• Show
Clear All

Good stuff, Cap!

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
      Killing Ghost by Christopher Ransom
      The Dropper by Ron McClarty
      Dreamlike States by Brian James Freeman
      Horror Drive-In featuring Brian James Freeman, Ronald Malfi, Norman Prentiss, Bill Pronzini, Harry Shannon and Mark Sieber

The first two are trade hardcovers. I think I got an outstanding price for this lot of 4 CD books-very, very affordable and I especially liked getting the signed Brian James Freeman Dreamlike States.

Cap
      Great additions. I have all of those. I have not yet read Killing Ghost and The Dropper really did not work for me. Dreamlike States and Horror Drive-In are fantastic reads!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        Great additions. I have all of those. I have not yet read Killing Ghost and The Dropper really did not work for me. Dreamlike States and Horror Drive-In are fantastic reads!
        I think there are two more small books of Brian's that are short stories. I know for certain there is one more and I'd love to eventually get it. I've become a big fan of these smaller books like Weed Species by Jack Ketchum, Isis by Douglas Clegg, Wild Things: Four Tales by Douglas Clegg. I like some of the itty bitty novellas from Delirium Books/Darkfuse-especially the ones by Christopher Fulbright and Angeline Hawkes. All of these books to me are cool or special and keepers for sure.

Cap
        Last edited by c marvel; 09-05-2017, 07:38 AM.
        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
          I think there are two more small books of Brian's that are short stories. I know for certain there is one more and I'd love to eventually get it. I've become a big fan of these smaller books like Weed Species by Jack Ketchum, Isis by Douglas Clegg, Wild Things: Four Tales by Douglas Clegg. I like some of the itty bitty novellas from Darkfuse-especially the ones by Christopher Fulbright and Angeline Hawkes. All of these books to me are cool or special and keepers for sure.

Cap
          Yep. Weak and Wounded & More Than Midnight by BJF.

Comment

Just received the 2nd volume of the projected five book Seabury Quinn, The Complete Tales of Jules De Grandin series, by Night Shade Books. I haven't had a chance to read either book, Horror on the Links and The Devil's Rosary, but the production values look good, the cover art is really nice. My only complaint, and I know this doesn't or won't matter to some people, is that both volumes have the same introduction. I know lots of folks don't read intros, indeed, I read an article once that claimed intros are a waste of time for those that write them and those that take the time to read them. I disagree, but that's another forum entry LOL!! I think highlighting the career of Seabury Quin, WWI Vet and mainstay of Werid Tales for nearly 30 years, is a worthy project for Nightshade and I hope they fulfill the promise of the first two books. The second Volume does have a secondndary intro or maybe an Essay by Stefan Dziemianowicz, "Loved By Thousands of Readers: The Popularity of Jules de Grandin. If you haven't seen these books, I would recommend them.
            IMG_0798.jpg

Comment

Cool, Mike!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                Just received the 2nd volume of the projected five book Seabury Quinn, The Complete Tales of Jules De Grandin series, by Night Shade Books. I haven't had a chance to read either book, Horror on the Links and The Devil's Rosary, but the production values look good, the cover art is really nice. My only complaint, and I know this doesn't or won't matter to some people, is that both volumes have the same introduction. I know lots of folks don't read intros, indeed, I read an article once that claimed intros are a waste of time for those that write them and those that take the time to read them. I disagree, but that's another forum entry LOL!! I think highlighting the career of Seabury Quin, WWI Vet and mainstay of Werid Tales for nearly 30 years, is a worthy project for Nightshade and I hope they fulfill the promise of the first two books. The second Volume does have a secondndary intro or maybe an Essay by Stefan Dziemianowicz, "Loved By Thousands of Readers: The Popularity of Jules de Grandin. If you haven't seen these books, I would recommend them.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]19986[/ATTACH]
                Great pickup and I completely agree with you on introductions! I love introductions in books.

Comment

I'm collecting this Quinn series as well, though I haven't yet picked up the second volume that just came out. But I will. :-) I agree with you regarding the production quality of the books...they are truly handsome volumes.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I have the paperbacks that came out in the 70's, but this set is going to be great. Did youever see the Manly Wade Wellman set they did? beautiful!

Comment

Oh yes, I have the slipcased, hardcover set they did of Wellman's fiction. A beautiful set.

I did, however, skip the set they did of Hodgson's fiction. I've always kind of regretted that, though.

Comment

I passed as well, only so much cash in the wallet LOL!!

Comment

Bernard Taylor S/#d (matching) HC set, Centipede Press. John Collier, Tartarus Press HC.

[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            I finally got the package in Wednesday's mail. It was sent Media Mail. All of the books are cool. I did my research first and somehow missed seeing the Horror Drive-In chapbook was signed so that was neat to notice that after opening the package. The seller added a novelette-Whisper by Keith Blenman. I definitely got a good deal!

Cap
                            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                              Bernard Taylor S/#d (matching) HC set, Centipede Press. John Collier, Tartarus Press HC.

[/QUOTE]

I've been debating about the Bernard Taylor books. I really should just pull the trigger. I find that with Centipede Press, I wind up passing more than buying and almost always tend to regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I've been debating about the Bernard Taylor books. I really should just pull the trigger. I find that with Centipede Press, I wind up passing more than buying and almost always tend to regret it.
                                I was unsure about these when they were first announced even though I did want to read them, but when they were offered at $33 each for the set, it was a no-brainer for me. No surprise, as per Centipede's typical output, they're quite nice. That said, they are the "no frills" end of the Centipede spectrum -- that is to say, no interior artwork...just the book proper and illustrated endpapers on the two reprints, featuring the old covers of previous editions in full color (and, of course, the sig/limitation pages). The short-story collection has no such illustrated endpapers. But let's face it, with even minimal bells-and-whistles, they're still more handsome than 95% of what else is being published out there, and at $100 for the set, they're a steal.

I'm very much looking forward to reading them...this'll actually be my first time reading Taylor, as he was one of those authors that I never read back in the day, even though I saw his paperbacks at the used bookstores all the time. If he's half as good as Charles L. Grant, et al make him out to be, these books should be overdue treats.

Comment

Working...
                                X