting.

Comment

Love Valancourt...congrats on the volume.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Devil's Day.

Cap
        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I took advantage of Dark Region's recent 50% Off Sale and picked up the lettered edition of You, Human. I'm not a big science fiction fan, but since it is labeled as "dark" science fiction, I thought it might be more in my wheelhouse. The line up is fantastic: Richard Chizmar, Mort Castle, John R. Little, Thomas F. Monteleone, John Skipp, Josh Malerman and Stephen King to name a few.

I have a slipcased lettered edition (Bones Are Made To Be Broken) and a Ultra-Deluxe edition (Midnight Meat Train) from DRP, but hadn't yet seen any of their standard traycased editions in person yet and was pleasantly surprised. The traycase is solid and the leather binding on the book is very nice. I'm now even more excited for the lettered Off Season and Birdbox I have on order from them.

IMG_0850.jpgIMG_0851.jpgIMG_0853.jpg

Comment

More pictures of the lettered edition of You, Human:

IMG_0854.jpgIMG_0855.jpg
            IMG_0856.jpg
            IMG_0857.jpgIMG_0858.jpg

Comment

Very, very nice... would be interested to hear your feedback on that anthology, as it has crossed my radar a time or two, but I didn't pull the trigger on it for much the same reason as you held off initially.

My recent arrival is more modest: Ketchum's GoRILLA IN MY ROOM from CD's recent half-off sale. Looking forward to it...for whatever reason, I haven't been much interested in his Lucky McKee collaborations, so I don't think I've read a new Ketchum book since 2011's THE CROSSINGS (if one doesn't count the reprint-rich LITTLE BOOK).
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

That looks fantastic! Nice grab!

Also, I am happy to learn that you also haven't gotten your lettered edition of Off Season. It's not just me.

Comment

I'm hoping to dig into You, Human pretty soon and will let you know what I think.

I really need to pick up Gorilla In My Room. I keep putting it off, but I need to pull that darn trigger. I was initially dismayed when I heard about the contents of Ketchum's recent Little Book, but after giving it a shot, I really liked it. As far as his collaborations with Lucky McKee, I haven't yet read The Woman--though it's in my TBR pile--but I did rather like I'm Not Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    ...for whatever reason, I haven't been much interested in his Lucky McKee collaborations, so I don't think I've read a new Ketchum book since 2011's THE CROSSINGS (if one doesn't count the reprint-rich LITTLE BOOK).
                    I really didn't like The Woman. It was a deep step down from Offspring.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                      That looks fantastic! Nice grab!

Also, I am happy to learn that you also haven't gotten your lettered edition of Off Season. It's not just me.
                      Thanks! As far as Off Season, DRP's last production update on December 1st, states that they are hoping to be able to have these shipped by December 15. It looks like they are still at the binder.

Comment

Looks like a good production.

Comment

I really didn't like The Woman. It was a deep step down from Offspring.
                          That's disappointing to hear. I still haven't gotten around to Offspring. Kinda hoping there will be a new special edition coming out in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                            Thanks! As far as Off Season, DRP's last production update on December 1st, states that they are hoping to be able to have these shipped by December 15. It looks like they are still at the binder.
                            Yep, I saw that. But I've been hurt before. Hurt in the worst way that a first-world collector of expensive horror books can be hurt. In fact, worrying about my delayed shipment from DRP has caused me to almost pass on my afternoon lattes. Almost.

Seriously, though, I remember when DRP was going to crack down on publishing timelines (seemingly throwing some shade at CD) and then Off Season is delayed a few times totaling about 5 months.

Comment

Yep, I saw that. But I've been hurt before. Hurt in the worst way that a first-world collector of expensive horror books can be hurt. In fact, worrying about my delayed shipment from DRP has caused me to almost pass on my afternoon lattes. Almost.

Seriously, though, I remember when DRP was going to crack down on publishing timelines (seemingly throwing some shade at CD) and then Off Season is delayed a few times totaling about 5 months.
                              I remember the crack down as well. I don't think that Off Season is the worst of their problems. I believe Dreams From the Witch House has had significant delays, I believe prompting the crack down. Honestly, there are so many variables that go into the productions of these volumes from signature sheets to binders to separate slipcase/traycase makers that things often going awry doesn't surprise me. Transparency with customers is always the best policy and Dark Regions has gotten better with that.

As far as shade being thrown on CD, that happens quite a bit, unfortunately. Most small presses run into delays, even the best ones. I think the main sticking point is the long wait after preorders. CD has ALWAYS done right by me, so I don't mind the wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                                That's disappointing to hear. I still haven't gotten around to Offspring. Kinda hoping there will be a new special edition coming out in the future.
                                I actually read Offspring before reading Off Season and I thought Offspring was the better book. There was more nuance to Offspring and more social commentary added to the shock and horror we read in Off Season. It was definitely a welcome progression (if read in the chronological order, of course) so I had high hopes for The Woman. But it went too far with the social commentary--beating the readers over the head with the point of the series (which in my mind is to demonstrate the meaning of savage and point out how we are not nearly as civilized as we like to believe or, at the very least, that civilization is just a mask we wear when it suits our needs but all to easily discarded when it conflicts with our lusts). If The Woman would have made the commentary serve the story and not the other way around, it could have been a very welcome close to the trilogy. But the baddie in that book (not the woman) was too cartoonishly bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X