Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I previously posted in the Random Thoughts thread about acquiring a book to complete a set I've been working on and it arrived yesterday. I was finally able to track down a copy of the Algernon Blackwood volume of Centipede Press's Library of Weird Fiction. I paid more than what I set out for with these titles as I hoped to stay in the $200-$250 range and was able to do so for Hodgson, Poe, and Lovecraft if I remember correctly. The Blackwood volume has always been out of reach, hovering at the $600 mark. I was able to get this copy for a few bucks shy of $400 including shipping from Germany. While it was way out of what I wanted to pay, I just don't think this book is going to get any cheaper in the long run.

Eagle-eyed people will notice that I am still missing the Aickman volume from the set. As of right now, my thoughts are only to collect the titles that I do not have a corresponding Masters of the Weird Tale volume. I don't collect multiple editions of the same book and the overlap of contents between the Library and Masters series are close enough to give me pause. I am having second thoughts about that course of action, but right now I'm sticking strong.

Anyways, VERY happy to finally have this set completed.
    Congrats — that’s always a good feeling to complete us at that you’ve been working on for sometime. The books look great together, continue to enjoy them all.

I’ve whined before about some years back being offered the chance to buy the first four volumes for $100, or $25 each, and passing on the offer…but I won’t repeat that sad, tragic, forehead-slapping story again here.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Iron Castle by Philip Jose Farmer from Meteor House.Nice little production. I had never bought anything from them however I wasn't disappointed. Nothing to flashy but a nice looking little book.

Iron Castle DJ Side View.jpg

Iron Castle Endpapers.jpg

Iron Castle No DJ.jpg

Iron Castle Sig Sheet.jpg
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Nice addition. I like the look of the book. I've never purchased anything from Meteor House so I appreciate the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          Iron Castle by Philip Jose Farmer from Meteor House.Nice little production. I had never bought anything from them however I wasn't disappointed. Nothing to flashy but a nice looking little book.

Iron Castle DJ Side View.jpg

Iron Castle Endpapers.jpg

Iron Castle No DJ.jpg

Iron Castle Sig Sheet.jpg
          Looks like a nice production, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Today was a fun and successful trip to the 2022 edition of the Fan Expo Denver:

Got to meet Stephen Graham Jones again today - got a picture this time and gave him a CD that we talked about the last time:
            DSC_5849.jpg

Also got to meet Jim Lee (comic artist extraordinaire) again for the first time since 1994.
            DSC_5844.jpg

Comment

TacomaDiver Looks like you had a good time. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

I received the two newest titles in Thunderstorm Books's Tempest line. The first is MUSCADINES by S.P. Miskowski. I've never the read the author but the novella has received good reviews so I'm very curious. As for the construction of the book itself, it is matches the same design characteristics of the previous Tempest titles, which, frankly, I'm torn on. I do really like the jacketless look and the material used for the boards is very nice. It's hard to get a good picture of it, but it has a nice sheen and texture to it. I'm not as much of a fan of the stamping. The roses with skulls and daggers aren't quite my thing. But overall it is a really nice production from Thunderstorm.

Comment

The second Tempest title is LAST NIGHT AT THE BLUE ALICE by Mehitobel Wilson. I passed on purchasing this title when it was done by another publisher (Necro, maybe?) and I kicked myself for a long time because I've heard really good things about it. So suffice to say, I was happy when Thunderstorm announced it. In addition to the main title it has a new novelette included that takes place in the same world as the original story. Also added was some nice interior art, which is a first for the Tempest line, I believe. I also really dig the endpapers in this one.

Comment

Love those end-papers as well. It looks great.

Comment

After A LOT of deliberation, and some encouragement from my wife, I finally broke down and bought a new espresso machine:
                        20220806_135259177_iOS.jpg

It's quite the step up from my previous Breville model.

After week, I feel like I'm getting better at making espresso with it - a lot more confidence.

So if anyone is ever in the area, come on over and I'll make you a tasty treat!

Comment

In addition to yet another harness for Rocinante, the latest SubPress book arrived:

Leviathan Falls by James S.A. Corey - Volume 9 of The Expanse

cover.jpgunjacketed.jpg

I do have to say this is a nice set displayed all together.
                          set.jpg

It is mind boggling what the asking price is for just a partial set - let alone a full matching numbered set of all nine books.

Comment

Great addition! You are very lucky to have that set. As you stated, the asking prices are bonkers for those books. I’ve heard good things about the series but haven’t checked it out as of yet.

Comment

TacomaDiver Great looking adds. The espresso machine looks a bit intimidating but cool. I've never been much into coffee but did fall in love with Cuban coffee when I was working a ton in Miami. Not sure I have had an espresso but I think they are similar.

Comment

Beautiful set -- like SM, I haven't read any of the series, but, also like SM, I've heard a lot of good things about it.
                                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Working...
                                X