Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just received my copy of Jeff Vandermeer's "Dead Astronauts". Did anyone else pick this one up? Would love to hear what you think of its presentation. I love how colorful the book cover is and love how colorful the book boards are themselves. Also loved the story being stamped into the book itself like his previous novel "Of Cities Saints & Madmen". All that being said, I hate how small the book size is. It looks tiny next to "standard" size novels. Feels like they traded size for color. While this will make a good reading copy, I'm really hoping someone does a limited!
    Well buck up, because SubPress Willy told me that he's doing an edition of DEAD ASTRONAUTS. Which almost made me cancel my Amazon order. But I am so glad I didn't because this is a beautiful trade edition. Obviously the materials used aren't that great (the paper quality for one) but they really went all out on the design. I love it. I don't mind the size at all.

Though it does bother me that it says DEAD JEFF on the spine.

Comment

Thanks for that info Jeff! That's awesome news as I was really hoping there would be a limited. I know his last few books were released as limited editions, but I didn't want to assume that this one would be as well as some of his earlier novels don't have a corresponding limited edition yet. On that note, I would kill for a limited edition of "Cities of Saints and Madmen"

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
        Thanks for that info Jeff! That's awesome news as I was really hoping there would be a limited. I know his last few books were released as limited editions, but I didn't want to assume that this one would be as well as some of his earlier novels don't have a corresponding limited edition yet. On that note, I would kill for a limited edition of "Cities of Saints and Madmen"
        I would be up for that as well. I have Finch but I haven't read it yet. I'll probably read Dead Astronauts before any of his other stuff. Because it's sitting there. Teasing me. Of course, I'll also buy the SubPress edition to match my Complete Borne number.

BTW: I saw that a lettered edition of Complete Borne sold on eBay for $152. A LETTERED edition. Letter UU. For $152. Why can't I ever stumble upon crazy deals like that????

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          I would be up for that as well. I have Finch but I haven't read it yet. I'll probably read Dead Astronauts before any of his other stuff. Because it's sitting there. Teasing me. Of course, I'll also buy the SubPress edition to match my Complete Borne number.

BTW: I saw that a lettered edition of Complete Borne sold on eBay for $152. A LETTERED edition. Letter UU. For $152. Why can't I ever stumble upon crazy deals like that????
          Know Exactly what you mean! I am dying to find a hardcover of "Finch" and haven't been able to find one under $300.00. One day...

Comment

Was on the fence about these, ] glad I got them. Comprehensive, no, interesting yes. These books weigh a ton, full of color slick paper. A really nice set. I'm a sucker for these kinds of semi-reference books. I am glad I settled on the lower price point.
            FF2.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]21841

I did open the King entry specially for Y'all LOL!!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mhatchett; 12-21-2019, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Neat!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                Was on the fence about these, ] glad I got them. Comprehensive, no, interesting yes. These books weigh a ton, full color slick paper. A really nice set. I'm a sucker for these kinds of semi-reference books. I am glad a settled on the lower price point.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]21842[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21841

I did open the King entry specially for Y'all LOL!!
                Very cool, Mike. I was on the fence about these, too, but decided to pass, as there was just too much filmmaker material. I still may grab a set, though…this is the kind of reference stuff that I really love, too, and it’s clearly a beautiful production.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Back in May, I had the opportunity to grab the original artwork for the letter G painting of The Mouse Guard Alphabet - artwork by Serena Malyon. Each letter of the alphabet featured a painted "spot" illustration, and then a fully painted page of what the letter represented. A is for Aviary. B is for Black Axe, etc.

Here's a poster of all the letters (I grabbed one at ECCC in 2018 that I always forget I have):
                  mg_alphabet.jpg

The G was cool because it's the initial of my last name, and I thought it would look really nice framed up.

It never got framed. Which might have been a good thing.

A couple of weeks ago, the accompanying full page page painting was offered for sale, but I had a hard time justifying the price. Well, the other day, the price was lowered quite significantly, and after working with the seller to negotiate even lower, I was able to purchase the painting!

So now I really need to get these two framed because I own the set.

G is for Guardmouse.
                  IMG_0793.jpg
                  (The blue tape is just keeping the sleeve closed - it's not on the painting.)

And what it looks like in the book:
                  IMG_0794.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                    Back in May, I had the opportunity to grab the original artwork for the letter G painting of The Mouse Guard Alphabet - artwork by Serena Malyon. Each letter of the alphabet featured a painted "spot" illustration, and then a fully painted page of what the letter represented. A is for Aviary. B is for Black Axe, etc.

Here's a poster of all the letters (I grabbed one at ECCC in 2018 that I always forget I have):
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21843[/ATTACH]

The G was cool because it's the initial of my last name, and I thought it would look really nice framed up.

It never got framed. Which might have been a good thing.

A couple of weeks ago, the accompanying full page page painting was offered for sale, but I had a hard time justifying the price. Well, the other day, the price was lowered quite significantly, and after working with the seller to negotiate even lower, I was able to purchase the painting!

So now I really need to get these two framed because I own the set.

G is for Guardmouse.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21844[/ATTACH]
                    (The blue tape is just keeping the sleeve closed - it's not on the painting.)

And what it looks like in the book:
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21845[/ATTACH]
                    Great additions!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      Great additions!
                      Thanks! I’m really happy with them. Now to just get them framed.

Comment

Excellent!!

Comment

Very cool — congratulations!
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Beautiful! Would love to see photos after the framing is done! Congrats!

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to check Michael's today and get an idea of what framing would cost. I have a few other pieces of art from this year's ECCC that I want to see what the cost would be too. It all might have to wait until a bit later, but it'll get done!

Comment

Those are pretty cool pieces. Having just done some custom framing the pricing at Hobby Lobby is way better than Michael's. Like hundreds even with a huge sale at Michael's.

Comment

Working...
                                X